Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Raises Prices in Europe and Canada as U.S. Dollar Remains Strong

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the high-end 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K Display was discounted from $2,499 to $2,299 today, Apple has raised the prices on several other products in Europe and Canada as the U.S. dollar continues to remain strong against the euro and other international currencies. The affected countries in the European Union include Germany, France, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Finland and multiple others.

iMac prices increased by between EUR150 to EUR300 in Europe per configuration
All non-Retina 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac models in affected countries are now between 150 to 300 euros more expensive starting today. The base configuration iMac, for example, increased from EUR1,099 to EUR1,249, while the high-end 27-inch iMac without Retina display rose from EUR1,799 to EUR2,099. Prices may vary slightly between countries due to applicable local taxes and tariffs.

Apple also increased the price of the Mac Pro by between 400 to 600 euros, with the base model going from EUR2,999 to EUR3,399 and the high-end configuration now priced at EUR4,599 up from EUR3,999. The base model Mac mini increased 50 euros to EUR569, while the mid-tier and top-tier configurations were bumped up 100 euros to cost EUR819 and EUR1,129 respectively. 12-inch MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air prices have not changed.

Mac Pro prices increased by between $200 to $400 in Canada per configuration
Meanwhile, the price of non-Retina 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac models increased by $100 to $150 in Canada as conversion rates continue to fluctuate. Similarly, the Mac Pro now costs between $200 to $400 more in Canada depending on the configuration, and Mac mini prices rose by between $50 to $120. The prices of various Mac accessories, including the Magic Mouse and USB-C adapters, also rose in both Europe and Canada.

Apple last raised prices in Europe, Canada, Australia and other regions in early March.

Article Link: Apple Raises Prices in Europe and Canada as U.S. Dollar Remains Strong

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2010
The U.K is safe... for now.

Oh, right, the prices were already ridiculous.

Thank you - I'm here all night folks!

Last edited:
Comment

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
People will complain but it's to be expected due to the nature of currency fluctuations and Apple's desires to keep price points fixed for as long as possible.

Comment

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
🇨🇦
People will complain but it's to be expected due to the nature of currency fluctuations and Apple's desires to keep price points fixed for as long as possible.

This is the right takeaway/analysis of the situation in my opinion. The price increases are simply Apple maintaining its profit margins amid currency fluctuations that are not within its control. It lowered prices in Canada and Europe back in 2011 when the U.S. dollar was struggling, so it goes both ways.

Comment

galrito

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
This is the right takeaway/analysis of the situation in my opinion. The price increases are simply Apple maintaining its profit margins amid currency fluctuations that are not within its control. It lowered prices in Canada and Europe back in 2011 when the U.S. dollar was struggling, so it goes both ways.

The problem is, at least here in Portugal, it only goes one way.

When the dollar was lower, a $1500 product used to cost here €1500, instead of, let's say, €1200. So that product was more expensive in Portugal, and looks like it's getting even more.

Comment

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

People ultimately complain because it's rare for other global companies to do the same thing.

I can't think of any tech companies that do this as regularly as Apple.

It's like how Apple prominently shows the amount of VAT (UK sales tax) it has to charge next to its products to try and shift the blame for high prices away from their pricing policy.

The "38mm Stainless Steel Case with White Sport Band" Apple Watch "Includes VAT of approx. £80.00." for example.

This means nothing to consumers in the UK - all comparable products will include VAT. It feels like the sort of stunt that would work well politically in the US.

Comment

organic bond

macrumors regular
May 5, 2007

The last increase was in March and at that time the EUR/USD pair was exactly at the same levels as of today, so there is NO EXCUSE for Apple to do this.

Comment

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
I heard they raised they raised the salary for all european Apple employees too?! :(:(

Comment

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I'm sorry but these new Euro prices are outrageously high! :mad:
Europeans are already paying over 200 - 300 USD more for almost every Apple Watch model...

Comment

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Looking at the canadian prices for the 15" MBP, I don't see it selling as much as it used to. It's severely under specked and the price blows the budget for just about everyone.

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Cool, this is a clever move because when the U.S. Dollar is strong, people's wages in the EU actually get raised. That way, consumers aren't paying more for tech that just yesterday cost €200 less.

No, wait, that's not what happens at all.

Again, thanks for the big 'screw you', Apple.

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Prices in Australia have gone up as well. Roughly between A$100-$400 across all iMacs. MacBook Pro's look unchanged.
As if you guys weren't paying enough already with the AUS tax. What a joke.

Comment

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Looking at the canadian prices for the 15" MBP, I don't see it selling as much as it used to. It's severely under specked and the price blows the budget for just about everyone.

So true. They increased their profit margins a lot with the retina models (even killed manual RAM/SSD upgrades). And they keep getting better, especially with the upselling marketing strategy. The cMBP 15'' base model was 1799€ (with a dGPU) in 2012. Now i am looking at a 2249€ price tag for the base model without dGPU and at 2799€ for the model with dGPU. Macbooks are getting luxury items (again). This isn't a good thing for marketshare and brand image.

Comment

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
🇨🇦
The last increase was in March and at that time the EUR/USD pair was exactly at the same levels as of today, so there is NO EXCUSE for Apple to do this.

March price increase was for the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPhone, iPad and Thunderbolt Display. This price increase is for the iMac, Mac Pro and Mac mini. I'm going to argue that Apple was doing its best to maintain its original prices for as many products as possible, but the U.S. dollar continues to be strong and the increase had to be made.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.