Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quangtringuyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Had a talk with Apple support, they refused my issue on my MBP which is the keyboard keys imprinted on my screen.
They told me that this is my fault when putting my MBP into the backpack when travelling.
Did anyone see has this issue on your MBP 2016 or later?

Attachments

• IMG_9764 2.JPG
    IMG_9764 2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 566

quangtringuyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
This is what they said...

Apple Suppot: Usually it occurs from the screen being pressed against the keys. Do you put the Mac in a backpack or travel with it?

Me:I think everybody put their laptop in the backpack

Me:not only me

Apple Suppot: I totally understand, but for the keys to be imprinted on the screen a large amount of force would need to be put on the Mac when its closed. Like sitting against the Macbook, or something heavy being put on it

pst23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2015
You need to go into an apple store or talk to someone over the phone and tell them you have marks on your screen where the coating is coming off and you think its the staingate issue. How would they even know you transport your laptop - did you tell them this?

quangtringuyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
I went to the Genius Bar and talked to them. They always say this is my fault when I put something heavy into the MBP when its closed. They told me I have to pay by myself if I want to replace the screen. Of course, I won't pay.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
1. Are you using a keyboard protector?
2. Are you storing the MacBook in a way where the body is getting pressed rather hard from either the lid side or the bottom?

quangtringuyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
It is easy to do. If you put a Macbook in a backpack with books and lay the backpack down they books may be pressing on the laptop. Or put a Macbook in a briefcase and put a lot of papers in the briefcase.
It is not the case to the keys can be imprinted into the screen I think

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
If it is anything like my Razer Blade it doesn't take much.
Just resting it against your legs on the Razer Blade distorts the screen.

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
I don't even put my computer into a bag, it lives on a flat surface with nothing on top of it and I have this problem too, so...

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
this only for models from 2011 to 2015
I might be blind... but it says 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pros. Seriously though, take it to the Apple store and explain (nicely) that you would like this fixed under the staingate repair program. This is definitely part of that, and the coating is not supposed to come off like that.

upload_2018-7-17_15-3-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-17_15-3-59.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-17_15-3-59.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 82

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I might be blind... but it says 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pros. Seriously though, take it to the Apple store and explain (nicely) that you would like this fixed under the staingate repair program. This is definitely part of that, and the coating is not supposed to come off like that.

View attachment 771137

Has anyone ever been able to find a source for this information? It comes from MacRumors, and everyone just quotes MacRumors as the source - not Apple. I think MR should just note this in that post as it gets linked to a lot, MR seem to be the only people to have seen said document, and I'm skeptical about things that have a single source, especially when I cannot find anything on an official website.

Having said that, I don't believe the 2016+ models suffer from delimitation like the Retina models did. I haven't seen or heard of anyone experiencing the issue. I've seen plenty of "Keys imprinted onto display", which is often cleaned off with ease. The clearance is tight, so a build-up of dust/grease will leave a mark on the display, and if you never clean your computer this will give that appearance - and be slightly harder to clean off.

Either way take it to the Apple store and see, but understand the cause before you go demanding things as it won't end how you want it to end. Ask them politely if they could try cleaning it off, if they are unable to - then at least you have some proof that the display is damaged, and can go from there.

Reactions: jerryk

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The OP's troubles provide an example of why in previous postings I have advised MacBook Pro owners to be very careful about putting MBP's into backpacks.

Almost any undue "pressure" upon the lid when closed can cause contact between the keyboard and the surface of the display -- the results can be seen in the original post of this thread.

Yet folks will casually "stuff" the MBP into the backpack, with all sorts of things pressing against it, oblivious to this problem.

Someone above asked (paraphrased) "who doesn't use a backpack?"

Well, I don't.
Don't own one.
Never have owned one.

When I travel with my MacBook Pro, I use a VERY "oversized" case with protective padding all around.
The display on my 2010 MacBook looks "as new", after all these years...

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
It is your fault in a way. The keys do not touch the screen when the lid is closed Unless there is some, even very light, pressure put on the lid, bottom or both. The only solution is to keep it in a hard crush proof case where no pressure can be put on it.

That being said storing it as I stated above is not practical and shouldn't be a requirement. Contact Apple via chat and keep trying until you get this fixed. If you do get it replaced-change your habits to prevent this from happening again.

chris_b

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2017
Try again under the delamination recall (staingate). When you get it repaired, invest in a radtech screensavrz. It is a very thin piece of cloth that will go over your keyboard to protect your display from the keys.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Try again under the delamination recall (staingate). When you get it repaired, invest in a radtech screensavrz. It is a very thin piece of cloth that will go over your keyboard to protect your display from the keys.

What happens when the cloth has something on it and rubs the screen?

chris_b

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2017
What happens when the cloth has something on it and rubs the screen?
Keep it clean. I've been using them since my first MacBook Air in 2011 had screen marks on it from the keyboard. Originally I tried plastic/rubber keyboard covers but they were more of a pain in the ass than the thin cloth.

I did slack and forget to use it for a while on a 2015 rMB which then had the lamination rub off from the keyboard like OP. Apple replaced the screen under the delamination recall and I went back to always using the cloth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.