MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has revealed its official iOS 10 adoption rate figure in an update to its developer support website, showing that over half of devices that access the App Store are running the platform - a slightly slower migration than iOS 9 achieved last year.

As of October 7, the latest version of Apple's mobile operating system powered 54 percent of all iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices.

iOS-10-adoption-rate-October-800x364.jpg

Apple's numbers are lower than recent data obtained from Mixpanel's iOS adoption tracker, which put adoption at 55 percent on the last day of September. Just over two weeks after iOS 10 was released to the public, its adoption rate was recorded at 48.16 percent based on the same data feeds.

Last year, less than two weeks after iOS 9 was released, Apple said it was installed on more than 50 percent of active devices, making it the operating system with the fastest ever adoption rates.

iOS 10 had some early installation issues that could have put some off downloading the update, but features like a revamped Messages app with stickers, a Siri API for developers, and new facial and object recognition capabilities in Photos have ensured a steadily increasing install base.

Article Link: Apple Puts Official iOS 10 Adoption Rate Figure at 54%

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I would have expected it to be higher given its being pushed more actively.

I figure some people are hesitant to upgrade due to past experiences where a new version of iOS would run much slower on older devices.

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
I miss having swipe to unlock. Aside from that I haven't had many issues with iOS 10. As with pretty much all software it should get better as time goes on and more updates fix any of the minor bugs people experience.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It's staggering how quickly customers are adopting new versions of iOS on all their devices. It's a massive vote of confidence in Apple and everything they continue to do to delight us.

I am sure the coercion helps along. ;)

JosephAW

macrumors 601
May 14, 2012
Slide to unlock will be back in iOS 11 or 12 as a "NEW" feature just as finder labels and colors returned in OS X Jaguar.
[doublepost=1476184471][/doublepost]I'm glad I kept my iPhone 6 on iOS 8.

Reactions: LeadingHeat

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
It's staggering how quickly customers are adopting new versions of iOS on all their devices. It's a massive vote of confidence in Apple and everything they continue to do to delight us.

I have the opposite view. With people shouting about how iOS is better than Android beuase of updates and it seems a lot of people don't care about updates.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham

Good morning Phil.
It's practically magic.
[doublepost=1476187433][/doublepost]
Well it's pretty hard not to with them pushing reminders to your device daily if you refuse to update.

Oops, there it is.
Copying the W10 nag?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I would have expected it to be higher given its being pushed more actively.

I figure some people are hesitant to upgrade due to past experiences where a new version of iOS would run much slower on older devices.

You are correct on both points! I can't believe how annoying their push is! It's cut me out of other apps plus they changed it so you need to go to another screen to press 'later'. Unreal.

I know a pile of people who are afraid to upgrade for exactly that reason of a slower devices. Why bother if it's working well?

I haven't upgraded yet and not sure when I will. Maybe when I'm finally annoyed at all the popups.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I have the opposite view. With people shouting about how iOS is better than Android beuase of updates and it seems a lot of people don't care about updates.

The average consumer does not care. Tech enthusiasts usually do, these are the people that complain about the lack of updates. I know people who ostensibly consider software updates as discretional and only update when they perceive the update as a solution to a specific problem. I told a friend of mine, who is not that tech savvy, that iOS 10 adds quite a few features that I believe he would really like, such as the VoIP call screen. His response was that this is his personal phone and that he does not need to update. The reasons why he should go completely over his head. I feel kind of responsible, being tech savvy and knowing that updating is in his best interests for the security updates alone. As much as I dislike the idea of coercing users to perform potentially breaking or devaluing updates on their devices, there is a case to be made that on a whole this is beneficial to the platform and data security.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
It certainly is pestering, but am waiting for 10.1 before jumping, and wanting Apple to fix / revert back to the older (iOS 8/9) much more secure encryption for local backups (just on principle...weakening that stuff, presumably for their NSA friends, is something Microsoft does - bitlocker, elephant diffusor removal).

Reactions: ardent73

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Updating an iPhone 6+ to iOS 10... worst move ever. Have already restored and this thing is still crashing like crazy. Multiple people in my office with similar issues.

Interesting.... I've never experienced any such problems

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011

Really? I find it relatively low considering their pushy upgrade tactics.

I am truly disappointed in Apple's strategy of late. They are getting less and less like the Apple I love, and more and more like the tech giants I've always despised. Very sad.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

nvmls

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2011
I'd downgrade if I had the time and patience, also this was the last time I update on release version.

Both iOS10 and macOS have been extremely mediocre & half-baked, bland features, emoji/gifs ruined iMessages, bluetooth drops, battery drains, they put out betas like candy but barely fix considerable issues such as font rendering on macOS, finder still not remembering window size, safari still crashing and still no favicon proper use, unable to automatically convert flash and other media content to HTML5 without switching agent, graphic animations still lagging, app store download progress bar still bugged not showing or inaccurate, they didn't even consider dark mode which was repeatedly requested by tons of users over the years.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

vertsix

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2015
And iOS 9.3.5 is still being signed.

I don't think an outdated software release has remained signed for so long.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I've been an user of iOS 10 from beta 1 and I gotta say it's a huge improvement over iOS 9. Not just in terms of features, it's also way more stable. But I know that many people want to wait a while, to make sure the biggest issues are sorted out. My parents for example, they both have an iPhone 5s and don't want to ruin it because of some software update. My father's iPad Air 2 has been updated though (he does like the new notification and widget style!). And then there's my sister, who just 'forgets' to update every time because she needs her iPhone 6 all the time. :p

Reactions: haruhiko

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm still have yet to update my iPad Mini 2 to iOS 10. My iPhone's all have iOS 10 installed. I guess I'm just hesitant considering how old the Mini 2 is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.