Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvmelbrty

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2006
Gladly trade the additional 25k contacts for abilty to assign ringtones/text tones to entire contact groups!! .. Also want: Group management that allow create/modify/delete of groups... Find all contacts not in a group... Larger/higher contact photo resolution instead of that dumb little circle... Contact sorting features: date added, date modified.

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If we all had that many contacts, there would be no 6 degrees of separation.

Keven Bacon would be a friend-of-a-friend to all of us.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I wonder how long it took Apple to fix this... or how many engineers they had on this.

When I think about all the things I'd love Apple to fix... this never came to mind...

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
great news and still 100% free. people may laugh but there a lot of important people who need this number of contacts. it's good to see apple continuing to expand the capabilities of their vast iCloud offerings.

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
home sharing limit is still 2000 ?

I wish they would raise the home sharing limit too; because I don't have 11000 contacts, but I have that many songs in my iTunes library.

(as you may know iOS Music and iOS Video apps both have a home-sharing limit of about 2000 each).

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
sweet, I can now add all my facebook "friends"!

----------

ads. Clickity clack

So are the ads based off the pictures? If so, they are taking your pictures for this. Also, wasn't there some upload limit that you can only upload so many pictures in a certain amount of time?

I hate ads, I'll pay for something so I don't have to deal with them when I can.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I wonder how long it took Apple to fix this... or how many engineers they had on this.

When I think about all the things I'd love Apple to fix... this never came to mind...

They probably just flipped a switch... just like your broadband provider when they throttle your speed.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
don't think i've even met that many people in my entire life...

in my opinion raising iTunes Match to 50k would be much more valuable.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
Are business allowed to use iCloud on a corporate level? Else such huge limits don't make any sense I guess.

iCloud is for consumer use.

Those who use Apple devices for corporate probably use Exchange for email.

Gladly trade the additional 25k contacts for abilty to assign ringtones/text tones to entire contact groups!! .. Also want: Group management that allow create/modify/delete of groups... Find all contacts not in a group... Larger/higher contact photo resolution instead of that dumb little circle... Contact sorting features: date added, date modified.

Absolutely crucial.

Groups is essentially pointless if you can't see which contacts are in which groups (Very, very hard to sort).

Jonny1989

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Where can you find 50,000 contacts? Answer: At a very large optician. Bahahaha

I written that down years ago waiting for this very moment.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Hopefully this is a sign of changes to come...

Like maybe higher storage for free tiers?

And Photo Library being separate from iCloud Drive?

I can dream dammit!

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
14 years of using Apple Contacts (effortlessly migrating from iTools > .Mac > MobileMe > iCloud).... and still only 964 contacts. :)

----------

Classic example of modern entitlement syndrome.

Get off your high horse and PAY for what you want!

Why don't you write the check to Apple so the rest of us can have it free, if you are so eager to pay?

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
Im guessing that this increase is not targeted towards the average consumer, but some other groups, perhaps commercial. Somewhere someone who matters needs more than 25K and Apple fixed it, perhaps as part of other upcoming iCloud changes.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
How charmingly useless.

How about raising iCloud storage tiers? Flickr gives you a TERABYTE for free. A freaking terabyte. This is embarrassing Apple!

Yes but it would be far easier to reach a TB on iCloud than Flickr.

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I only have 86
lol...

I can't tell because mine never sync over to my iMac, but I think I'm at about 14. Excluding the 20 or so business contacts.

Anyone nearing 50,000 contacts has got to be 'in the business'... *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

Im guessing that this increase is not targeted towards the average consumer, but some other groups, perhaps commercial. Somewhere someone who matters needs more than 25K and Apple fixed it, perhaps as part of other upcoming iCloud changes.

Maybe for servers? 50,000 sounds stratospherically high to me. Just wading through the names for a wedding or a party must take days...

----------

My big complaint about iCloud is the huge jump from the first paid level of space to the second. For people like me, that's a lot of space that I'll never use, and yet I have to pay for it or find something else to handle backups, etc...

From 20 GB to 200 GB? Why no 100 GB for $1.99?

Last edited by a moderator:

B60boy

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2014
50K contacts supported on Contacts Mac App?

Does this mean the the Contacts app on my MacBook Air can support 50,000 contacts?

The reason that I bring this up is that databases like the old Bento and ACT usually have issues with so many contacts.

It must work other wise why bump up the limit?

Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.