Apple Quietly Eliminates Rose Gold 12-Inch MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2018.

1. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

They are still selling the 2017 MBA? Jesus Christ.

2. subjonas macrumors 68000

Don’t forget the 12” MacBook is fanless which is a big feature for some.

3. sime0n macrumors newbie

4. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Good thing Apple didn’t update it since the original... oh wait

5. sime0n macrumors newbie

Weird. I love the portability of this. It’s my favorite macbook in the collection. I use mine almost daily since 2015.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2018 ---
    Still 2 pounds vs 2.75 pounds which is pretty significant. Trade off is weaker processor but the base model also comes with larger SSD vs MACBOOK AIR.

6. manu chao macrumors 603

Yes, that reinforced the take and use anywhere tiny appliance character. However, the new (2018) MBA is now also fanless.

7. effineji macrumors newbie

effineji

I assumed so too, but there is a fan in there. Another forum member posted a photo from the presentation.

8. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Nobody stops for a minute to check if what they are talking about is true, they are just going around and spreading misinfo.

9. manu chao macrumors 603

Ok, I jumped to conclusions based on TechRadar writing: "It's important to note that the only dual-core, 8th-generation Intel processor is a Y-series Intel Core processor crafted for laptops with fanless designs.", while talking about the new MBA.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 31, 2018 ---
    Actually I was googling 'new MacBook Air' and 'fanless' before posting my fanless comment. I just read the article that showed up first a bit too quickly where 'Y-series processor' and 'fanless design' was used referring to all(?) other laptops with those processors without explicitly referring to the MBA (in fact the article didn't actually say whether the new MBA had a fan or not, it merely discussed that other laptops with this Y-series processor were fanless and that laptops including the previous MBA with the higher thermal output, aka U-series, included a fan).

10. subjonas macrumors 68000

Before my post I checked and didn’t find anything about it being fan-less so I assumed it had a fan. Then I checked again after your reply and I only found one article mentioning fan-less:
    “It has adopted a completely silent fan-less design which means it can be limited when it comes to graphics power, but support for external Thunderbolt 3 GPUs could be the solution to that.”
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/applei...0/hands-on-with-the-new-2018-macbook-air/amp/

So now I’m thoroughly confused.

11. effineji macrumors newbie

effineji

Here's the post with the pic of the fan. #139

It is odd though, since it's a 5w chip and that, that it would need a fan.
    It would have made users like me who appreciate silence very jealous (and perhaps lead to more purchases), but I'm now curious if they've found problems with MacBooks (12").

My MacBook (12" 2017) has graphical glitches, showing weird flashes of garbled graphics from time to time.

12. bluespark macrumors 68000

Okay, thanks. Still seems like quite a bit of overlap, but maybe Apple will sort this out in the future.

13. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Because it has NO FAN.

I will never again have a fan in my life that I have no control over.

Fsck fans.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2018 ---
    What in the world does that mean?

Silent update by Apple?

14. marksilvester Suspended

--- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2018 ---
    Quicken Online has been a totally free, hosted solution (see software as a support ) from Intuit. Intuit hosted each the consumer's data, and provided patches and frequently upgraded the software automatically. Originally, this was started as a monthly paid subscription and was a totally free service for over a year. During the year it was free, it acquired over 1.5 million customers.

Then when Mac OS X came out in 1999 (host ) and 2001 (desktop), a new platform arose. Apple developed backward compatibility for OS 9 (and predecessors), therefore Quicken for Mac development lasted in an older platform database arrangement (PowerPC-based). Apple continued to encourage PowerPC-based apps (through Rosetta) in their Intel-based Macs in August 2009 (through Mac OS X 10.6). Rosetta was a temporary measure to encourage the eventual transition to completely Intel-based applications (achieved in March 2011 with the launch of OS X 10.7 (Lion)
    Quicken Premier
    Quicken Deluxe

15. msp3 macrumors regular

So I'm *still* looking for a Rose Gold MacBook. Where can I go other than just stores to check if any of them has old stock? Don't want to patronize any reseller scumbags, would be great if can get one at Best Buy as they're on sale...

16. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

Check Apple’s refurb store if you’re willing to go for a good as new one, otherwise if you can’t find any remaining stock in other outlets you’re probably out of luck... in that case the new gold is sort of mid way between gold and rose gold, you could go and see what you think in person?

17. dfs macrumors 6502

When Steve came back to head Apple it was in sorry shape and one of its worst faults was an insane proliferation of products. Thanks to this consumers became confused and even Apple's own salespeople were frequently baffled and Apple's assembly lines were so tied up in cranking out all this stuff that if one product was more popular than anticipated the company couldn't ramp up production to meet the demand. So one of the first reforms Steve instituted was to put an end to this nonsense by severely pruning the lineup of offerings. Under Tim Cook's leadership (if that's the right word to use), regarding the number of available laptop, iPhone and iPad choices, it seems as if Apple is backsliding and reverting to its old bad habits. For each kind of product it would make sense to offer no more than one entry-level, one mid-level, and one premium option (with appropriate customer-selected mods available for each offering).

18. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

A notebook lineup consisting of:
    MacBook (with or without Air moniker) in 12” and 14” sizes
    MacBook Pro is 13” and 15” sizes

Makes the most sense.

Right now there is a 12” MacBook, 13” Air, and 13” and 15” Pros. To me that doesn’t make sense.

19. ondert macrumors regular

ondert

Exactly.

First they released an entry-level mbp 13" nTB with 15w intel cpu (MacBook Air class cpu) as if MacBook Air is going to be discontinued.
    A few months ago, they updated MacBook Air but this time with a Y-class intel cpu which we normally see in 12" Macbook.
    This is so wrong. Both 13" nTB mbp and 12" mb haven't been updated yet and this time I wonder if one of those are going to be discontinued.
    Also, pricing on the MacBook Air is so wrong. With an additional 100$, you're able to get a 13" Pro, then why I should get Air? Almost everyone was expecting the same 999$ price for the new Air.

20. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

How interesting, why didn't Apple simply stick the standard alu look it always had?

21. calliex macrumors member

calliex

I was a Best Buy looking at all the new Mac stuff. I did not see a MacBook displayed so I asked where it was. The Bestbuy sales guy said I think they discontinued it. I went on their iMac and showed him it was still on Apple's site. He said he would have to ask the manager and never returned.

22. AxiomaticRubric macrumors 6502

AxiomaticRubric

It is the go-to macOS device for those who enjoy misery, pain, and suffering.

23. radiologyman, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019

radiologyman macrumors 6502

Due to fanless design and ultraportable form factor, it became my primary computing device, replacing desktop, MacBook Pro, iPad and even Iphone unless I am on the go

24. Takerouw macrumors newbie

25. appleofmyibook macrumors member

appleofmyibook

The first version may have been crap but I bought the 2016 one, and when I dropped it in 2017 and it went all weird, Apple kindly replaced it with the 2017 version for me for free.

I absolutely love the MacBook. I can completely get why people can’t understand it. On paper it does look underpowered and overpriced. I agree that it’s probably overpriced but if you’re a traveler for work, like I am, it is an incredible device. The people who are using the MacBook wouldn’t be power users anyway and would mostly use it for general emails, media, word processing etc. I present all of my huge keynote files on it, use it as a secondary laptop to my Pro for day to day work and it is an absolute pleasure to use. Barely stutters and really the only difference I notice is a few seconds more to open apps like Excel.

I still would prefer it to the Air. I just wish it had more than 1 USB-C cable and I wish the USB-C was thunderbolt enabled. I agree it’s not aging very well and needs a refresh.