• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

094014-snow_leopard_box_2.jpg

World of Apple reports that Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.4, termed Build 10F50, to select developers. According to the report, the update now weighs in at 581.3 MB and contains one documented minor issue.

Apple has also revised the seed notes accompanying the release to highlighting what it considers the most significant fixes brought in the update so far, including addressing issues with keyboard/trackpad unresponsiveness, Adobe CS3 application launching, and photo editing in full-screen mode on both iPhoto and Aperture. The notes also report that Apple has made improvements to VPN reliability, VoiceOver compatibility with iMovie and GarageBand, and braille display compatibility.

According to today's report, Apple continues to ask developers to focus testing their testing on the same five areas documented in the previous build seeded last week: GraphicsDrivers, SMB, USB, VoiceOver, and VPN.

Article Link: Apple Pushes Out Third Build of Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F50) to Developers

honestfool84

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
500+MB?! at this rate, i'll have over 4.5gbs of "security updates" when 10.6.9 comes out.

WTF? this is just a glorified service pack.

Comment

kyleh613

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
I take it the USB testing is so Apple can push out USB 3.0 support in future hardware updates?

Comment

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
500+MB?! at this rate, i'll have over 4.5gbs of "security updates" when 10.6.9 comes out.

Yeah. Would you prefer they just included fewer fixes? I'll happily download as many bugfixes as Apple has time to send me. Besides, Software Update strips out about 40-60% of the packages anyway, since a lot of them are things that were in previous updates, or for machine-specific hardware that you don't have.

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

Don't forget, this is replacing files, not adding more files. So The actual footprint of your system will stay pretty much the same (give or take a few MBs).

Besides, this is a developer copy, so Apple probably has a bit of debug code in there, too. When the final version of 10.6.4 comes out, it'll probably be smaller.

Also, who says .9 will be the last update? We've had 10.4.11. The period between the numbers is NOT a decimal point. If Apple adds another point update to 10.6.9, it does not turn into 10.7. It turns into 10.6.10, then .11, .12, .13, etc. Kinda wish people would figure this out by now or Apple goes to Windows' style of numbering: Mac OS X, service pack 6, bug fix 14 or whatever.

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

It is a service pack.. when has it been detailed that OS X x.x.x updates aren't..?

Also, as said before, the update will overwrite a lot of files; it isn't slapping an extra 550MB's onto your hard drive. The OS X 10.5.8 combo update is only 759MB's in size.. that includes all updates from OS X 10.5.1 - 10.5.8. I think that answers your statement..

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

it's called dependencies. you change something in one file to fix a bug, you might have to change something in another file that it depends on or just change it to not throw an error since you just changed the file version.

this is a nightmare with ^nix systems

Comment

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else

That's what an x.y.z maintenance update is. Usually there is no major functionality released in these updates.

I must remark that you chose your MacRumors user handle judiciously. :)

Comment

honestfool84

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
it was my mistake on thinking that the files did not overlap. i should have figured.

either way, it's almost a joke that they have to update it that often. can't they get it right the first time?

i'll tell you what: windows 7 isn't updated once every other month with HALF A GB update.

Comment

ikir

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2007

LOL!!! 99% is overwrite when installing. They don't stack lol.

Comment

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Mmmm GraphicsDrivers.. I hope a few of their developers/testers are running Steam. :D

Hoping they update the drivers for Nvidia 7 series cards so iMacs like mine can friggin run Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Starcraft II. The hardware is powerful enough …the drivers are just lacking.

Comment

ikir

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2007
it was my mistake on thinking that the files did not overlap. i should have figured.

either way, it's almost a joke that they have to update it that often. can't they get it right the first time?

i'll tell you what: windows 7 isn't updated once every other month with HALF A GB update.
Windows 7 is ****, pro users can see it, normal users can see that in 2010 it can't even open a PDF. It is totally OT.

Can't they get it right first time? LOL. You can apply this to every software house in the last 30 years. And again, patches also intoduce new features and drivers.

Comment

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California

No, they can't. Any OS that is this large and complex will have bugs and room for improvement. If they waited for it to be perfect it would never be released. On the other hand, maybe you'd be happier if they just didn't fix things?

Neither is OS X. The last update took five months.

Comment

cowcaster88

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
since they're focusing on the graphic's drivers I wonder if this will include the sound output on the new MacBook Pros through the Mini Display & HDMI? I have the problem where I'll plug it into my TV open one program it'll go through the MacBook's speakers then I'll change it and the audio will go through the TV, the open & close the program and the audio will go through the MacBook speakers again. Annoying...

Comment

honestfool84

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
Windows 7 is ****, pro users can see it, normal users can see that in 2010 it can't even open a PDF. It is totally OT.

Can't they get it right first time? LOL. You can apply this to every software house in the last 30 years. And again, patches also intoduce new features and drivers.

first off, i'm an avid apple user. i'm not a fanboy, though.

the one thing i hate about OS X, though, is that it was first introduced in 2002, and has since had 6 revisions.

that's basically the same thing as using Windows 98 and having 6 revisions.

Comment

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
I really wonder how Apple will continue to focus on Macs and OS X since iphone/ipod and ipad are becoming their bread and butter business. Not saying the Mac platform is going away anytime soon (since Apple requires devs to use it to make iphone/ipad apps), but you look at the banner for this years WWDC, it's all about apps and the iphone OS.

Comment

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Honest Question

Were the x.x.# updates in the past (10.4, 10.5)this large? Perhaps these files are so large for the 10.6 os is due to Apple ripping out non-snow leopard code and making it all nice an frosty? :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.