Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hey MR, you made Twitter breaking news. :D

rsq9.jpg

Apple is a systems integration and experience company; both fit perfectly with a car.

Making sure all components work together to provide the best experience; don't you wish a car maker actually provided that.

Cars are becoming computer electronic products (with their increasing automation and moving away from combustion engine).
[doublepost=1452269944][/doublepost]

Doesn't matter, this industry is very large and like I said, there isn't much very large industry Apple could enter.

When you make that much money as Apple, you need to go into something big.

Apple's revenues are now over $200B. Hard to meaningfully grow that without something big. Plus Apple's peers are going to be involved in the space in some way. I suppose Apple could provide the brains for somebody else's car or just stick to infotainment systems like CarPlay. But when his Apple ever been successful just being a piece of technology in somebody else's product? That Motorola ROKR sure didn't set the world on fire.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
What about test drives?

See this is where I dont know specific details since I cannot actually afford a Tesla!!!
I do know the Tesla mall showrooms have the couple cars that you can walk around and get a feel for. I assume they schedule test drives offsite somewhere? I say "assume" because my belief is that if this happens, the Apple car will not be a mass market vehicle.
Again, just guessing it will be similar to the Tesla approach.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
So, Apple won't venture into making their own TVs because of profit margins and customer upgrade cycle, but they're going to make a car....

o_O

I agree. I think we need to think more along the lines of how Apple TV is to the Television. It's an add on...maybe Apple is making some sort of enhanced windshield/projector type of thing that almost any car can get? Really shooting in the dark there but seems more along the lines of what Apple has done in the past.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Wonder how many Apple Car battery electrical plug adapters we will have to upgrade to every year..

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
why do we believe we need cars in the future. With all the hoverboards and car sharing apps, this makes no sense :)

Maybe it's a ruse and they are really working on a REAL hoverboard. That will be thin and float.

:p:D

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Case manufacturers... start your engine!
Cars could come in silver, gray, gold or pink. Case manufacturers will enable full-car-protection in various trendy colors. :p

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree. I think we need to think more along the lines of how Apple TV is to the Television. It's an add on...maybe Apple is making some sort of enhanced windshield/projector type of thing that almost any car can get? Really shooting in the dark there but seems more along the lines of what Apple has done in the past.
The difference is car manufacturers want to distinguish themselves. Do you think Toyota is going to want the same "enhanced windshield " or whatever that Honda, GM, Ford etc. have? Outside of the sound system how often do car manufacturers name drop 3rd party suppliers? Hardly ever. The difference with TVs is there is no Apple technology inside the TV. When you buy a TV from Samsung or whoever it doesn't come with tvOS. TV is completely separate. I don't think you can compare that to being the "brains" of an automobile.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I'm actually stunned that these domains were even available and someone hadn't already tried to register them. It would actually be hard for Apple to argue they're entitled to them, since they aren't in the auto industry.

DeutscheMark

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
Nuremberg, Germany
My predictions for the first gen:

1. It will have low speed and it stutters when you make a turn or accelerate too fast. carOS 1.3 will fix it, but be patient, when carOS 2.0 arrives. Better don't install carOS 3.0, because it will make your car unusable and even slower.
2. The car will come in 3 battery sizes. Be sure, you don't get the smallest option, because it won't be enough for most of you.
3. You only can use GPS when you have your iPhone with you.
4. The only port it will have is the one for charging, because that's all you gonna need, but it's on the bottom of the car, so you won't notice it and can enjoy the unique and distract free design.
4. It will have a battery big enough to make it through the day, but don't expect it to also make it through the night. So always charge it at night.
6. You can buy an extra battery case for it, that will expand your battery life by 80%. You won't notice the bulge on the top of the car.

But be sure, the 2nd gen. will be the best car ever.

jtrenda33

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Does anyone believe that Apple isn't actually making a car, but is instead developing CarOS? Although, when have they ever built an OS that is separate from its own hardware? So maybe they are building a car, but, if they are, I think that's pretty stupid. There is already so many great vehicles available. What sucks across the board is the infotainment system. I mean, just think of the implications for case manufacturers if Apple actually builds an automobile. Or will the whole car be made out of 7000 series aluminum and sapphire? Will they offer AppleAutoCare+? Will iPhone capabilities be integrated into the car itself and linked to their rumored cellular service? That's just a lot of Apple in my life. What's next? Apple House? Apple Air(plane)? Apple Train?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I guess I have no interest in the Apple Car...not like I'll be able to afford a possible $100K+ in the next couple of years. Lol.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Apple car powered by Apple maps and Siri... No thanks.

#icargate #youredrivingitwrong
So, you mean to tell me in 4 years or so (2020), you don't think Apple Maps would be good enough you? Lol. It was introduced in 2012. That gives Apple 8 years to improve the maps, and it'll probably be OTA updates to constantly improve them in your Apple Car. Apple Maps are good right now. I expect them be on par with Google Maps by 2020.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
Another subtle leak about future products after a big stock dip. Apple is really good at controlling the message.

wdowell

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
FR
They've timed this, as usual, perfectly for CES of course. Same with all the leaks around the iPhone 7.

(Ill probably never need a car, or be able to afford an Apple Car, so I am not excited. More worried it will take focus off what they already cant seem to keep up with with their existing products and services)

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

scottt732

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2016
I worry that if Apple and Google both make a car the highways will be covered in dead trolls... Imagine the traffic...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Btw, MG Siegler says it's the worst kept secret in Silicon Valley that Apple is working on a car. And we have this from the Financial Times last year:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/e6810bda-5de5-11e5-9846-de406ccb37f2.html
At this year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed, a very British celebration of motoring held each summer, Lord March hosted a private coffee morning.

The aristocratic petrolhead and owner of the Goodwood estate in West Sussex assembled 20-or-so guests, including auto industry luminaries such as Daimler chief executive Dieter Zetsche and top management from General Motors, BMW and Aston Martin.

The purpose of the three-hour meeting, held under Chatham House rules, was to discuss the future of the car industry, a sector being shaken by the prospect of new rivals and digital threats emerging from Silicon Valley.

And that is why Sir Jonathan Ive had a seat at the table.

The Apple design chief revealed little of the company’s plans in the auto industry, which are thought to possibly include a driverless electric car.

But the message was plain to see, according to one of the guests. “It was clear: the barbarians are at the gate.

Reactions: Michael Scrip
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.