Apple Refreshes 21.5-Inch and 27-Inch iMacs With Brighter Displays, Kaby Lake Processors, and Faster Storage

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has announced a few new iMac models at WWDC today, which the company said include the best Mac displays ever with 500 nits of brightness and support for 1 billion colors, resulting in displays that are 43% brighter than previous models.

[​IMG]

The new iMacs have up to three times more powerful graphics abilities in comparison to previous generations, faster processors, Thunderbolt 3, and faster storage options. Apple said that the updates, along with refreshes of the MacBook, represent a lineup of Mac devices that are "stronger than ever."
    With the refresh, a Retina 4K display is also coming to the 21.5-inch iMac. Both the 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMacs feature faster Kaby Lake processors up to 4.2 GHz, with Turbo Boost speeds up to 4.5 GHz. The computers support twice the memory as the previous generation, and Fusion Drive will now be standard on all 27-inch iMac configurations, as well as on the top-end 21.5-inch iMac.

SSD storage will become 50 percent faster on the refreshed iMacs, and graphics on the computers are more powerful thanks to new Radeon Pro 500-series cards with up to 8GB of vRAM. In terms of faster performance, the 21.5-inch model delivers up to three times faster speeds in comparison to the previous iMacs, while the 27-inch model is up to 50 percent faster.

The models start at $1,099 for the 21.5-inch iMac, $1,299 for the 4K 21.5-inch iMac, and $1,799 for the 5K 27-inch iMac. Users can find more information on tech specs and pricing for each tier of the 21.5-inch model and 27-inch model on Apple's website, and both are available to purchase today.

Article Link: Apple Refreshes 21.5-Inch and 27-Inch iMacs With Brighter Displays, Kaby Lake Processors, and Faster Storage

2. hajime macrumors 601

I would rather wait for iMac Pro. Will other colors be available?

3. lexvo macrumors 65816

4. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Bring on the complaints about iMac Pro prices from people that have no real reason to need the power it offers.

"This Porsche 959 is far too expensive!"

5. Appleaker macrumors 68020

This was earlier than expected and the fact they've kept USB-A ports (for now) once again shows that they're listening to customers. And interest in eGPU/VR. I'm so glad theres a dGPU on the 4K iMac. I'm so excited for both the new iMacs and the iMac Pro.

6. Wayfarer, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Are you kidding me? This refresh wasn't supposed to happen until October. I'm trying to sell off my 2015 5k model this week, now the value just dropped. Thanks!

7. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Love the focus on the iMac, but was hoping for a redesigned enclosure. Oh well, looks great.

8. actinide macrumors regular

actinide

9. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Oh it is already in full-force in the WWDC thread. Everything we asked for, and yet we still bitch. :rolleyes:

10. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Grrrr, was fully expecting and hoping these models to support dual external 5K monitors.

11. The Weatherman macrumors member

iMac update? My prayers have been (finally) heard.

12. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

o_O

The MacBook Pro can drive two 5K monitors so the iMac certainly well since it has better GPUs.

13. hajime macrumors 601

Can they have these new features in MacBook Pro?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2017 ---
    Does that mean Mac Pro is dead?

14. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It means the Mac Pro arrives in 2018 per their comments.

15. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

External. The new iMacs can only support one additional 5K display. So the MacBook Pro actually supports more screens and more pixels... :(

16. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Did they say that during the keynote? I don't recall them saying that.

17. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

so then they both support 2 5K displays... sounds about right... If you need 3 5K displays you must be doing some real next-level stuff...

18. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Yes. They made it very clear in the comparison between one Thunderbolt 3 RAID and 5K display on the iMac, and two RAIDs and displays on the iMac Pro. This is also reflected in the press release - the Pro's mentions dual 5K support, the standard iMac's does not.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2017 ---
    You're forgetting the MacBook Pro's built-in display, hence the MacBook Pro supports more displays and more pixels than the iMac. Bizarre.

19. anaudiopro macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

20. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

But if you did not have a RAID on the iMac, could you not run a 5K display off each of the two TB3 ports?

And if you can, well here is the drawback of not offering more USB-3+TB3 ports in order to keep the USB-A ports.

It will be on the 27".

21. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

not really forgetting the display - just ignoring it. I know if I had 2 5K displays sitting next to that MBP it's probably going to be closed. It is a laptop after all...

22. djjaes macrumors member

djjaes

23. campyguy macrumors 68040

Fixed that for me!
    No complaints on the new iMacoT (on Testosterone). I did fix that car comment for me tho' - at 6'7" I've got to stick to my Benz…

24. djjaes macrumors member

djjaes

I still enjoy and use my Mac Pro, but the new iMac Pro is def a move in the right direction.

25. allanfries macrumors 6502a

allanfries

Let the whining about something or another begin!