Apple Refutes Claim Regarding Halted Production of 27-Inch iMac Models

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 2, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In a statement to The Wall Street Journal regarding ongoing shipment delays for the company's 27-inch iMac models, an Apple spokesman has apparently refuted earlier claims that the company had halted production of the 27-inch iMacs as it has worked to address several issues related to flickering and yellow tints in its displays.
    Apple just yesterday issued a second firmware update for current owners of the affected machines, designed to address the ongoing flickering issues that have troubled the machines since their introduction late last year.

On a related note, shipping lead times for the 27-inch models improved today to two weeks from the three-week estimates that had recently been seen for those looking to order through the company's U.S. online store.

Article Link: Apple Refutes Claim Regarding Halted Production of 27-Inch iMac Models

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Apple doesn't stop for nobody. Bullzdoze everyone!

3. Kar98 macrumors 6502a

Quick usage lesson:

refute |riˈfyoōt|

verb [ trans. ]
    prove (a statement or theory) to be wrong or false; disprove : these claims have not been convincingly refuted.
    • prove that (someone) is wrong.
    • deny or contradict (a statement or accusation) : a spokesman totally refuted the allegation of bias.

deny |diˈnī|

verb ( -nies, -nied) [ trans. ]
    refuse to admit the truth or existence of (something) : they deny any responsibility for the tragedy.
    • [with two objs. ] refuse to give (something requested or desired) to (someone) : the inquiry was denied access to intelligence sources.
    • refuse to accept or agree to : judges would retain the discretion to grant or deny the requests.
    • refuse to acknowledge or recognize; disown : Peter repeatedly denied Jesus.

What the Apple spokesman has done, according to the WSJ article, was "deny" the claim. He did in no way offer any actual proof to the contrary.

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Just received our 27" iMac i7 yesterday. Looks perfect and runs like a champ but DAMN is it so much bigger when you sit behind it compared to using while standing at an Apple Store.

5. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    He offered as much proof as the anonymous source who made the false allegation reported yesterday. Good enough for me.

6. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Well, I like seeing them acknowledge the yellow tint problem...

(The iMac I received yesterday has the yellow tint.)

7. lordreye macrumors newbie

Mine arrives tomorrow

I ordered a core i7 27" machine 2 weeks ago, when the lead times in the apple store showed 2 weeks... *right* before they went up to 3 weeks. Apple never changed my delivery date and FedEx delivers it tomorrow morning, so it makes sense to me that they didn't stop production on it. Can't wait!

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

But in this day and age, we are groomed to believe that PR reps always speak the full and un-cut truth. His mere existence as a person, and denial of the issue, is proof towards the contrary on the report. :D

9. danielwsmithee macrumors 65816

How come there is no media coverage on Dell Latitude E6500 flickering external displays using the DisplayPort connector. Multiple posts in their forums on this issue and I have to deal with it ....

On the other hand my 27" i7 iMac is flawless.

Just goes to show how the perfection that people expect from Apple helps the consumer.

10. RST macrumors member

I received a 27" i7 yesterday without any problems display problems- albeit I had to wait a few weeks. I'm sure they're on top of the issues now.

11. Virtuon macrumors member

Virtuon

I have nothing to say with regards towards this post.

12. till macrumors member

Kar98's point was that people seem to have forgotten what "refute" means. It's getting to be absurdly overused in contexts where it absolutely does not belong.

I guess it makes people feel good to misuse fancy words they heard once instead of using the simple, correct ones ("deny" or "reject" would be fine).

13. moneyman118 macrumors 6502

On a related note, shipping lead times for the 27-inch models improved today to two weeks from the three-week estimates that had recently been seen for those looking to order through the company's U.S. online store.

Only becayse its been a week since they issued the 3 week delay!

14. sw19 macrumors newbie

If they fix the yellow discoloration on the 27", then I'll demand they fix it on my 24" Aluminum iMac. Which was a replacement for a 24" white intel iMac that had the same issue. The white iMac was 2 years old. When they replaced it with the latest version I just gave in and said "It is what it is".

15. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Same happened here with my parents, it came yesterday. Good screen reporting.

16. 50548 Guest

So in the end, just more FUD from the "pundits"...these firmware-fixable problems affect just a small portion of users, while the rest enjoys a new life with the best desktops on Earth...move along, citizens!

GO APPLE!

17. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I just took advantage of the 12 months deal to order a 27" i7 iMac and it's expected to ship on the 17th and arrive by the 22nd.

18. 50548 Guest

What deal is that?

19. RonWayne macrumors newbie

Look how curious!!!
    Yukari Iwatane Kane reporting....

She's more like an Apple P.R. than a WSJ reporter.

20. DUSTmurph macrumors regular

Watch out everybody!!! Grammar police are on patrol!

21. Wordman macrumors member

Spin

Months of silence during the 27" problems, and not a peep to the world. Then as soon as something comes out that might worry the shareholders, out comes the P.R. man.

Ironic, that a company manufacturing communication devices should be so poor at communicating. Pretty sloppy.

22. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Weren't 90% of all desktops sold all Macs?
    Which is most likely iMacs. And some people think that Apple are ********ting everyone by trying to cover things up

23. GreenHead macrumors newbie

that's 90% of $1000+ desktops, not all desktops

24. GreenHead macrumors newbie

25. Cboss macrumors 6502

Not 90% of all desktops, the report said that it was 90% of those costing more than $1,000. There are many, many more sub-$1,000 PCs sold than all Macs combined.