Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its online store for refurbished products in the United States to add a selection of Apple Watch Series 3 models, marking the first time Apple's newest wrist-worn device has been available from the refurbished store since its September 2017 release.

As of the writing of this article, there are two refurbished Apple Watch Series 3 GPS-only models available at a $50 discount, which equates to 13 to 15 percent off of the regular price. No LTE models or models with stainless steel or ceramic cases are available at this time.

refurbishedapplewatchseries3-800x469.jpg

A 38mm Gold Aluminum Apple Watch Series 3 with Pink Sand Sport Band is available for $279, down from $329, and Apple also has a 42mm Space Gray Aluminum model with Black Sport Band available for $309, down from $359.

The Apple Watch Series 3, first introduced last September alongside new iPhones, is the first Apple Watch model to offer an option for LTE connectivity. Compared to earlier Apple Watch versions, the Series 3 also comes equipped with a faster dual-core S3 processor and an Apple-designed W2 chip for 85 percent faster Wi-Fi

Apple Watch Series 3 refurbished stock is limited at this time, but Apple refreshes available units on a regular basis, so it's worth keeping an eye on the refurbished store if you're looking for a discount on a particular model.

All of Apple's refurbished products go through a rigorous refurbishment process before being offered for sale, which includes inspection, repairs, cleaning, and repackaging. Refurbished Apple Watch models come with a one-year warranty that can be extended with an AppleCare+ purchase.

For tips on purchasing a refurbished product, make sure to check out our guide.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Refurbished Apple Watch Series 3 Models

Last edited:

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Should I get one to see what the big deal is about? I just find them totally uninteresting, not useful (my phone is always with me), and just one more thing to re-charge

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I use it mostly for health/Fitness and sleep tracking easily worth it so far. Haven’t exercised 3 days in a row in years! And AutoSleep+HeartWatch combo is amazing.

My problem right there. The only 2 things that attract me about it are: Fitness, and sleep tracking.. Problem is, I can't workout wearing a watch, and could never fall asleep wearing a watch :(

Reactions: Marekul

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Should I get one to see what the big deal is about? I just find them totally uninteresting, not useful (my phone is always with me), and just one more thing to re-charge
That's what I used to think as well and why I waited until the Series 3 to get one. Now I LOVE IT!
I especially like when I am driving and am using directions, how the watch taps my wrist slightly and shows which way the next turn coming up is. SO HELPFUL and actually kinda fun too!
EDIT:
Oh, and also, I have a Lexus and the new watch app lets me start my car from my watch! How cool is that!

Reactions: AirunJae and DaveN

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012

I found the watch useful for many functions, but not telling time, until I forgot to put it on one day and realized how much easier it is to look at your wrist than pulling the phone out of your purse/pocket, especially when your hands are full.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
EDIT:
Oh, and also, I have a Lexus and the new watch app lets me start my car from my watch! How cool is that!

That's cool indeed, but then the question is, do you need to open the app on the watch, if that's the case it might be easier to just press the start button in your Lexus, much easier, that is, if there is even a start button in a Lexus. I genuinely don't know if there is)

Wow.. 2nd-hand watches

Have to agree, been saying this before as well, I hate the term refurbished, Apple's refurbished should be good, but nowadays refurbished pops up everywhere, it's secondhand, nothing more, nothing less.

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN

Has a number of small features that add up, at least for me. I like the health/fitness angle, being able to see texts/phone calls at a glance on my wrist & being able to respond to them, notifications, Map directions vibrating when to turn, controlling music on iPhone... and I'm sure there's more, but that's just off the top of my head. Was a bit skeptical of the Watch when it first came out, but it was such a better experience for me than using a fitness band (Jawbone) or using other devices (Microsoft Band).

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I use it mostly for health/Fitness and sleep tracking easily worth it so far. Haven’t exercised 3 days in a row in years! And AutoSleep+HeartWatch combo is amazing.

I could have written that exactly (except that, ahem, I haven't not exercised three days in a row in years, which is more of a problem than you'd think...). I also endorse the AS/HW combo.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Have to agree, been saying this before as well, I hate the term refurbished, Apple's refurbished should be good, but nowadays refurbished pops up everywhere, it's secondhand, nothing more, nothing less.

I would agree with you if Apple were just placing product returns as-is straight onto the refurbished rack. However, if they do replace the battery and the outer case, that is something beyond second hand. It's not new either, so I think refurbished would be that intermediate step between straight up second hand and new.

Reactions: TimSHB

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
That's cool indeed, but then the question is, do you need to open the app on the watch, if that's the case it might be easier to just press the start button in your Lexus, much easier, that is, if there is even a start button in a Lexus. I genuinely don't know if there is)
Oh Sorry, I should have explained that better. I don't mean I sit in my car and instead of hitting the car's start button, I have to open an app on the watch...I mean I can start the car "remotely". I can be inside a store for instance, and start my car from inside the store, or theater or whatever. It's called Remote Start.

Reactions: AirunJae

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I would agree with you if Apple were just placing product returns as-is straight onto the refurbished rack. However, if they do replace the battery and the outer case, that is something beyond second hand. It's not new either, so I think refurbished would be that intermediate step between straight up second hand and new.

As I said, Apple refurbished is (very) good, but it still is secondhand.

Oh Sorry, I should have explained that better. I don't mean I sit in my car and instead of hitting the car's start button, I have to open an app on the watch...I mean I can start the car "remotely". I can be inside a store for instance, and start my car from inside the store, or theater or whatever. It's called Remote Start.

I got that, think it's cool but I don't think it's that convenient.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Wow.. 2nd-hand watches
You obviously haven’t bought Apple refurbs in your life. I do not buy refurbished products other than from Apple. They are as good (or better) than brand new units without the fancy packaging and I never had problems with them. You can’t beat the money savings too.

Last edited:

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
As I said, Apple refurbished is (very) good, but it still is secondhand.

I got that, think it's cool but I don't think it's that convenient.

It doesn't even refer to same thing, so wth do you mean.

Second hand means used before, nothing else. It could have been fixed up a bit, but most times it has not.

Refurbished means they've actually did something with it before reselling it.
In the case of Apple they've actually done a lot. It's a lot closer to new than to used; considering a lot of those a returns from users after little use at all, that's even more true.
Are you being obtuse on purpose?

You do know words have meanings and some words have are more precise in what they describe than others.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It is to me since I live where it gets insanely hot and my car can cool down before I get in it.

Didn't think about that, could be useful for freezing temperatures too.

It doesn't even refer to same thing, so wth do you mean.

Second hand means used before, nothing else. It could have been fixed up a bit, but most times it has not.

Refurbished means they've actually did something with it before reselling it.
In the case of Apple they've actually done a lot. It's a lot closer to new than to used; considering a lot of those a returns from users after little use at all, that's even more true.
Are you being obtuse on purpose?

You do know words have meanings and some words have are more precise in what they describe than others.

No, it's been used therefor secondhand, is that so hard for you (and others) to grasp, example, a lady in the Netherlands got a refurbished iPhone after hers couldn't be fixed, it was in the warranty period, she sued Apple and won, cause you know what, it's secondhand.
The manufacturer/seller has to supply a new item by law in *The Netherlands if it can't be fixed within the item warranty period.

* And other EU countries.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

For 14 days, why not try it? Find what you like about it, what you dislike about it and then make a decision within that timeframe. And as far as having to recharge it, the Series 3 can easily achieve above 18 hours depending your usage and settings. Is the Apple Watch a necessity? No. But it’s a nice convenience with the notifications and it is an excellent fitness tracker.

Reactions: AirunJae
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.