Apple... really?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by droeun, Jun 24, 2010.

1. droeun macrumors member

Server was down so couldn't make reservations. Ratio of people allowed through the door is 15-to-1 for reservations vs walk ins. Got here at 4:30am & it's noon, and I've only moved 7 feet (have been in the very front of a mile long line). Meanwhile Betty Joe strolls right on in at 10am (10AM!) & walks right out with a new phone.

Come on Apple, get it right.

2. Tommeh macrumors member

Given the number of preorders they did get it right.

3. Nocaster macrumors regular

I hope it rains where you are.

4. droeun thread starter macrumors member

I'm just saying, a pre-order or reservation should just guarantee you a phone, but shouldn't give priority in line when countless others have been waiting hours ahead of you. If you weren't lucky enough to have your order processed then you're just S.O.L.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

6. scorpiusdeus macrumors member

First, I think "really?" id the most annoying and overused comment lately. :D

Second, it's not like we all haven't been throug this before. Bring a backpack chair and make some new friends. I did when I got my 3G when they first came out.

Smile, soon you'll have an iPhone 4g and all will be right and good in the world.

7. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Why not? Those were the rules and you knew them before getting in line.

8. Nocaster macrumors regular

I have a guarantee of my own. I guarantee you that if you were one of the "lucky ones" with a reservation, and the lines were moving at a 1:1 ratio, you'd have posted a thread complaining that all the Riff Raff who couldn't be bothered to make a reservation are getting their phone before you.

c'mon rain!

9. Corey213 macrumors member

At Mayfair Mall in Wisconsin our apple store did 10 reserves and 10 walk ins.

It went smoothly

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Seriously?

The one question unanswered is: Was Betty Joe hot?

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm really not sure what the answer is here.

I was a pre-orderer that got let into the store after 3 other pre-orders had gone in. The walk-up line booed. I know they were booing the store and not me, but still...I'm sure that being put in that situation is not what Apple was intending for me.

I can certainly see the logic of "pre-orderers get priority," but at the same time it kind of made me uncomforable to be receiving that preference. So I'm not sure I can endorse that idea fully.

There's no 100% "right" answer, unfortunately.

12. Razeus macrumors 603

Your sense of entitlement is amazing.

13. ashVID macrumors regular

They can't just open the line to everyone, how could they hold the reserved phones? That is the entire point of making a reservation right? Whether it is a nice place to eat or having a reserved parking spot. You planned ahead and are rewarded for such. I think it would be much worse for someone to reserve a phone and be denied because someone who did NOT reserve one got there before them. Let's apply this to the parking space analogy. How would that go down? "Dude, sorry, I was here first."

You want a phone on day 1 and without a reservation, you'll have to wait and wait. As I stated in another thread, many locations are allowing walk-ups on day 2 to pick up all unclaimed reservations. My guess is that in many stores, you will wait only 10-30 minutes tomorrow morning. You are paying the price for fighting the day 1 crowds, not Apple's fault.

ash =o)

14. fs454 macrumors 65816

Just 20 phones? Crazy, the store I was at was moving 600+ and counting with a line down an entire wing of the mall still to go when i left.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They know they have x reservations. So put x phones to the side. Then, whatever's left over, give out to the other line.

I'm not crazy, am I? That should be easy to do, I would think.

That has nothing to do with whether or not you admit people on a 1:1 ratio or a 10:1 ratio.

To be clear, I think the reserved folks SHOULD have an advantage, but it should have been 2:1. That would mean that pre-order folks were getting seen twice as fast as the walk-ups. That's a good advantage.

But the store I was at was working on a 4:1 or maybe even a 5:1 ratio. That just seemed like too much to me.

16. droeun thread starter macrumors member

I agree, I wasn't upset with the people with pre-orders but mostly at Apple. Every 30 minutes or so you'd hear clapping because that's when they'd finally let the 1 guy in from the walk-in line.

17. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem. It seemed like for every 5 reserved people, only 2 non-reserved went in. Made things go by very very slowly.

This is probably my last time camping out, next year I'm going to just have it delivered.

18. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

Look at half of these posts! You're not dealing with rational and conscientious grown-ups here! There are posts on Macrumors actually wishing disappointment and failure on people!

I pre-ordered and got it yesterday. Won't be going anywhere near an Apple store for at least a week but I wish all the best to those who want to brave the crowds! :)

19. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Dont worry. By 7 or 8pm tonight after non-picked up reservations are released you may move a feet closer to the door or move even more feet back home.

Next time, wake up at 4am and place your order.

20. droeun thread starter macrumors member

I did wake up at 4, and I did place the order but their servers crashed. Next time, learn to read.

21. GirlFriday macrumors newbie

You're lucky... The store I was at did 30:1. So people that stayed all night were pretty pissed that people that walked in at 7:00 am got in and out. It should have been the same rario... For every 10 reserved phones, 10 unreserved phones... Only fair...

22. camel517 macrumors member

23. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Totally made me laugh out loud! haha :D

24. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Why didn't you go to AT&T where they did paper pre-orders. I stopped by at 6pm on the 15th, they wrote my info down in 60 seconds. AT&T then provided all their stock to pre-orders, is holding the phones for each person, and we can walk in with no lines at any time to pick it up. It's been very easy and stress/line free.

25. bova80 macrumors 6502a

How do you know Betty Joe didn't get their iphone 4 yesterday and was just going in to get a bumper?