Apple Q2 2005 Financal Results Webcast

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple will be webcasting their 2nd Quarter 2005 financial results at 2pm PT/5pm ET on Wednesday April 13, 2005.

As usual, Apple must note that "comments made during this call may include forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and that actual results may differ materially from these forward-looking statements."

Topics of discussion include units of Macs and iPods sold as well as revenue growth, while the Q&A session can offer interesting insights from Apple's management.

ObsidianIce

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Seventh Circle of Hell
SiliconAddict said:
Bet money that PowerBook sales have completely tanked and Mac Mini sales are through the roof.

I would disagree they. Very different uses. Small or not, you can't take a Mac mini with you and use it while actually in transit, or while temporarily at some location. I would think powerbook sales are close to the same but yeah mac mini sales are probably quite good.

sandau

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
SiliconAddict said:
Bet money that PowerBook sales have completely tanked and Mac Mini sales are through the roof.
Hmm, in my case, I BOUGHT a powerbook because I switched from a PC to the Mini. The 1 month Mini experience was so good I had to have a portable. And because of that I also bought a shuffle (looking at an iPod mini), a AE base station, all kinds of Apple stuff... and my girlfriend also now sports an iBook....

so I think (personally) the mini is a good thing, just like the iPods...it drives people to the good stuff...

But I do have a gripe with their supply. Announcing an item and not being able to buy it immediately drives the geek insane. Perhaps that's a marketing thing but I still have a bad taste in my mouth and I learned that expect 2 months after release/announcement before you can really get the good stuff.

what other things might be talked about at this event?

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
stock

stock has been goin down lately but i guess thats because the relative sales are down, nobody is buying panther because of tiger, fewer g5s and powerbook are being sold because of imminent upgrades in the near future. its only logical i guess.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
I hope to hear some internals on market share. If the whole idea of the Mac mini was to be a Trojan Horse for other Apple products, the market share numbers should be starting to move slightly. I saw a research report earlier this week that said a one-point move in market share is worth about $2 billion in annual sales for Apple; more Apple uses means more iSight, iLife, iPod, iWhatever users.

Surely Tiger will come up -- probably in the context of "our soon-to-be-released OS that will bring stability to the force," etc.

The PowerBook problems need to be addressed openly. I would have a hard time buying one right now without some decent feedback that says "problem solved." Plus, a new generation of PowerBooks is so imminent that people really are sitting on the sideline waiting for whatever's next -- speed bump, dual core, G5, etc.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
I always love these conference calls. I don't know why.

Products are never announced during conference calls - with one exception.
Last year during the Q3 call, it was "announced" that the new iMacs would ship with G5 processors.

Usually, there's the rundown of numbers in each segment of Apple's business (iMac,eMac,Macmini,iBook,PowerBook,PowerMac,iPod), and a Q&A session with investors where they try to squeeze information out of Oppenheimer n' Friends. Rather funny actually.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Mac Mini sales oughta be good. There is a 1 month lineup for the 1.42 GHz model at the "brick and mortar" store our company ordered from. They can't get as many from Apple as they want.

slaboda

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2002
Porchland said:
The PowerBook problems need to be addressed openly. I would have a hard time buying one right now without some decent feedback that says "problem solved." Plus, a new generation of PowerBooks is so imminent that people really are sitting on the sideline waiting for whatever's next -- speed bump, dual core, G5, etc.
Don't be silly. The Powerbooks were just upgraded a month ago and by all accounts have been selling briskly. Potential buyers know, because Apple has said as much, that there won't be a g5 in the PB for a while (at least 6 mo, cause they just bumped the line, but probably more like a year), given the thermal challenges. I'm not sure what other problems you refer to - I just bought a 1.67 15'' and it performs beautifully.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
slaboda said:
I'm not sure what other problems you refer to - I just bought a 1.67 15'' and it performs beautifully.
Yeah, but they made the wrong number bigger.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
srobert said:
Mac Mini sales oughta be good. There is a 1 month lineup for the 1.42 GHz model at the "brick and mortar" store our company ordered from. They can't get as many from Apple as they want.

Unfortunately, at the last conference call, they told us that the Mac Mini sales will be included in the iMac sales number they give us. :( They don't like breaking it down to specifics. :(

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
powerbook911 said:
Unfortunately, at the last conference call, they told us that the Mac Mini sales will be included in the iMac sales number they give us. :( They don't like breaking it down to specifics. :(
I'm curious to see whether this may diminish the margins on the iMac category. I can't think the margins on the mini and as large as those on the eMac, which in turn are smaller than the iMac. I understand why they would want to group them (keep the competitors of the home-buyers market guessing), but it does mean external analysyts have to be a little more generalistic in their assumptions.

