Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Refreshes Online Store With New Apple Watch Bands and iPad Cases

Royksöpp

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2013
Hideous colors this season. I am very disappointed. I will not be purchasing any bands this fall.

Comment

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
“ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR SOME RECYCLED YARN?

-Steve Ballmer

Or would it be “ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR AN OLD SWEATER?”

I could see those solo loops being $49 and $69, but $99 for the yarn version is crazy

Not only that, but betting it will stretch when wet. That's an issue I have with my sports loop when sea kayaking. Have to switch to the sports band.

Comment

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
It's frightening to think how high the margin is on the solo loop. Its gotta be over 90 percent.

Comment

bookcase

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
I buy knockoffs on Amazon because I think $50 is too high for a watch band. But I was considering going for the braided loop until I saw the price tag: $100? You've got to be kidding me.

Comment

jarman92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2014
Those solo loops are atrocious.

Indeed. But I think they're geared towards kids lol. I have very skinny wrists and I'm a size 7 or 8 out of 9, so they definitely aren't gonna fit a lot of guys. But they obviously get pretty small.

Reactions: phobos512
Comment

phobos512

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
Alexandria, VA, USA
Indeed. But I think they're geared towards kids lol. I have very skinny wrists and I'm a size 7 or 8 out of 9, so they definitely aren't gonna fit a lot of guys. But they obviously get pretty small.

I just tried it and I came out a 12. I am definitely not a little guy though, so I think most folks will be able to find a fit. Tim did say they're really stretchy.
[automerge]1600203314[/automerge]
Not sure I’d trust that leather link without any kind of link/loop or clasp. Begging to come undone.

I'm sure there's more than a single magnet in there. Every bump is probably a piece of steel and a matching magnet, or perhaps even opposite poled magnets for extra strength.

• Haha
Reactions: Braderunner
Comment

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2017
$49 for a strip of silicone.
I just don’t see the value in Apple’s products anymore. I used to. I used to feel like when I bought something from Apple it was this excellent, quality product. Now I just sort of feel a bit short changed.

Comment

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009
Leather loops are pretty nasty, but they look better than 99.9% of the leather bands available aftermarket because they still integrate into the pieces that insert into the watch. I've always hated the cheap look of a leather band hanging onto the lugs.

What's the deal with the loop? Is it elastic? How do you get this on?

Edit: so the regular loop isn't elastic? I don't understand how you take this off if you can't reach the release tabs on the underside of the watch? It's a shame, I would have really liked an elastic model.

Comment

citysnaps

macrumors 604
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Everyone whining about the price: you don't *need* an Apple Watch. You don't *need* a smartwatch. You don't *need* a watch, at all. These are luxury items. And you're on an Apple forum.

But having a good whine, as juvenile as it is, seems to help people feel better about themselves afterwards. It's about having a tiny bit of control. For a very short period of time.

Reactions: MrMacintoshIII
Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I love how Apple is preconditioning us all. When you go to print out the band sizing tool, to make sure you have printed it at the correct size, there is a handy box where you place your credit card to make sure it is scaled right. I feel like Apple should go ahead and say, "Since you already have your credit card out..."
Who takes out a credit card for an online purchase? This isn’t the 90’s any more.

Comment

jarman92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2014
I just tried it and I came out a 12. I am definitely not a little guy though, so I think most folks will be able to find a fit. Tim did say they're really stretchy.
[automerge]1600203314[/automerge]

I'm sure there's more than a single magnet in there. Every bump is probably a piece of steel and a matching magnet, or perhaps even opposite poled magnets for extra strength.

Ah didn't realize that the 44 mm bands went 4-12...the 40 mm are 1-9

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don’t really need more bands, but if I did, the braided one looks interesting (though I’m skeptical of any single size band, as I don‘t always like to wear mine at exactly the same place). I’ve always found the sport loop very uncomfortable, so the solo loop isn’t likely to be any better.

Comment

Hezzaa

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
The Apple Watch Hermes still sports a Series 6 Space Black Stainless Steel case. This is the only way to buy a Space Black SS Series 6? Really sucks when you own the space black link bracelet and looking to upgrade to S6 from S3.

Comment

Fadakar

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
I'm a guy and I measured at a 5. Before you say I'm little I'm 5 foot 10 inches tall. No need to make it about age or gender, humans come in all shapes and sizes.

Comment

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2019
Decided on Blue Aluminum this year with the $100 braided Atlantic band. Had to have it. Price is no factor. Measured in around size 9. You can rest assured this material has never existed before and it will have its own beautiful quirks. I look forward to more colors of this style and suspect it will end up being my favorite. Is it swimproof/waterproof? Being it’s just yarn I want to say... yes.

The only other band I had to have was the Black Blue/Bright Mango Nike Band. Mmm that’s a nice and unique color combo. Both previously unseen colors.

Comment

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2019
I just don’t see the value in Apple’s products anymore. I used to. I used to feel like when I bought something from Apple it was this excellent, quality product. Now I just sort of feel a bit short changed.

it’s possible you aren’t one to notice finer details and that’s okay. But Apple bands are priced the way they are for a reason. It’s because they’re the best of the best the planet has to offer right now. I won’t even waste my precious time listing out every difference.

• Haha
Reactions: Hezzaa
Comment

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2017
it’s possible you aren’t one to notice finer details and that’s okay. But Apple bands are priced the way they are for a reason. It’s because they’re the best of the best the planet has to offer right now. I won’t even waste my precious time listing out every difference.
Oh Jesus... I had to check your post history to be absolutely sure you weren’t being sarcastic. It’s possible you just lap up marketing like a thirsty dog and that’s okay.

You know, I’ve got these magic beans...

Reactions: WBRacing and Hezzaa
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.