Apple Raises Student Price For Leopard to $116

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tylerdw89, Oct 16, 2007.

1. tylerdw89 macrumors 6502

That's a nearly $50 price increase from what Tiger cost students!

2. tylerdw89 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. weaverra macrumors regular

Obviously if a student is that strapped then they don't need to be spending the $69. A student can easily blow $50+ on eating out and junk. I am a student and if I want something I work and save for it.

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

Oh obviously, weaverra. In fact, responsible students should pay $199 instead of regular price, because they need to work and save for it instead of spending 50 dollars eating out.

I don't know where you're coming from, but when I was in college, I spent between 2 and 4 dollars on a meal unless someone else was paying. I ate more subway 99 cent mini sandwiches and taco bell bean burritos than I care to think about while I was in school. The reason apple gives a student discount is because they know if they charge too much, students are just going to download the software instead.

5. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I'm just happy that they lowered Canadian price to Par!! YEAH APPLE!! THANKS FOR BEING FAIR!!!

The Stig

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

If cost is an issue and you are not happy with what you already have and whant to change get Linux. It's free.
    Linux will run just find on both intel and PPC and has
    slightly better performance then mac OS X. Linux wil
    run all the same free softare as the Mac, Open Office
    and Firefox and the destop looks kind of, sort or not
    to different. So starving students don't have to choose between buying software and food.

The other free alternative is of course to keep Tiger.

7. dethl macrumors regular

At least some of you will be able to get 10.5 when it releases - I'm still waiting for my university to fix the little mess they made with a stipend I receive (mind you I was supposed to receive the first half about a month ago). Until that happens no Leopard for me :(

$116 is just damn steep for EDU though. Money doesn't grow on trees with us college folk.

8. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

I find unfair that gov. employees get the thing for cheaper than students, that makes no sense to me... But I guess students are closer to torrents, P2P and others of those great discoveries... Well, fair enough... They'll find a way!

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Leopard $69 for institutional purchases. If you work for a department, I suggest trying to make a group order at the lower price.

10. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

But it's still not up to what Windows would cost ya :)

11. dranakin macrumors 6502

I've actually heard of a few universities (UW-Madison, I think is one) that sells Vista Ultimate through their student store/student dorm computing services for $10. Not mine, though.

$116? I had my card out too, ready to pre-order. Now, I have reservations.

12. weaverra macrumors regular

You could earn that in one week EASY.

13. RL600 macrumors member

I had my card in hand ready to pre-order. Once I saw the education discounted price, I closed the window. :(

14. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

There's always a market for blood and semen. ;)

15. weaverra macrumors regular

Obviously if those referring to the card as in CREDIT CARD and your too broke to pay cash for such a small item your spending money you don't even have anyway. Don't know why your complaining. What's the difference in spending 40 more dollars you don't have? This is not a must have. Ya'll are acting like Apple is the bad guy. It's a BUSINESS to MAKE MONEY.

16. sananda macrumors 68020

this is very odd.

17. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I'm a lifelong student, where's my discount? I just read a book, cover-to-cover!

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Or, perhaps, just enough money grows on trees to buy expensive computers but not enough to pay for the software? This is absurd. No one "needs" Leopard, except for developers. Paying for software is the way most of the world works. $116 is not a ridiculous price on the US market (less than the typical cost of textbooks for one class at pretty much every university I've ever attended), and your university certainly has the right to try and negotiate an extended site license on your behalf that would bring it to you at less expense.

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have been out of school for about a year now, and the thing i thought i would miss most, was the Apple student discount, be seeing as how they are taking it away on almost, I don't really mind. Plus no HW!

20. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Besides, it's good news for shareholders. Squeeze those little students, squeeeze 'em!

21. weaverra macrumors regular

I'm not saying this for all student's but I can attest that a lot of students don't even pay for their schooling and blow every penny they earn working on partying and Xbox 360. They have money it's just a matter of how they spend it. A lot of students have money because mom and dad are forking the bill. I see some of the cars these "poor" students drive.

22. dethl macrumors regular

I never purchased my G5. It was handed down to me and I had to repair it to have a working computer. Still works amazing to this day.

In comparison to Tiger, Leopard is quite a bit more expensive. I'm not saying I'm not going to buy it, its just gonna leave a bigger dent in my wallet than I expected. $116 is half my paycheck (I work part time on campus).

23. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Can we dry our eyes and get over this please?

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. That applies to all of us - in College or not.

24. weaverra macrumors regular

That would not be wise esp if your paycheck to paycheck. I've done this many times and cut it really close. I will never do it again. You will never regret saving for it. Oh if I could only go back to when I started working and save all the money I spent like this. I'm 22 still in college. I have worked my way up in the job sector and doing fairly well for not being graduated yet. I would suggest saving the money and then make your decision. You might get down the road and decide you don't need it that badly instead of getting it now and wishing you hadn't later on.