Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
A drop in the bucket as iUnemployment still rages on. Please, I would rather not digress further into PRSI nonsense though.
At least Apple is pulling their weight. Their revenue per employee is astronomical.

If you want to bitch about anyone, start with most of the other 499 companies in the Fortune 500.

"Why aren't you guys as profitable as Apple? Steve Jobs gets paid one dollar a year. What is your CEO making?"

So yeah, Apple 1, Recession 0 is true. The problem is that Apple's competition isn't contributing as much to pull the world economy out of recession.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Everyone here does have a point.
Nowhere else have I seen people line up for hours just to beg the Apple staff to take their money.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Can you get a Ford car at a Holden dealership?
Can you get a Hungry Jacks (Burger King in the US) burger at MacDonalds?
Can you buy Apple computers at the MS store?
Can you buy Donut King donuts at Krispy Kreme?

I think you get my point. You do not have to (and many don't) sell the competition's product at their store.

You might want to get your sarcasm sensor checked :p

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Face-to-face, sarcasm is one of my favorite rhetorical devices. On the internet, though, I never use it because it is *always* misunderstood.
That's why you're supposed to us emoticons like ;)

Still there's always a chance at misinterpretation, particularly by people who aren't native speakers of whatever language the comment was made.

For sure, dry wit is far more clever than outright sarcasm.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
No surprise here.

How the Dark Days seem sooooooo long ago now. I remember when the only place I could find Mac software was either through the MacMall catalog or my local independent certified Apple reseller (not that the latter was a bad thing).

This amazing growth means one thing: the grass really is greener within the Walled Garden. :p

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Well this is hardly surprising. But it's interesting to see some of the numbers that constitute their ridiculous growth. Many other companies could learns some lessons here...

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
Coming to Fashion Place

Wait, where do you work? Are we talking Utah county here? What makes you think this?

Apple is building a store at Fashion Place Mall.

Personally I think something closer to Utah County would have been better but I suppose there is a reason I am not in a retail planning career. The Gateway store will continue to serve much of SLC proper (especially the lucrative areas in the Avenues, Federal Heights, Harvard Yale, etc.) and the Wasatch Front northward. The Fashion Place mall will grab most of the rest of SL County and the southern half of the Wasatch Front. It seems odd to have them so close together but perhaps it will work out well.

The Gateway store has been one of Apple's most productive stores on a $ per square foot basis (at least that was the case in the reports I've seen in the past). This new store will relieve some of that foot traffic. Gateway has always been extremely busy, even relative to Apple standards.

What I would like to see is Apple grabbing a larger store in the new City Creek Center. Probably a better location for winter time traffic.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sarcasm.

Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

As long as the first thing in your sig continues to exist, and a ton of junk to preload it on, Apple will do just fine.

Excuse me for living in the real world where all good things come to an end. I never said it was going to be soon; but one day it will.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Ok...first, I gotta give Apple a big thumbs up. But also one must look at this simple statistic in a few different ways:

1)Apple, unlike Gap or Staples or Walmart, sells items that BEGIN at the $500 mark and likely average around $1700. Except for the iPod line of course (which nobody buys at Apple anyway) and the low end iPhone.

2)Apple is basically a somewhat new retailer...and only sells its own products. Walmarts and the other giants have been around for much much longer. Thus Apple's "growth" it like any other new kid on the block who sells 5 items year1 and 15 items year2 and 50 items year3, etc....sure the growth is there, but one can always grow quite well in the beginning.

3)While the world shops online (like me with Amazon and BB and other retailers), you kinda need to go to an Apple Store before you plunk down $1700 on a Mac or $500-$800 on an iPad. You want to try it out. This would explain why the brick and mortar Apple Store sells more than online Apple. I would guess there is also a lot of upselling and cross-selling (apps, extra "connectors", and even a more expensive unit) which is not very easy to convince onliners to do (the technology is there to suggest buying something, but many just figure "ahhh, I'll buy it later at the store if I need it" or "nah, it's just the typical marketing garbage trying to get me to buy more"). Humans are much better than machines at persuading you to buy something. :)

4)We all know (and love or hate) that Apple makes a huge profit on each product while also having 0 sales a year. Good for them. Meanwhile other retailers are pumping out flyers and promos and specials and coupons every week...that's the traditional retailer way for like 50 years. The exceptions to this would be the very very small niche of retailers that only sell their own products (Apple, Bose, Sony Store) who may choose never to have a sale. BB makes very little on the computers, tvs, refrigerators, etc. it sells. It makes its real money on accessories, service, and support. Sure, there's always the fool that walks into BB or Sears and pays full sticker price for an overpriced brand-name tv.

Again, nice to hear regarding Apple. But a few things to ponder the "statistics" that folks love to publish.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Apple stores are a monopoly and should be shut down. I went to the Apple store to pick up a Dell and a Galaxy Tab the other day, they did not have either one. How can they get away with not selling their compeditors products and doing so at a loss so they are all cheaper than the Apple versions.

Apple quality is also anti competitive. They should be forced to have a larger number of defective units. While they are at it, how about letting their competitors write their advertising for them. Can we pass a law making Apple products ugly?
Seriously, do you seriously think he's serious? In all seriousness, you need to find your funny bone and wake it up! :)

He was Kidding!;)

Found my funny bone! It was hiding under my miserable day which started with a flat tire and has continued with my day at work. Sorry guys :eek:

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Ok...first, I gotta give Apple a big thumbs up. But also one must look at this simple statistic in a few different ways:

1)Apple, unlike Gap or Staples or Walmart, sells items that BEGIN at the $500 mark

wrong. retail inventory begins at around $20.

