Apple refuse to replace my New iPhone 2g!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone3gs, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Iphone3gs, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

I live in the uk.

Apple (uk) refuse to replace my New iPhone 2g (uk version).

My IPhone 2g which I recently (within 6 months) paid Apple uk store £139 to replace my out of warranty IPhone 2g (US version).

The iPhone 2g (us version) I bought off someone with recipt offline in nov 2007. I got this version unlocked/jailbroken so that it can be used without contract.

When my IPhone 2g (us version) stoped working I tool it to the apple store they said after checking they can replace it but will charge £139.

I got it replaced with a BRAND NEW IPhone 2g (uk) version which was working. I did not unlock or jailbreak this phone.

Recently I tried a new tesco sim and now the iPhone does not work.

Took the iPhone 2g (uk) to Apple and they are saying they cannot fix it and cannot replace as on our system it shows you had a us version and it was out mistake in the first place to give that uk version.

I'm left with an iPhone 2g : screen states:

NO SIM CARD INSTALLED
    INSERT A VALID SIM WITH NO PIN LOCK TO ACTIVATE IPHONE.

It has the USB and iTunes pic.

After putting aim inside: any aim it dosent work it states sim is incompatiable.

apple refuse to replace or say they can't fix ad on their system comes up as US VERSION only coz the original iPhone gave to them was US. The actual iPhone is UK.

Any advice from here: need phone fixed but I'm annoyed apple don't give me a replacement or fix it I did pay another £139 on top of the price I bought the iPhone 2g for.

2. Polymira macrumors regular

You could always try to jailbreak and unlock the phone, and see if this makes it work.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Who replaced it?

Do you have the receipt for the £139 one?

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Well, what's done is done - they need to replace this phone.

Try cleaning the contacts on the SIM to see if that fixes it. Try restoring the OS.

If not, take it back to Apple with your receipt and talk to a Manager - the mistake is theirs, not yours.

5. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

How is it Apple's fault? By replacing a US phone for a UK phone? Did THEY insert the invalid sim into the phone?????

6. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

If they're not going to do anything, jailbreak/unlock it. It'll only run 3.1.3 anyway right? And there's no problems/issues with that at all?
    Or, put the sim (the tesco one, or whatever you plan on using) in, plug it into itunes, do a restore, see if that fixes it. I think there's a lot you can do at home to try to make it work without having to get anyone else involved

7. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

After replacing the IPhone 2g I took it home and put in tesco sim...it worked fine.

After a few weeks the tesco sim stoped working
    I got a replacement then after the iPhone would
    Not work stated sim incompatible.

Do you think it's possible to get my money back?

They have stated no, but I'm hoping to try again.

They have stated my original iPhone 2g (us) version has been recycled.

As they are not willing to fix it or help me I want my
    Money back from them.

Or even better replacement.

After them giving me a new iPhone 2g (uk) I did drop
    It and it wasn't functioning they replaceded with a brand new one after 2 days of me having a new iPhone 2g (uk) version.

Them checking on the system seen that they had replaced 2 iPhone 2g already are saying they cannot replace it as
    Already been replaced before.

8. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

As the mistake was theirs do you think I am entitled to my money back.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The £139 you paid was for out of warranty service on your original iPhone (which is basically a replacement phone).
    Out of warranty service comes with a 90 day warranty on the replacement phone, so unless you got this less than 90 days ago, you're out of warranty and any service would require the payment of a further out of warranty fee

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wait, I'm getting confused-

You had a iPhone (US version) and less than 6 months ago you paid Apple to do an out-of-warranty replacement for £139 and got a UK version iPhone?

You got a replacement under this policy?

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_Kingdom&product=iphone

Are you sure it is the phone itself that is faulty, not the SIM or software?

The best bit of advice is to try and talk to someone a bit more senior, they have more discretion. Just be very nice and make reasonable requests (a full refund on an old iPhone would not be reasonable for example).

If Apple won't cooperate you could use your statutory rights. However, the biggest issue is that original US iPhone and whether the replacement constituted a new sale in the UK or not. This is why if you buy from abroad you should buy extended warranties- you can't force the company to do anything in the UK if you purchased it abroad. I'd try to argue Apple sold you the replacement- they charged you a set price (£139) for an item that is available to a range of people. It wasn't a service or a repair- you bought a product off them. That is what I would argue, but I don't know if it is right.

