iPad mini Apple quietly dropping price of iPad mini by $30?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PracticalMac, May 18, 2013.

1. PracticalMac, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I am starting to see a lot of retailers list the base, non-refurb, mini at $299, the latest is Microcenter

Before that was Walmart, and I think Target did too.

Apple is, or was, usually tight about prices for its products (edit: even those sold by other retailers), so it is interesting to see the so many sell at $30 off

And it is not the season for discounts.

Discuss.

2. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

3. psylence2k macrumors 6502

I always thought this was the ideal price for it to start off as.

I hope they keep this trend for future models and just start off the base model at $299, it's just such a solid and attractive price IMO.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Nope, Apple has not dropped the price.

Attached Files:

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Re-read the original post, the OP is talking about 3rd party vendors like Walmart, Target, Best Buy and now Micro Center.

So many have begun to drop the price so early into the life cycle of this product, so the OP is asking for us to discuss why this must be and why hasn't Apple stopped them considering they like to keep a tight control on pricing.

Apple also does price match other competitors, so in a way Apple is agreeing to this $299 starting price point.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Re-read the title of this thread.

7. Brittany246, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  8. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Reported a few days ago Apple was reducing the cost a bit because sales have been slow. Nothing else earth shattering nor is there a new iPad coming out soon either. Look it up ;)

9. AppleRobert, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013

AppleRobert macrumors 603

I live at Best Buy and never saw it discounted nor is it now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+iPad%26%23174%3B+mini+Wi-Fi+-+16GB+-+Black+%26+Slate/6208784.p?id=1218720728257&skuId=6208784

And I just checked Target's website, not discounted there either.

So this is a HUGE ymmv thread.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Then either you live at the wrong best buy or you don't notice things very well, it was on ad last week for Mother's day at Target, the iPad had a $30 (or $40) gift card offer but the iPad mini was reduced in price for $299

Walmart, Best Buy Cut Prices on iPad, iPad Mini
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/04/walmart-best-buy-cut-prices-on-ipad-ipad-mini/

Best Buy, MacMall drop prices on iPad and iPad mini, 3rd-gen model starts at $315
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...pad-and-ipad-mini-3rd-gen-model-starts-at-315

there was even a thread on this forum discussing this price drop
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1578422

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

"Apple is, or was, usually tight about prices for its products, so it is interesting to see the so many sell at $30 off "

Which implies that Apple is behind the discount, but as I posted their price hasn't changed.

Since Apples price hasn't changed, the resellers are the ones dropping their prices.

12. AppleRobert, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013

AppleRobert macrumors 603

Some of these links to ads and discussions are not current. Try going to Best Buy and Target now and get the Mini for $299.

Like I said, this whole thread is a BIG ymmv.

The 4th gen was discounted at Xmas, the 3rd gen had been reduced and discussed but most gone at all Best Buy locations.

If anyone ever got a Mini at Best Buy for $299, it probably was a price match. I never saw the price at my store for $299.

13. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

That's true, it's $329 at BB.com

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

And Target.com as well.

No need to give hope to folks that new iPads are soon on the way because of sporadic reductions so there is little left to discuss as far as I am concerned but if one wants to spin their wheels and drive to Target and BB looking for sales then by all means. :)

15. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

It has been at $299 at Walmart for a while. I got mine the week before Mother's Day. The price should be $299 anyway. Very happy with my purchase at that price.

16. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Its recognizbly cheaper to make a mini compare to fullsize so at 299, apple pretty much still make a lot per unit.

im just worry about ipod touch 5 lol. Wish apple could release sales figure separated by items.

17. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Thank you :)

18. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

A number of stores have or did offer Minis for less then what Apple set the price for.

In the past Apple was extremely strict about its partners selling for less then the set price (Walmart at one time only managed about $3 off on iPod Touch).

Why is Apple now letting these store offer its products for up to 10% less and then continue past the sales period and not crack down on them?

True it could be just a temporary relaxing of resale prices,
    or it could be the start of an eventual price drop.

19. darngooddesign, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013

darngooddesign macrumors G3

Correlation does not imply causation.

Maybe Apple is responsible, but you need proof that Apple previously told resellers what they had to sell the iPads for, or maybe they are trying to draw people into the stores and will make up the loss with accessory profits. I'm inclined to believe the latter of the two.

20. skaterboy macrumors member

I just purchased a mini at Target, they price matched the Walmart price of $299.00. I did notice last week target had them at $299 but they raised the price. I had a 5% coupon and I get 5% from my Target card so it came out to $275 before tax. No complaints. I agree with some of the posts and I'm not sure this late in the cycle I would have paid $329.000. The Walmart price at $299 feels right.

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

That's true. I got mine at Best Buy for the $299 price, by price matching, not because it's a new price at BB. It's still normally $329.

22. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Its common knowledge about the stringent price point ever since Jobs took over. MacMall and MacWarehouse used to sell tens of $ below anyone else, until Jobs took over, then it was exactly the same price of a Mac no matter where you looked.

I have seen some tiny price dips here ($3 or so) and there since then, but ever since Tim took over the discounts have been deeper.

And it does not matter how the retailers will recoup the loss, the fact they are doing about 10% less outside of Christmas time is quite notable. What will happen for Christmas in 2013, 20% off?

23. darngooddesign, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013

darngooddesign macrumors G3

If its common knowledge then you should have no problem providing proof.

I remember Microcenter running deals on Macs even while Steve Jobs was alive.

24. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Why do you discount the obvious?
    Yes, like you said, very easy to find proof.
    The frequency of discounts at a time when one typically does not see them seems unusual to me.

Again, is it a blip, or start of a trend?

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, AppleInsider has been linking to current generation Apple products sometimes being sold for HUNDREDS under, even when Jobs was around.

Seen this page before?

http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/#Current_Generation