Apple quality control ? Rmbp screen keyboard impritins?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfreak101, Sep 29, 2014.

1. macfreak101 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have a rmbp 13 inch and have been researching ways that will help me maintain it in a good way. I feel paranoid as you have to take care of the laptop as a baby. I have read that the imprints from the keyboard get stuck to your screen and it's a permanent damage? The oil from the fingers get stuck on the keyboard and then when the computer is closed i finds it way to the screen? If this is true it's horrible I mean the computer cost so freaking much and Apple hasn't taken any care at all? I mean you can't even close the lid what nonsense? Do I need to buy a cloth to keep it in between? Has anyone experienced something like this?

Your inputs will be helpful.
    Thanks

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Nope it's pretty much fantastic

I am on my second macbook pro, I look after them but do not baby them in any way, and I have had no issues with either of them, the 2010 is still superb after 4 years and my brother loves it. A few minor scratches is about it after 4 years daily use.

My new rMBP is still fantastic not a mark after 8 months, screen still perfect.

You are just massively overreacting to a very few number of people who have had issues and posting online, usually when it comes down to it these people have done something stupid to damnage their mac.

It is a laptop it will eventually get a bit beaten up, that is the nature of any portable device.

Tips; use a sleeve or a separate laptop bag, don't use any solvents on it, try not leave under a stack of books or with a lot of pressure on the top case. Other than that just use it sensibly and you should be golden.

3. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

That's so true but it being so expensive just gets me really paranoid.
    Do you keep something between the screen and keyboard before closing it? I'm guessing you have the rmbp so has anything happened? No scratches?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No I keep nothing between them at all,

I do use a dedicated laptop bag rather than just throw it in my normal bag but thats about it for my precautions.

If you waorry so much that you don't use it then it's not worth having just enjoy it and be careful not to drop it or spill anything on it.

5. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I know of some people that keep a cloth between their screen and keyboard when the cover is closed. I believe you can buy specific cloths for this purpose.

I go commando. ;)

6. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it necessary? If I don't keep one will it damage the display?

7. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I don't think so.

I think most of the screen damage were from the old white MacBooks and prior. They had plastic screens so they would scratch easier and residue that wasn't cleaned in time might hang around. Those glossy screens sucked.

The retina screens are made of glass, so cleaning is easier and the results are better. However, there are a bunch of people experiencing some loss of the coating, but they might have a defective batch of screens.

If you're really worried, apply a screen protector film. I've just posted a reply to another member that was interested in one of these.

8. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

If you are not using a cloth between the screen and the keyboard your screen is scratched. I guarantee it. The scratches are not terrible but they are there.

There was a post by an Apple Genius (I think - maybe just a store employee) on one of the other mac sites (9to5 maybe) who talked about this. The scratching is light but its there. Most people don't notice it but when they do the make a bee line to complain. He said Apple's policy is that the keys do rub against the screen and can leave some marks but they are within tolerance.

As I said, I use a thin cloth between the keyboard and screen so I haven't had any issues.

If you don't use a cloth and don't see any scratches don't go looking. Ignorance is bliss. :)

-P

9. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it necessary to apply a screen protector? How hard is it possible Apple one? I have read that the screen protector reduces the quality of the screen? And the screen protector is a one time use thing right? Can it damage the screen while removing it?

How is that possible? Such a freaking expensive laptop Apple wouldn't be stupid to create a laptop which cannot even shut? Can the marks be removed? What thin cloth do you use?
    Can you use any cloth? Is it better to use a cloth or a screen protector?

----------

Can you post a picture of the scratched screen? I have heard it only scratches when you apply pressure on the top like if you keep it between books or something? Otherwise it you notice there is a thin rubber layer around the screen that probably prevents it from touching the keyboard when shut

10. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Apple employees are not allowed to talk about Apple on public forums of the internet. They are discouraged from even viewing the sites.

