Apple really crippled the iPad with only 256mb ram!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richard371, Nov 23, 2010.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

I have no idea what apple was thinking by only having 256mb ram. Had Beejive running in the background, went to play real racingHD and when I went back to Beejive it reloaded and the 4 browser windows I had open had to reload also. This is not a multitasking machine with 256mb.

2. AngelusV macrumors newbie

Has Beejive been optimized for Mutitasking yet? An app has to be optimized for that feature. I personally use IM+ (your competitor), and it works so-so. It hasn't had an official 4.2 update either, so my windows reload. The program itself doesn't, but be sure it is 4.2 compatible. I looked on their itunes page, and it says nothing about it.

3. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Yeah, it's pretty limiting with multitasking a lot of apps. Typical first generation though - make us want to upgrade when the new model with more memory and cameras come out!

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I have not noticed this so called "crippling". In fact, with the updated OS, I think it works even better.

5. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

You dont even know what you are talking about smh

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

We all have been knowing that iPad had 256MB ram since back in April. So, why are you complaining about this now after 7 months of release?

256MB Ram is fine with my iPad.

7. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Sure, more RAM would be better, but I really do not see the great limitations of "only" 256. More processor speed would be good. More of everything is good.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

+1. The performance improvement is noticeable. One area, in particular, is how responsive and accurate word(s) selection is. Double tapping a word used to be a game of chance. Now it's actually more Mac OS like.

At any rate, the iPad just feels more "alive" - which shows, to me, just how much effort has gone into this upgrade, especially considering just how smooth the iPad was under iOS3.

Fast app switching must be designed into a particular app, otherwise you're just restarting it. Perhaps Beejive hasn't been updated to support multitasking yet.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Beejive says it's updated for 4.2. They say it can do background transfers. No idea if the OP has that version.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's good at saving state when it's killed off to give memory to another app, though.

Probably because he just got the 4.2 update with multitasking.

10. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Games will generally soak up a lot of memory. It's hard to judge multitasking based on running a high res 3D game.

I agree that more RAM is always better, especially with multitasking. I don't think 256mb "cripples" the iPad in any way. It works great, and most typical Apps use considerably less than 100mb.

11. vw195 macrumors 6502

OP you are exactly right, dont let anyone tell you you are wrong. 256MB is truly shortchanging this wonderful device. Upgrading to 4.2.1 should lessen the impact though by using Apples faux multitasking. I know in 3.2.1 it was near impossible to run more than 2 apps

12. yankintx macrumors 6502

I love my Ipad. I think crippling is a bit harsh! Of course I don't feel the need to play games and have multiple other apps running in the background. I will run Pandora in the background while surfing the net, and it works just fine for me.

What was Apple thinking???? How many did they sell?

13. clyde2801, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It seems to do okay for most people using most of the apps. I really don't expect to have five things going at once on mine, especially if one is a game. After all, it is a tablet device, and not a miniature imac.

That being said, apps that will be increasingly memory and processor intensive and require more of everything until they demand that the hardware is augmented and upgraded. Tis the way of the digital world. Apple didn't invent that, but they do take full advantage of it.

14. vw195 macrumors 6502

The 256 Megs is built-in obsolescence. No one ever calls Apple on this, but its a trend. Ha thats why I bought AAPL. Keep upgrading people!

15. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately truthful statement

16. big samm macrumors 65816

I remember Steve said that we wanted a device between the Mac and the iPhone and then he slaps us with a nice iPad with 256mb of ram pffff
    the current iPad feels like the 3GS on 4.2.... I don't have a single game on my iPad... a lot of apps still closes even the one that's compatible with 4.2 Why do you guys think 4.2 took so long to come out? they had optimize the s*** out of this os for it to work with 256mb of ram.... I'm pretty sure that if the iPad would of came out with let's say 512 or even 1gb of ram 4.0 would of came a lot more sooner...

17. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I'd like an iPad with 32 GB RAM and 1 TB storage, retina display extreme, and 7000 hour battery life. Is that too much to ask at $500! Anything less is just not up to my fantasy.

Realistically, 256 MB RAM is good enough. I honestly am not trying to be a fanboi, but with OS 4, my iPad works better than ever and didnt cost me a cent. If you are experiencing worse performance, maybe consider doing a fresh restore.

Keep in mind how astounding the $500 price point seemed when announced? The profit margin on the iPad is less than the usual Apple product, so clearly this is what they could offer at the time. Obviously the part cost/performance goes down over time and the next iteration of iPad will have more RAM.

18. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Yeah but Uncle Steve says it's "Magical & Revolutionary, so it seems that's all that matters.

19. DrFillster macrumors member

These fanbois kill me. The iPad is absolutely crippled. Don't get me wrong. I love mine and it does a great job. But just think how well it will do when I can switch browser views without having to reload the page everytime.....

20. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I don't experience page reloads in 4.2. Sure, the software could use further refinement but all this "crippled" talk is hyperbole.

21. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

I wish people would stop crying about the ram. the ipad is not a computer you are not doing anything that is going to take that much ram xbox & ps3 only have 512 and they do just fine with gameing and that is the biggest thing you are going to do on your ipad.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you don't like Apple users on an Apple forum, you might want to leave.

Something stinks like MicroSheep.

23. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I think it needs firewire, DVI and HDMI, and a desktop grade 6-core processor.

24. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

25. bri1212 macrumors 6502

How do we close a thread which is used only to flame

I think the OP's biggest problem is not that he thinks the Ipad would be better with more ram. But that he intends to inflame the Ipad users with sound bytes rather then facts and data. Is their a way that we can close down ridiculous threads with no possible use other then to inflame? This would be the next one I would close.
    I for one can't wait to see what more ram would make the ipad capable of doing, but, I for one ,use mine everyday, and have never felt crippled by its capabilities.