I'd send a letter to Apple customer services setting that argument out, and referring them to the Sale of Goods Act 1979 section 14(2) and in particular section 48A(3). Basically, products must be of satisfactory quality and last a reasonable length of time, 48A(3) says that in the first 6 months the presumption is the product is faulty and it is on the seller to prove otherwise. (2mins on Google will get you a PDF of the act)

If they still don't play ball you could take them to small claims court- it isn't nearly as scary as it sounds. I've bought one extended warranty in my life. As long as you play nice and are reasonable most companies will help once you start mentioning the law and courts in a polite way. I've never had to get as far as court- one of two things happens- (a) they do what you want to get rid of you (b) you finally get high enough in the chain to talk to somebody that realises you are right. (I got my broadband provider to exclude me from their latest price increase when I phoned yesterday, took a 15 minute free phone call. :D).

However, it all comes down to wether the replacement was a sale or not. Personally, I would consider a new iPhone, the 2G is pretty old!

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Sounds like a bad sim or an incompatible sim. Why not contact Tesco and get one that WILL work in the phone and see if that fixes the problem first. It doesn't sound like the phone is bad, since it was working fine, but the sim. I mean the new sim has never worked; but the phone was working fine before installing it.

Even if the new sim is bad, and it damaged the phone, that's not Apple's fault, that's Tesco or your fault (inserted wrong or even zapped it with static).

I see no reason why they should replace it for you.

12. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I think the phone is locked. Just jailbreak & unlock it with redsn0w and it will work fine.

13. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you everyone's input people.

Very helpful.

First I will try going into the apple store with the letter with the goods act etc.

If i don't get the result needed then will take the steps
    To jailbreak.

I'm hoping to go to apple store Tomorow evening.

I do have an iPhone 4.

The iPhone 2g I gave to my sister and she's having these problems...I'm trying to sort out this mess on her behalf.

Instead of having to fork out £500 for an iPhone 4 £139 for a brand new replacement iPhone 2g seemed more worth it at the time couldn't beat to fork out another £500.

14. err404, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

The original sale was over three years ago. How long are they obligated to support the device? I'm not sure about how it works in the UK, but warranty's in the US are from the date of the original sale. Getting a replacement phone does not reset your original coverage (though the replacement/repairs are usually covered for some minimal period).
    That said, despite have been given a new phone as part of "repair service", they may no longer have a warranty obligation.

*I mention the US because that was the sales point of origin and the beginning of the warranty terms.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple already replaced it one other time, due to OP's user damage.

Perhaps OP damaged the current phone again? That's not Apple's fault because you already got two breaks.

16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

So, you are asking apple to replace something that you broke.

Is that how it is in UK? Can I drive my BMW car right into the building and break it? And then go to BMW dealer to replace it because it's under warranty?

Jesus.

17. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

It hasn't been damaged again.

It's a software issue this time.

I understand with regards to the BMW but you ain't getting my point.

The phone is not working of not of my fault.

Sim compatibility issue. It was working a few weeks ago now it's not. Apple stated phone needs to be unlocked.

As the iPhone is locked on O2.

But tesco runs on O2 server/network (watever you call it).

18. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

If it's a software problem it is 100% solvable, by you, at home. Restore it.

I'd also try getting a new sim before going through all of this effort to get a more than likely perfectly fine phone replaced.

It's been shown time and time again that these phones are damn near impossible to kill software wise.

19. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Even if apple replaced it the one they replace it with will also be locked to O2.

JB/UL it. You'll have a fully functioning phone in less time than it would take you to drive to the apple store...

Edit: sorry for the double post.

20. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Exactly! Refer to post # 12. :)

21. saberahul macrumors 68040

3/30/11 here in the US :) So no...

22. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

There is Apple's own warranty and there is the sale of goods act. Completely separate. I'm suggesting the OP may be able to treat the new phone as a new sale (as it was at a fixed price) so the sale of goods act kicks in.

No. Utterly wrong.

OP- like I said, check it really is the phone that is broken, not something else. However, don't confuse O2 and Tesco's network- they are separate despite using the same network (you really should have mentioned that originally!). iPhones from the Apple store usually come unlocked though, so double check it is locked to O2, then just jailbreak. If you become sure the phone itself is faulty then you can try the sale of goods act argument, but there are a lot of ifs and buts. Buying abroad has down sides- and here they are!

23. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

It was originally A US version iPhone.

But now they have given me an iPhone which is a UK VERSION surely they can't use the excuse it WAS a US version so we can't repair etc.

What's the solution of making the IPhone work without JAILBREAKING The phone.

Also is it possible to buy apple care for the iPhone?

iPhone us version was oringally purchased in nov 2007.

iPhone 2g (uk) was given by apple on nov 2010 replacement.

Apple care can normally be purchased within 12 months of buying the phone.

But ad I was given a replacement one , is it still possible to buy apple care?

24. gpc17 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

You cant buy it.. Jailbreak and unlock it and you are fine..