Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I object to the summary of this article saying Apple changed the price from $4.99 to $1.99. There was never any indication that it was $4.99, only a rumor. That's just plain bush-league fumbling. Even the link provided doesn't cite any source.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I wonder if Apple will include the enabler in 10.4.9? It'll more than likely be in Leopard, but having it in 10.4.9 as well would be better.
Putting it in 10.4.9 wouldn't happen, because it wouldn't follow from their accounting situation. Even if you don't understand or won't accept that reasoning, they're not giving it away. You have to buy something to get it.

Mac Pro 5GB

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
Silicon Valley
My goodness, that's a lot of misinformation for one paragraph. The :apple:tv does not have a wireless access point built-in, so you need a separate wireless access point or base station to connect it to your network wirelessly. You can't transmit directly from your Mac to an :apple:tv. If you're using an access point that doesn't have 802.11n then obviously you won't get 802.11n speeds.

You can transmit directly from your Mac to your appleTV:

Relax and unwire.
If you don’t have a wireless network, you can set one up easily with a wireless access point like the superfast 802.11 AirPort Extreme Base Station. Newer AirPort Extreme-enabled Macs let you create a wireless network using only your computer. And if you have a Mac or PC without built-in wireless capability, you can connect Apple TV to your network using an Ethernet cable (sold separately).

The AppleTV has built in networking:

Ports and interfaces
HDMI (video and audio)
Component video
Optical audio
Analog RCA stereo audio
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
USB 2.0
802.11n wireless networking
Built-in IR receiver (works with included Apple Remote)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have a Mini, I am not complaining. But then again I just bought it as a holdover till Leopard. People really can't get over this idea of trying to future proof their purchases and so anyone with a CD is feeling fairly shafted.

I have a core duo macbook. I don't feel "shafted" in the slightest. I've had my macbook 6 months longer than anyone has had a core2duo macbook and have enjoyed it the entire time. I certainly realized that newer things would be coming along and that I might not have every bell and whistle that later versions would have. I got what I paid for at the time, and I'm happy with it. How exactly could I, or any core duo owner, complain about the fact that apple included a new technology in a newer machine? :confused:

idesign81

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
has no one read whats on msnbc.com?

vista just got extra publisity from msnbc.com, the report.. is of a reporter who gave up his mac for a windows.. :(
what a sad and gloomy day...
it seems that he luvs all the new features from vista.. like the gadgets u can put on the desktop.. which i recall, mac has "widges" for a while now.. but let me not get into it :)..

i wonder how many blue screens he has gotten so far.....

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
vista just got extra publisity from msnbc.com, the report.. is of a reporter who gave up his mac for a windows.. :(
what a sad and gloomy day...
it seems that he luvs all the new features from vista.. like the gadgets u can put on the desktop.. which i recall, mac has "widges" for a while now.. but let me not get into it :)..

i wonder how many blue screens he has gotten so far.....

If you read to the end, you'd realize he did not stay with Windows. He went back to Mac.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Works great with Buffalo WZR-G300N AirStation

and does it work with the "multitude" products?

I bought the WZR-G300N AirStation specifically for my MacBook Pro C2D and my Wife's MacBook C2D.

I have not had time to do any specific benchmarking, but observing my Wife and her "surfing", I can see, and she commented on the smoothness and speed of web pages loading.

The WZR-G300N AirStation is a fantastic product, when lots of people were experiencing problems with connections etc., before and after the recent update, we never had any problems.

The WZR-G300N AirStation is WDS friendly with the Airport Express and does not require and 3rd party firmware to make it work, you just configure with appropriate MAC addresses and your up & running.:cool:

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois

gwilli

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2006
London Town
UK here.

I downloaded a free update using automatic update. Is this the same? It was free too.

No, its the update needed in order to install the wireless-n enabler you have to buy from the mac store. If you don't install it you get an error saying that one of your volumes doesn't meet the requirements when you try and install the updater.

mdawson

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2007
I have no proof

I just downloaded and installed a legal copy from the Apple Store and my macbook pro now seems slower with my Belkin pre-n router.

I am hoping this is general internet slowness. Or a hallucination on my part.

--md

drcosmos

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2006
Why? What responsibility does Apple have for Netgear products? What responsibility does Netgear have for Apple firmware? Catch-22 for you, but them's the breaks with non-standard products.

Apple is only guaranteeing that pre-N speeds will work with its own router AFAIK. But thanks for Beta-testing for the rest of us :)

Seems strange that it doesn´t work. If we talk about the G standard which is a set standard that Apple and other manufacturers should follow and have working products talking to each other. My Macbook Pro C2D is not working with my NAS drive from Maxtor that is Mac supported by Maxtor. Tried to buy a new draft N router from Linksys but it did not work any better, really slow transfers. However, with three different PCs and a Linux machine it works flawless and fast within the network. Think Apple has some really bad things in their setup if they can not make a G network stream mp3s for instance. Called Apple and asked them for support but... they claimed that they do not support other router manufacturers nor NAS manufacturers that are claiming support for MAC. Have been reading at various of different forums the last three months since I received the Macbook Pro and seen that other users have problems similar to me and also problems with the IMac c2d.
Apple will have to stand in front of me fixing my network as I finally have ordered a Extreme router from them as it is their problem.
Let´s say I would have bought a car, would it not be strange if the car would not work with the standardized petrol for that car that the manufacturer would say they supported? Really would have thought that Apple had control over their hardware and that it was thoroughly tested before release.
At least my old pc is working but that makes me no happy as I really like the mac in other ways and want it to work.

drcosmos

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2006
it's. two. freaking. dollars.

get over it. people will spend money on a pack of cigs but complain for stuff like this. this is not a conspiracy, this is not about principle, this is not the start of future things to come, this is not the beginning of apple starting a new business model of charging money for seemingly petty upgrades. this is none of that. what this is, is two. freaking. dollars.

No, this is greed!!! Why always try to charge for anything? Their products are not the cheapest on the market, maybe to little influence as they are the only on the market with this kind of products. Other manufacturers like Sony have released firmware for their cd recorders to make them work faster but without charging for the update.

mousemd

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2002
shipping of router

Looks like according to my order status, my router won't ship until Feb 28th with scheduled delivery March 6th.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I was wrong.This is not a firmware update.Simply a new driver.On top of that it's only for not just Core 2 Duo's but Tiger only.

I tried to install the same software on my Leopard partition and 3 times in a row it installed on my Macintosh HD and gave me NO choice to install on the Leopard partition.And in Leopard it still reports 802.11 a/b/g..No n.

If this is worth anything.
Hope it helps.It's ticked me off.

Actually I wasn't expecting it to be a firmware update since Windows ID's the card as being N under bootcamp. I realized that last week when I connected to a friends N router under Windows. So much for it being a firmware thing. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.