Apple Quietly Eliminates Rose Gold 12-Inch MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced a new MacBook Air with 8th-generation Intel chips, a Retina display, USB-C ports, and up to 16GB of RAM, a machine that, all in all, sounds a lot like the 12-inch MacBook.

Apple did not announce updates to its smaller notebook machine, but it did quietly remove the Rose Gold color as a purchase option. The 12-inch MacBook can now be purchased in Silver, Space Gray, and Gold, but not Rose Gold.

[​IMG]

It's not clear why Apple has removed Rose Gold as a color option, but no other Macs are available in the pinker shade, suggesting the Rose Gold color is out at Apple. The MacBook Air, like the MacBook, can be purchased in Silver, Space Gray, and Gold.

Apple does not appear to have made any other changes to the 12-inch MacBook and its future is somewhat unclear with the addition of a powerful $1,199 MacBook Air with a Retina display.

Article Link: Apple Quietly Eliminates Rose Gold 12-Inch MacBook

2. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

3. sharleyP macrumors newbie

What a lovely day. They killed rose gold MacBook, MagSafe and Jony Ive apparently.

4. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

I'm still shocked the air got an update, I was expecting the MacBook to get the overhaul, 2nd usb added, faceID and Touch Bar. then kill off the air. the MacBook be "the most advanced Mac ever"

5. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

Isn’t this thing pretty much useless to their lineup now?

6. ondert macrumors regular

ondert

Now, MacBook Air replaced the 12" macbook? because the new MacBook Air uses Y class intel cpu, right?

7. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

I am thinking that the new iPad Pro is faster then the current line of Macbooks.

Apple's once secret war with intel is becoming more and more not-so-secret.

8. mdorais macrumors member

I think it's pretty clear that they removed both the regular gold and rose gold to replace them with that new gold color that's in between the two colors to match the new MacBook Air gold.

9. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

I just wish they would stop using intel's ******** built-in GPUs and bundle in their own. The GPU is the highlight of the new iPads

10. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Why keep the 12” which is clearly worse than the new Air? Either make it $999 or take it out of the line-up. Same goes for the 2017 Pro with no touchbar and the 2017 Air.

Hate to be that guy, but Steve would hate this confusing lineup.

11. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Such a strange lineup it has become.

I was expecting them to kill the 'Air' name since they did so with the iPad. which now has a 'regular' iPad and a iPad Pro. Then we got the (underpowered but expensive) MacBook and always had a MacBook Pro, which suits the lineup logic. But the Air is now still here. Instead I think they should have killed the name and gave this spec bump to the MacBook since they're so similar now.

12. BB1970 macrumors member

Bet the 12” gets an A13 chip at some point.
    Touchable iPads.
    Non touch low power consumption Macbook 12”.
    Non touch MacBooks with higher spec Intel processors.

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The right move would have been to merge the 12” MacBook and Air into a single updated machine and added a 14” MacBook to Air depending on the naming.

That would give users 4 size options across 2 product lines. There are a lot of users out there who don’t need a 15” Pro with 6 cores but would like a larger screen than the 13” Pro or Air offers. Staggering the sizes in the product line would make sense. A 14” Air could still have been 3 lbs or less.

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Looks like they've changed the gold to the new hybrid gold.

This is less killing the rose gold option, more making it consistent with the Air and Watch.

15. mdorais macrumors member

Yeah the question is, why are us commenters having to clarify articles on this site so often??

16. unobtainium macrumors 68020

The MacBook shouldn’t even exist anymore. Who would buy one, and why?
    If it is going to remain in the lineup, the price should have dropped dramatically. It makes no sense.

17. MysteryMii215 macrumors regular

MysteryMii215

My theory: The 12-inch MacBook and the 13-inch non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro will be discontinued when the iMacs get a refresh next year.

18. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Especially when comparing the FaceTime camera which is completely ridiculous (Group FaceTime in SD...) these days.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Took Apple long enough to realize no one wants a pink computer.

20. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

More expensive for less performance ― being thinner is a pro but the new Air isn't thick

21. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

Little girls do.

22. manu chao macrumors 603

The new MBA still weighs noticeably more than the MB (1.25 kg vs 0.92 kg or 36% more), plus it's thicker (17%).
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2018 ---
    When the 12" MB was introduced, it's main attraction (compared to then MBA) next to the Retina screen was it's smaller size and weight (920 g vs 1350 g). It lost some of its size advantage (thickness originally 13.1 mm vs then 17 mm, now vs 15.5 mm) but the weight advantage is still significant (now 920 g vs 1250 g).

23. bluespark macrumors 65816

What is the argument for the MacBook now? And I mean this as a serious question -- I genuinely don't understand.

24. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

The gold is now also iPhone 8 shade, so it's pretty much following the rest of the lineup. Kinda weird to update that but not the computer itself though :confused:

25. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

This MB is a piece of crap. I have the first model when it came out. It's useless. I only purchased it because it's small.