Apple puts a freeze on Snow Leopard APIs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eminemdrdre00, May 11, 2009.

1. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/11/apple-puts-a-freeze-on-snow-leopard-apis-freeing-up-developers/

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

So I guess this means Apple won't be releasing another seed until WWDC.

Perhaps the much anticipated Marble themed 10A355.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Why not - Apple is master at wording - they say a freeze on changes, but they've change APIs before when they've said that.
    Also, in the article Apple is talking no more "programming-oreintated changes". The codec is just audio - would we expect a H.264 change? The GCD tweak will be interesting to follow - at some point, if OpenCL, GCD are actually going to live up to Apple's word on being improvements, the benchmarks need to show this definitively.

So that leaves any non-programming orientated change open. Which as you mention, would still permit Marble.

Just as a quick q - was there a rapid release of builds prior to previous OS betas? There doesn't seem to have been one for 10.6 - whether that will be after WWDC - then give it 2 months...

Beat Windows 7 if they're releasing around Christmas...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/may/11/windows7-before-christmas

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I think what's going on now is engineers are gearing up for WWDC presentations and putting paper together in order to help dev's out at WWDC.
    Now that the major API's are doing good they can concentrate on WWDC for the next month. Developers now have all the API's they need to develop for SL without worrying about any changes.

Any further changes would most likely be cosmetic and bug related. Something developers really don't have to worry about because they have their own inner circle forums to work out bugs.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which rings my bells to make me think Apple is planning a Snow Leopard release sometime after WWDC with the earliest being in July and latest release date as back as late November. Although I think Apple may plan an iPhone and Snow Leopard release... that should proof interesting.

7. ihabime macrumors 6502

Yup, it does seem a bit late to be freezing the APIs if they plan on a WWDC release.

Anyone know what the average time between the API freeze and the release date has been for other OSX releases?