Apple reccomends removing cases to charge?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Goldinboy17, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

So apparently Apple reccomends you remove any cases before you charge your iPad so it can properly dissipate heat and not cause any damage to it. Problem is, I want to use an OtterBox defender case. Probably the thickest, craziest case out there. Does anyone know if it would be a wise move to use it or is it really not necessary to remove the case every time I charge it? I don't want to damage it.

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

You don't need to remove the case every time you charge it'll be just fine with it on.

3. xraytech macrumors 68020

Really?

Where did you hear or read this?

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

What's the point of getting a sleek thin device only to put a huge ugly case on it?

5. zipur macrumors 6502

There is too much love in Southlake Tx. for Apple

I can't find an IPAD anywhere, I already have a the Targus case, so thanks for the tip

6. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I didn't buy it because it is a sleek thin device and number two I want to provide protection to it. Use the otterbox on my iPhone and LOVE it.

7. Meever macrumors 6502a

I never once took out the original iPad out of it's case for charging.... ever.

8. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I think this is just a disclaimer to cover them in case something does happen to your device should it heat up while in a case. I personally would still charge it in a case unless I noticed it feeling warm, or placed my hand on the screen and could feel warmth coming through.

9. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

How many iOS devices are out there with covers or cases on them? And how many of those users actually take them out of those cases to charge them?

This is just Apple lawyers putting a line out there to cover their butts in case your iPad gets too warm & burns your house down, they can blame the case.