Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hstewart

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That and the European standard of micro USB plug for all smartphones (simplifying power chargers) would imply a shift away from 30pin dock connectors.

Please not - I hate these connectors - I actually have trouble with iPod connector connecting on devices - but I have more with Micro ( not Mini ) connector.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I haven't seen a Thunderbolt port yet but could they fit that to an iPhone?

Thunderbolt isn't just the size, it uses a PCI bus. Apple would have to implement a non thunberbolt bus along with a PCI bus and thunderbolt controller. There's only so much room inside iOS devices.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
It's not publicly released, but it has been scientifically tested, so what would you like to hear?

Lots of "science" said that cigarettes were safe as well, until large scale epidemiological studies showed that long-term that was not true.

Would you buy a house under a 300 kV transmission line?

hstewart

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
I haven't seen a Thunderbolt port yet but could they fit that to an iPhone?

Thunderbolt is similar to mini Displayport - which is not a bad connector

The problem I see with the Thunderbolt connector this is an Intel technology and I doubt you going to see it on ARM - now if Apple could switch there phones / tablets to the Haswell cpu in 2013 then it would be totally awesome. Right now my biggest complaint on the iOS series - is that they are two slow compared to OS X computers Also limited multitasking and reduce memory.

----------

Thunderbolt isn't just the size, it uses a PCI bus. Apple would have to implement a non thunberbolt bus along with a PCI bus and thunderbolt controller. There's only so much room inside iOS devices.

Solution - switch to Haswell ( Intel SoC for 2013 ) and have bus on chip and faster cpu - more memory.

Vermillion9494

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Smaller dock and Thunderbolt support? I hope so. It would greatly increase the need/want for a Thunderbolt port on your Mac and would probably get a lot of people to upgrade their Macs just for this boost in syncing speed (including me).

iPhones/iPads/iPods are never getting a Thunderbolt port. There is no point in having a port like that when iDevices can't even saturate a USB 2.0 port... The flash memory (and its controller) inside of the iDevices is the limiting factor when it comes to syncing speed, not the interface port.

People need to stop saying this; I fear one day I might roll my eyes so far back that they'll get stuck like that :rolleyes:

thebudda

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
Sumter, South Carolina
Why not a mag connector?

What are the limitations of doing a mag-safe style connector? For that matter you could barely recess the contacts and have the connection just below the surface allowing for quite a bit of room spared inside. Since there'd be no need for a connector with tabs for releasing it you would a slim, flush end and also have the advantage of not needing special adapters or taking a phone out of a case to connect, you would just stick it in until it connects. You'd also get all of the safety benefits of a quick release system just like the Macs. It'd be nice.

hstewart

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
Thinking about it - just go with straight inductive charging port and any data connection just do it wireless - skip the entire connection completely. Unless anybody see needs for emergencies.

hstewart

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
Haswell for iOS devices? :confused:

I believe Intel demo a phone base that was low power and faster than any ARM device - this is year a way - but I would love to see Apple on one cpu technology and there is no way ARM is suitable for OS X. It at least could be done for the tablet - put hopefully the phone.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I'd be more inclined to think that they altered it slightly to be able to handle USB 3.0. It will probably be backwards compatible with the current dock.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Thinking about it - just go with straight inductive charging port and any data connection just do it wireless - skip the entire connection completely. Unless anybody see needs for emergencies.

That kills all kinds of great uses for these devices that rely on the dock connector, especially audio and music. It would be extremely stupid.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Thunderbolt is similar to mini Displayport - which is not a bad connector.

But, it is not a small connector.

And the T-Bolt connector is physically exactly the same as the mini-DP connector.

----------

That kills all kinds of great uses for these devices that rely on the dock connector, especially audio and music. It would be extremely stupid.

I <3 

What does "I is less than 3 box" mean?

EBSkater

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

We reached out to iMore's Editor-in-Chief Rene Ritchie who said that the report came from a "solid source". iMore also made headlines recently by predicting the date for the iPad 3 launch, which is believed to be accurate.

Article Link: Apple Readying Miniaturized Dock Connector for Future iPhones?

Oh, is that the same moron who keeps calling the next iPhone the iPhone 5? Considering that we already have the iPhone 5 here, which Apple decided to call the iPhone 4S.

Anyways, to those talking about the mini dock port not being compatible with the current accessories, don't forget that the FireWire plugin attachments have all changed shapes and sizes as well. I'm sure that there'll be adapters, like there always is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.