2)...and only sells its own products.

wrong. they sell all sorts of inventory not made by apple.

having 0 sales a year.

wrong. apple retail stores do have at least one sale.

one can always grow quite well in the beginning.

wrong. most business fail within the first year, including retailers. apple's just doing it right.

BB makes very little on the computers, tvs, refrigerators, etc. it sells. It makes its real money on accessories, service, and support. Sure, there's always the fool that walks into BB or Sears and pays full sticker price for an overpriced brand-name tv.

which is it -- BB makes very on their TVs (low margin), or BB has overpriced (high margin)? cant be both.

a few things to ponder the "statistics" that folks love to publish.

id rather interpret the sales data than believe you know what youre talking about.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I once went to an apple store and it was cool, yay apple products.

Then another time I went to an apple store we went to get my friends itouch fixed and they did it all quick like a boss at the genius bar, yay for genius bar

Then the third time I went to an apple store, for my friends replacement cord from their warranty, we got attacked by a bajillion apple store workers asking us every 5 seconds if we needed help, we were swarmed, I hated it.

Never going back to an apple retail store due to that malicious swarm. It was like a zerg rush happening every 5 minutes.

Aside from that woo hoo apple, getting advertising and sales, a companies dream from a store! :apple:

RWinOR

macrumors 6502

1)Apple, unlike Gap or Staples or Walmart, sells items that BEGIN at the $500 mark and likely average around $1700. Except for the iPod line of course (which nobody buys at Apple anyway) and the low end iPhone.

I have purchased mice for $69.00 software for <$29.00, several ATV <$100, several routers <$100, from the local Apple store, so what do you mean prices start at $500.00?

I think the point is the Apple stores are an inviting environment. People like to go there the staff is extremely helpful. Not the new kid syndrom, but the wow I can actually talk to a salesperson who has a clue syndrom.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
wrong. retail inventory begins at around $20.

1. wrong. they sell all sorts of inventory not made by apple.
2. wrong. apple retail stores do have at least one sale.
3. wrong. most business fail within the first year, including retailers. apple's just doing it right.
4. which is it -- BB makes very on their TVs (low margin), or BB has overpriced (high margin)? cant be both.
5. id rather interpret the sales data than believe you know what youre talking about.

I added the numbers in your quote...I will address each:

1)You mean the iPhone cases and "bumpers" that are in each store? Or the 2 different iPod speaker system thingies? Ok, maybe they don't sell *ONLY* Apple products but gosh golly every store has to have some kind of accessory for at least 1 product. Walk into any Apple store (or Bose for example) and you will see 99.9% of the stuff labeled as Apple (or Bose) compared to other retailers that sell a variety of items.

2)I have never ever seen a sale at the Apple Store. Please alert me when you get the flyer in the paper or hear the radio/tv ad...or if you are there, snap a photo. Maybe you are referring to the back-to-school promo where you get an old iPod with your $1700 Mac or this year it's a $100 gift card to App Store. I don't call that a sale. A "sale" is when something "goes on sale for a discounted price" for a period of limited time such as 1 week or 30 days. I have never, ever, seen iPads, iPods, or Macs at the Apple Store "on sale". Ever.

3)Where did I say businesses were supposed to fail...or weren't failing? I think you are referring to the statistic that most RESTAURANTS fail the first year...not a "business" which is a much broader category. Regardless, you missed my point/example about growing year after year beginning with year1.

4)I was pretty clear on the BB thing...they make almost zippo on the major items because they are always "on sale"...and make all their profit on accessories, service, and support. Ask anyone (like my friend who runs Promotions at BB Corporate HQ) and they will tell you that electronics retailers make very very little on the major purchases yet make a killing on the accessories (gotta love those $150 HDMI cables or $29.99 6foot Cat5 cables or the $29.99 cell phone case or the $29.99 power strip) YES...there is ALWAYS AN EXCEPTION TO ANY RULE and I gave you the example of the person walking in to buy a tv at full price rather than the "sale" price it was offered at a week ago or even coming up 2 weeks later. Yes, stores LOVE to sell you something at 100% full retail, non-sale price. They are more than happy to see you. However, a very high percentage of BB-type-consumers DO NOT pay full price because they see the darn stuff "on sale" every 2-3 weeks so they wait...or bring in a competitor's flyer and get it matched.

5)I think you should relax a bit and not take every single syllable of my points too literally. It's Friday...chill out.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I think the point is the Apple stores are an inviting environment. People like to go there the staff is extremely helpful. Not the new kid syndrom, but the wow I can actually talk to a salesperson who has a clue syndrom.
I wonder what Apple store you went to. The last time I went was the blinding sunshine of my knowledge that appeared to scare the pants off of the employees. (The looks on their faces was one of fear. I was delightful to watch it change from inviting to one of terror.) I even recall locking horns with the manager.

Still, going to a store to pay full retail price; be elbow to elbow with Facebook browsing window shoppers; or deal with the Geniuses is a waste of my gas and time.

I would much rather take it to the local AASP just over a mile away and have my problems resolved instead of the usual run around I received at the Apple store or wall of denial.

Don't even remind me about our Apple rep.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Pick 2 of 3 things you need to be successful.

1) Price
2) Quality Products
3) Support & Service after the sale

They don't have to be cheap because they have the other two. People look for a good value, not always the "cheapest" thing out there. No one buys a car based on price alone, otherwise we would all be driving Geo Metro's and some Chinese brand that was under ten grand.

Value for our money is what most people ask for. Apple provides this, so they are growing when other companies are all selling the same thing and competing on price. (with little/no support after the sale.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.