No, the key really don't scratch / imprints on the screen. If they do that means you've put way too much pressure on your computer for the key and display to touch. Just get a dedicated bag for your computer.

11. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you completely sure about that? I mean they obviously shouldn't scratch it would be ridiculous if Apple built it's best selling computer and that computer couldnt even be closed without any protection? If that were true wouldn't the company provide it self or wouldn't it be mentioned somewhere?

12. leman macrumors 604

Let me put it like this — if there is a problem with your laptop and the keys leave imprints on the screen, its likely to manifest itself fairly early. So it will be covered by the warranty. My laptop is over two years old now and I never noticed a problem like that.

13. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

well cosmetic damages aren't covered by warranty!
    do you have the retina mbp?
    do you use a screen protector or a cloth in between?

14. Blueinternet42 macrumors newbie

Do the keys even touch the screen when the lid is closed?

I would NOT use a cloth because it may make things worse - if the cloth became contaminated with something sharp (a grain of sugar maybe) and you then trap it between the screen and keyboard....... :eek:

The laptop is designed to be opened and closed as is - Look at your screen and there is a tiny ridge around the edge, which I think (ISTBC) is the only bit of the lid (when closed) that is in contact with the base. Unless you use a cloth of course to fill up the gap between screen and keys!

Phil

:D

15. meson macrumors regular

My experience using Apple notebooks since 2003, is that yes applying pressure between the back of the display and bottom can and may cause keyboard marks/scratches on the display.

As a college student, grad student, and lecturer, I have carried my laptops in my bag with textbooks regularly over the last 10+ years. FWIW, I use a Timbuk2 messenger bag and sleeve (outstanding products by the way). The pressure from the books caused scratches on both the PowerBook G4 and the preunibody MacBook. It's just a fact of life. The scratches weren't noticeable to me while working, however easily seen when the display was off or completely dim. The scratches would take some time to develop > 1 year, but usually < 3 years. They are due to user error, and I would not expect them to be covered by AppleCare, and never tried.

Five months so far on my cMBP, no sign of scratches yet, and I just cleaned the display today. However, I do occasionally get oil smudges from the keys on the display. I suspect that the glass panel in this model will handle the pressure better, but time will tell. As far as the rMBP, I can't tell you whether you will get scratches or not. It depends on your use/abuse of the machine, and the coatings that are applied to the display.

If you want to avoid scratches, a screen protector would be the way to go.

I will say this, based on your posts over the past few weeks, you are being awfully fussy over the aesthetics of your machine. You have a few choices, use it only at a desk in a climate controlled environment with white linen gloves, apply a shell, and screen protector that you clean regularly, or lighten up a bit and use your machine as the tool it is. (To be taken as a bit of advice mixed with a little sarcasm and light ribbing)

I don't worry about keeping the machine pristine for the next guy, because I will use it until it suffers a hardware failure that will cost more than 30% or so of a new machine to fix or it no longer can serve my needs. So far, I'm getting a typical lifetime of ~5 years or so out my Macs, and couldn't be more satisfied.

16. leman macrumors 604

Permanent key imprints on the screen are certainly not cosmetic damage :eek: If the tolerance levels are so low that the fact of closing a computer damages the screen, then its a hardware flaw and has to be fixed.

Yes, I do

No I don't. Why would I? :confused: A cloth in between is much more likely to cause permanent damage to the display.

17. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

It is definitely not required or even necessary on the retina MBP. As the screen is made of glass, it's pretty difficult to scratch, but it does happen.

I edit photographs most of the day and the reflection and glare from the glossy screen interferes with that process for me.

The particular screen protector doesn't reduce the quality of the screen for me at all. It also does not produce any funny effects when I view the screen from different angles. The one I have adheres to the entire surface of the screen, so there is not gap between the screen and the protector. There are some models that only stick to the edges of the screen and the viewable area isn't directly on the surface of the screen - I imagine there is some small gap, but with that, it would clause some strange viewing effects.

