Apple Recalls iPhone 3G USB Power Adapter

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by zxem, Sep 19, 2008.

1. zxem macrumors newbie

2. starcrossed macrumors regular

apple.com has all the info. It won't be long before the criticism comes out, at least this recall there are prepared to do the swap in store rather than just rely on the mailing route.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yup saw this in Mail.

I don't know if I am going to bother to exchange. Not a big deal it you unplug an adapter like a normal person and not twist the plug and yank. It should be fine... I love how small it is...

Attached Files:

4. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Thanks for the info. I'll exchange it when the time comes: any excuse to go to the Apple Store. :D

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I couldn't agree more! I'm planning on getting my new iMac 24" sometime soon, so I will do it then I'm thinking.

6. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple Recalls iPhone 3G USB Power Adapter

[​IMG]

Apple has issued a recall on the USB power adapter included with the iPhone 3G. Apple has received reports of the metal prongs breaking off of the adapter and remaining lodged in power outlets, creating the risk of electric shock.

[​IMG]

According to Apple's support article on the recall, the adapter was included with every iPhone 3G sold in the US, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Peru. The adapter was also available as a standalone accessory in those countries, as well as Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, and Panama.

Apple notes that replacement adapters, which will not be available until October 10th, will contain a green dot on them in order to make identification simple.

[​IMG]

Affected users may order a replacement adapter via Apple's web-based form or in person at an Apple retail store beginning October 10th.

Article Link

7. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

8. BMP1199 macrumors member

Just put my order in but I'm not going to not use my adapter for a whole month... that's a little ridiculous.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

10. emt1 macrumors 65816

I'm not surprised. Apple's hardware quality has been going down the tubes over the last few years. I think I'm going to go the hackintosh route...

11. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

12. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

That sucks, but I'm still going to use mine. If it breaks, it's not really a big deal. You just flip the breaker and pull it out.

13. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

haha agreed :)

am i the only one glad apple recalled it? i dont want to be electrocuted :(

14. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i bought a USB adapater for Ipod Touch in August...is that affected?

15. spacetycho macrumors member

spacetycho

may the iphone recall wars begin!

i hope this is the only thing outside of the many everyday iphone issues we already have to deal with.

my senses tell me this will not be the only iphone related apple product recalled.

?

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I don't use mine currently because its hard as heck to get the USB plug back out of it. Hopefully I don't have to worry about that anymore. :eek:

17. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Ya the problem is not everyone knows that. :rolleyes: This is what happens with aesthetics come before quality. This was preventable with quality design and construction. Any reason to the contrary is just a lame excuse.

18. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

I submitted mine for the mail/ship so I will stay out of the Apple Store. The last thing I need right now is to go there......

19. Maxamillious Suspended

I think this was a very wise move on Apple's behalf. Despite the negative press that could follow Apple still followed through in concern for it's customers safety. :)

20. juice831 macrumors member

ahh now I can't use whitenoise and charge at the same time while i sleep!

21. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

That's really funny. I just purchased a 3rd party docking station so I don't even use the charger anymore. Will still exchange it though.

I don't think this necessarily makes the charger "bad". It sounds to me that stupid people are pulling it from the socket incorrectly causing it to break. Shame on the user. Not necessarily Apple.

22. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

:rolleyes:

OK, well if people don't know not to stick their finger into a wall socket to pull out a metal prong, they have bigger problems than a faulty adapter from Apple.

23. thedommer macrumors regular

I wonder if I can just not send back the old one. that means Ill have 2! :D

24. James17 macrumors 6502

Doesn't affect me as I'm in the UK so I don't have to fear being electrocuted.

"Exchange Program" :)

25. neoserver macrumors 6502

I normally use my iMac to charge my iPhone, but I'll order the replacement via mail anyway. You just never know when it might break (I do unplug like one is supposed to, and I'm no fool when it comes to electricity... OFF before you do any work)

Glad they've admitted the problem (I didn't know about it before hand) and are taking action.