Apple References Unreleased Sleep App for Apple Watch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors reader Daniel Marcinkowski has uncovered a reference to an unreleased Sleep app for the Apple Watch.

In the App Store listing for Apple's preinstalled Alarms app on the Apple Watch, there is a screenshot of an unreleased version of the Alarms app with a "Sleep" label and fine print that reads "set your Bedtime and wake up in the Sleep app."

Similar functionality is available on the iPhone through the Bedtime tab of the Clocks app.

There is no Sleep app or references to a Sleep app in the Alarms app on watchOS 6.0.1 or watchOS 6.1 beta, but MacRumors uncovered evidence of Apple working on a Sleep app for the Apple Watch in an internal build of iOS 13 last month, so Apple likely shared this screenshot too early by accident.

The new Sleep app on the Apple Watch will provide users with an overview of their sleeping patterns, as well as send users bedtime and battery charging reminders. Apple Watch users will be recommended to have at least 30 percent of battery life to wear it to sleep, according to an iOS 13 string seen by MacRumors.

Apple's sleep tracking functionality is referred to as "Time in Bed tracking" based on internal iOS 13 code, with one string noting that "you can also track your sleep and get woken up silently by wearing your watch to bed."

When released, the Sleep app may have a dedicated watch face available, according to the internal iOS 13 build.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman was first to report that Apple was testing sleep tracking on the Apple Watch. Back in February, he said Apple plans to roll out the feature by 2020 if the testing is deemed successful. This follows Apple's acquisition of the iPhone-connected sleep tracking accessory Beddit in 2017.

Did I just find a mention of the unannounced Sleep app for the Apple Watch? 🤔 https://t.co/J41JlCIyPI pic.twitter.com/4gor3I8AuL - Daniel Marcinkowski (@dmarcinkowski_) October 7, 2019

Article Link: Apple References Unreleased Sleep App for Apple Watch

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2009
Wonder if they’ll wait till watchos7 or if this will just be an app release. The battery charging reminders implies it won’t be exclusive to the microled watch to me.

agsystems

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2013
Can anyone recommend an app similar to this in the mean time?

Something with a silent alarm on the watch that won’t wake up my wife!
I am using autosleep - no settings and minimal battery usage
An OEM version would probably work better but people are running out of battery now with the always on feature - this feature might have to wait until another watch next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: sactownbwoy

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Lots of the apple watch 5 customers aren't satisfied with the battery life. I doubt it will release on new watchOS.
But time will tell if that's mainly due to the hot garbage release that is WatchOS6 or not. 6.1 is allegedly fixing the battery drain issues for many S4/S5 users.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I’ve been using 3rd party sleep tracking apps for a couple years no with no battery life issues. Is there something Apple could do would sleep tracking that third parties cannot? Do they have access to certain APIs or hardware features that third parties don’t?

Murkrage

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2017
I’ve been using 3rd party sleep tracking apps for a couple years no with no battery life issues. Is there something Apple could do would sleep tracking that third parties cannot? Do they have access to certain APIs or hardware features that third parties don’t?
This is Apple we're talking about, so yeah probably.

That said, I'd prefer a first-party solution simply because I hope it'll integrate with the alarms / bedtime feature that works really well for me. I haven't really tried 3rd party options to be honest, none have had the right appeal to me. Someone mentioned Autosleep... that didn't show up for me on the app store, but using Google I can find it. I'll definitely give that a shot.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
This is Apple we're talking about, so yeah probably.

That said, I'd prefer a first-party solution simply because I hope it'll integrate with the alarms / bedtime feature that works really well for me. I haven't really tried 3rd party options to be honest, none have had the right appeal to me. Someone mentioned Autosleep... that didn't show up for me on the app store, but using Google I can find it. I'll definitely give that a shot.
I have a couple that I use...SleepMatic and SleepWatch. The only thing I don’t like about SleepWatch is the notifications. Every day it bombards me with how did you feel when you woke up and your sleep quality was higher/lower than usual why was that. I guess they’re just trying to get as much data as possible to be accurate but sometimes it’s like I have no idea why I slept better last night than the night before, leave me alone. Haha.

Murkrage

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2017
I have a couple that I use...SleepMatic and SleepWatch. The only thing I don’t like about SleepWatch is the notifications. Every day it bombards me with how did you feel when you woke up and your sleep quality was higher/lower than usual why was that. I guess they’re just trying to get as much data as possible to be accurate but sometimes it’s like I have no idea why I slept better last night than the night before, leave me alone. Haha.
Thanks for the additional recommendations! I'll definitely try them out as I'm really looking for one.

guitarpanda

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2019
Lots of the apple watch 5 customers aren't satisfied with the battery life. I doubt it will release on new watchOS.
I was one of them. However, after I installed 6.0.1 things have been getting better and better. Currently sitting at 77% after 8 hours of low to medium usage. I don't know about the series 4, but I doubt it got much better.

alphaswift

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2014
Big difference between what that screenshot is saying and an actual sleep tracking app. I'd be highly interested in a sleep tracking app from Apple.

In the meantime I'm using the Sleepwatch app, which isn't bad, but costs too much for the extra reports. You'd think that the data they collect from me would be enough to offset a subscription cost. That said, it's probably the best sleep tracker out there with a free-to-use option.

incoherent_1

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2016
Is this still the case? I saw some people say the issues were fixed with the latest point release but wasn’t sure if that was conclusive?

Jerz

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Boston, MA
I can't ever wear something like the apple watch to sleep, it's pretty uncomfortable. Is it just me?

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
this is a pretty big feature that they wouldnt announce quietly...dont know how they are gonna do this