Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNet reports that IBM has filed a lawsuit against former employee Mark Papermaster for accepting a job at Apple. Papermaster was IBM's vice president of microprocessor technology development but recently accepted a position at Apple to begin in November.

IBM claims that Papermaster is violating his prior employment agreement by accepting a position at a competitor and may divulge IBM's trade secrets to Apple. Papermaster reportedly has authored several papers on PowerPC chip development and is considered a "top expert in Power architecture and technology."

CNet speculates that Apple's interest in Papermaster was due to of his experience in both chip and system designs. Papermaster's expertise in system design--putting together the entire package of processor, chipset, and the rest of the guts that form a computer--could serve him well at a company that prides itself on soup-to-nuts design.Of course, Apple could also be interested in having Papermaster help with their recent P.A. Semi acquisition. Apple has been said to be working on their own ARM processors for use in the iPhone and iPod Touch. If Apple wants to continue its strategy of designing and building complete systems, hardware, software, and now chips for iPhone and iPod Touch, it's going to need someone who can predict the future of chip design and advise Jobs and Apple's executive team on how Apple can best take advantage of those trends. Papermaster, with a unique set of skills in the tech industry, might be just that guy.

Article Link: Apple Recruits IBM Chip Designer, IBM Files Lawsuit

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That's what you get when you sign and violate a non-compete.
****wads.

Comment

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
What's with all the PPC and Apple recently?
If this was like...3-4 years ago, good for them. But they made the switch to intel. As far as we know, 10.6 isn't going to be PPC, and we for sure know that 10.7 won't be.
Wouldn't it be better to get insiders from Intel or something?

Comment

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
PPC is dead. THis is to make apple's next gen iphone's arm chip an atom killer.

Comment

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
Hey, if the guy signed a contract with IBM thats how business works.

Comment

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
Should be interesting to watch. But yeah, PPC? I think it must be more for the iPhone. Maybe for a tablet mac in the future too??? :rolleyes:

Comment

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
Super Cool, sounds like just the right person to lead Apple with right chip technology.

Sad IBM won't let this person work without a rumble. you can't stop people from earning a living!

Comment

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
If this was like...3-4 years ago, good for them. But they made the switch to intel. As far as we know, 10.6 isn't going to be PPC, and we for sure know that 10.7 won't be.

And you probably thought the same when Mac OS X was thought to be PPC only. :p

While Apple won't support 10.6 on an old PPC Mac, that doesn't mean future PPC systems aren't supported in the labs today.

With the quantities that Apple is shipping today, they can't get locked into a single vendor.

Comment

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
That's what you get when you sign and violate a non-compete.
****wads.
AFAIK, non-compete agreements are not legal in California, although they are in NY state. As the violation will take place in CA, I am not sure how a NY court judgement might apply. Besides, if IBM is not working on an ARM product, but if he will be working on such products at Apple, he could argue Apple is not a competitor.

Comment

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Papermaster? That name sounds too good to be a real name. Sounds phony, like Art Vandelay.:p

Comment

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Wow, that'd be a dream job if I knew anything about chip architecture.
But if they ever switch to cheesies, I'm ready for the call.

I'm not sure about the dream job part (ignore if it was sarcasm)

For the cheesies... I'll give you a tough competition on that!

Comment

im-a-ppc

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
Papermaster? That name sounds too good to be a real name. Sounds phony, like Art Vandelay.:p

I assure you that Mark Papermaster is a real person, having worked for him for over 10 years. I guess it could all turn out to have been a dream...

Comment

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Judge will throw it out, Non-Competes are total bs. You can't prevent someone from pursuing their livelihood.

Comment

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Is the iPhone going PowerPC? Back when it was used in the Mac, one of the issues was performance per Watt.

Comment

sebastianlewis

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
San Francisco
Wouldn't it be better to get insiders from Intel or something?

Talent is talent. It doesn't matter if they're from IBM, Intel, or working at some other company, their skills are still valuable to Apple for whatever reason Apple ends up hiring them.

Sebastian

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.