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
I'm sure Apple has made advances to reach PC users. But, I still think there is an army of PC users like myself who are waiting for Tiger. I never have used an Apple. I never had even seen one in person till last weekend at an Apple store. I've waited 20 years of my life using computers and now I'm going to purchase an Apple. I can wait a month or two waiting for the latest, greatest Mac operating software. Just wait, I sense sales are gonna go through the roof with the OS release.

AppleFoussa said:
I can't wait to hear how good Apple is doing cause I know in the bay area they hit their goal (fact). But what I am the most curious about is how many PC switchers we reached with the mac mini.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
slaboda said:
Don't be silly. The Powerbooks were just upgraded a month ago and by all accounts have been selling briskly. Potential buyers know, because Apple has said as much, that there won't be a g5 in the PB for a while (at least 6 mo, cause they just bumped the line, but probably more like a year), given the thermal challenges. I'm not sure what other problems you refer to - I just bought a 1.67 15'' and it performs beautifully.

Which just proves the old adage "There's a sucker born every minute." :rolleyes:

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
The Mac Experiance

sandau said:
Hmm, in my case, I BOUGHT a powerbook because I switched from a PC to the Mini. The 1 month Mini experience was so good I had to have a portable. And because of that I also bought a shuffle (looking at an iPod mini), a AE base station, all kinds of Apple stuff... and my girlfriend also now sports an iBook....

so I think (personally) the mini is a good thing, just like the iPods...it drives people to the good stuff...

But I do have a gripe with their supply. Announcing an item and not being able to buy it immediately drives the geek insane. Perhaps that's a marketing thing but I still have a bad taste in my mouth and I learned that expect 2 months after release/announcement before you can really get the good stuff.

what other things might be talked about at this event?
First, welcome to the Mac experiance. You should fill out the questionare Apple has on their site. Sandau's experiance reflects my own, though my first Mac was a G4 tower that led to a Powerbook. It's this kind of transition that I think is, and will be, happening all over; once people get a taste of the Mac experiance they go all out.

I think the Mini will drive even more sales of higher end products. These financial numbers will be very interesting. I would expect that whatever they are, the next financial report will exponentially higher. This is what happened to the iPod; sales started out strong and were higher than expected, but then they went through the roof. I bet Jobs will have a bar graph chart in his next keynote showing the numbers just like he did with the iPod.

And Tiger will be the icing on the cake. I expect them to really promote this OS, more than the Panther. I also anticipate Apple letting other PC companies like HP or Sony to sell Mac hardware; it will probably start with the Mac mini, then the iMac, and so forth.

The Microsoft empire is crumbling and the barbarian hordes are storming the gates! The computer industry is going Medieval. ;)

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
TylerL said:
I always love these conference calls. I don't know why.
I'm with you on this. The conference calls are entertaining. I'm more excited for Q2 results than Tiger's release. . . maybe that is because I hold AAPL stocks.

My prediction: Apple will exceed analyst forecasts and AAPL will end up around $50/share. Things look good for Q3 with Tiger, iMac/eMac/PowerMac upgrades, the "slew" of new product announcements, and impending marketing onslaught. I'm not selling anytime soon. :D

BwanaZulia

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
Doesn't Apple have a history of releasing new products (or announcing anyway) on the Tuesday before the quarterly conf call? I feel ike that has happened more than a few times.

PowerMacs?
Tiger?

BZ

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
BwanaZulia said:
Doesn't Apple have a history of releasing new products (or announcing anyway) on the Tuesday before the quarterly conf call? I feel ike that has happened more than a few times.

PowerMacs?
Tiger?

BZ
Yes, that seems right to me. That would make sense Bwana. Maybe we'll see April 12 announcement and then April 22/23 ship date/in stores. That would be the same amount of time from announce to stores that iLife and iWork had.

Can you guys believe, if the original rumors had been true, we'd be only 9 days from having Tiger in our paws! :)

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Well, Wall Street's biggest question is whether Apple's making any money selling $99 ipod shuffles and $499 mac minis. You probably have to sell four Mac Minis or twenty ipod shuffles to get the profits you get from one 15" Powerbook.

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
powerbook911 said:
Can you guys believe, if the original rumors had been true, we'd be only 9 days from having Tiger in our paws! :)
Please, don't remind me. I'm still waiting for Tiger before I get either an iBook or PB.