This is the one I have...

http://www.amazon.com/Kuzy-Anti-Glar.../dp/B00C2CRDJU

I only recently applied it and I will likely never remove it for the life of owning this machine. I don't touch the screen or let other people touch it so I don't think it will get scratched. I imagine if you use a sharp object carelessly to remove it, you could damage the screen. I've had other screen protectors on my phones and I've removed them and reapplied them and they've look just as good the second time around.

However, the protector on the retina is so large it's probably not a good thing to remove it and reapply it. It's not that easy to apply in the first place. It takes some patience and skill to apply it so that it's perfectly aligned and there are no air bubbles or dust underneath.

18. Blueinternet42 macrumors newbie

Why I would never use one on a device like this - :p - personal choice though....

IMHO Screen Protectors are designed for devices carried around with you into all sorts of unfriendly environments - hard environments with possible dust, grit etc.....

Not for the domestic / office / university environment.

My MBP rarely leaves the house - if it does it's in a sleeve in a bag - done :)

:D

19. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

So do i need one or not?
    Is it fine if i use it naked?
    My mbp sits at home only and occasionally steps out with me?
    What are your suggestions/
    I personally find the concept of screen protectors for laptops weird ?
    I didn't even know that they existed until i saw them on the apple store.
    But again at the same time I'm scared reading various threads and stories online.
    i don't want to damage my screen.

20. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I use mine in different environments with lots of bright lights - and they reflect off the screen. I definitely don't use it to protect the screen.

I just can't use it if there is reflection on the screen.

----------

If I were you, I wouldn't use one. It's fine naked, and most people use them this way.

As long as the glossy screen does not bother you. Just get into the habit of not touching your screen with your fingers or objects and don't let other people do this.

I don't use mine as a screen protector, but to cut the glare and reflection.

As macfreak101 pointed out, if you're taking it into different environments, then it might be needed, but not necessary.

Also these 'screen protectors' are made of plastic - softer than your glass screen. If you ran a semi-sharp object up these surfaces, the plastic is likely to mark before the glass screen.

21. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

After typing I just turned on my flash light and saw the keyboard it had oil secretions from my finger I quickly wiped it but I'm wondering in circumstances if I forget to wipe it and if it reaches the screen then what?

Could you recommend a good bag to carry the laptop around? Including a slot to keep the charger and an external hard drive?

22. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Then clean the screen.

A cheap solution would be to use the piece of thin foam that came with the computer when it was new from the factory. Just make sure you always put the same side down.

I have a ColcaSac sleeve. It's more for protecting the exterior finish of the Mac. I don't think it has many other protective qualities about it. This sleeve is made of hemp so many people aren't really into it because it looks like a potato sack.

When I travel short distances, I put that in my Crumpler King Single backpack. It has a padded pocket on the inside. I throw the charger and hard drives, etc. into the main compartment of the bag. It doesn't carry much else as the laptop sleeve takes up most of the interior room and I don't want to damage my Mac. I've heard case of people putting their Macs in over-stuffed bags and having the laptop warp - a different bendgate!

I have another shoulder bag that I have most of my photographic gear. I will only ever take my Mac out of the house if I need it on location on a photography assignment.

This is usually a personal choice and dictated by your lifestyle and what you need your computer for.

23. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'm completely sure. You are OVERTHINKING. There will NOT be imprint of keys on your screen as long as you do NOT press down hard enough or apply force to your computer's screen.

Stop this thread. It's silly to even carry on. People who have imprints of keys are on their screen is because they press hard enough on their screen while it is in a bag or with their hand.

It is not their best selling laptop. The MBA is (the last I heard from last year).

24. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

After a while that oil will begin to saturate the screen and from the heat of the macbook once you close the lid, it will adhere through a bonding process that is extremely difficult to remove without technical and clinical processes.

25. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Get a Moshi keyboard cover and use that while you are using the computer. Once you are done, remove the keyboard cover. Residue oil from fingers problem solved.