Apple Registers Eleven New iPhone Models in Eurasian Database

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has registered eleven unreleased iPhone models in the Eurasian Economic Commission database this week, including models A2111, A2160, A2161, A2215, A2216, A2217, A2218, A2219, A2220, A2221, and A2223, according to the Indian blog MySmartPrice.

The filings are legally required for any encrypted devices sold in Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Russia.

[​IMG]

These models likely represent Apple's refreshed iPhone line-up expected to debut in September 2019. Rumors suggest the successors of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR will again be 5.8 and 6.5-inch OLED iPhones along with a 6.1-inch LCD iPhone, respectively.

Rumors suggest the 5.8 and 6.5-inch iPhone XS and XS Max successors will feature triple-lens cameras while the LCD iPhone will use a dual-lens camera setup.

Otherwise, the 2019 iPhone lineup is expected to look similar to the Apple's current smartphones, but Apple may be planning to use a new frosted glass design for the back of the 5.8 and 6.5-inch devices. The 6.1-inch iPhone, meanwhile, could come in new lavender and green shades.

We don't yet know what Apple will call the new iPhones, but iPhone XI or iPhone 11 are possibilities for the iPhone XS successors.

The EEC filings reveal all the new devices that have been added to the database run on iOS 12, although iOS 13 is likely to be available this fall as a free software update. Apple is expected to unveil all the new features coming with its updated mobile OS at WWDC in June.

Eurasian Economic Commission filings like these have foreshadowed the release of new Apple products on numerous occasions, including multiple iPad models, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, Apple Watch Series 2 and Series 4, AirPods, the 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, and several other devices.

Article Link: Apple Registers Eleven New iPhone Models in Eurasian Database

2. L-Viz macrumors 6502

L-Viz

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

4. matc macrumors member

If they call them "XI" there will still be people pronouncing it /ˈɛks/ /ˈaɪ/

5. otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

Hello fragmentation my old friend, I've come to talk with you again

6. Ruggy macrumors regular

11 truly new models seems a few too many.
    What if this is something to do with all the licensing squabbles that have been going on?
    You register all your phones as new models so they aren't included in any suits, or conversely are included in any agreements you've just reached.
    Hard to see why they'd want to increase inventory when their market share is declining.

7. Pelea macrumors 6502

I hope they’re bringing back 16gb iPhones. I think a 16gb iPhone 11 will help people be more caring of nature by conserving storage space.

16gb iPhone 11 - $999
    256gb iPhone 11 - $1299
    512gb iphone 11 - 1599
    1tb iPhone 11 - 1999

8. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Did you read the link that I posted? What it’s saying, is that likely the next smallest phone to be offered in the mid tier section would be a 4.7 inch, but nothing indicates anything smaller than that.

10. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

Or, in China, /shee/. Heh. If they sell any there.

11. Classie macrumors regular

Why is no one catering to the demand of a smaller phone (iPhone 5-ish)? There is such potential! I can’t understand it.

12. Frantisekj macrumors member

Frantisekj

I would wish We get bezeless SE sized phone but not sure there coudl be fitted battery big enough to give phone reasonable battery time.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There is potential, but the market is so small for such a small phone, that consumers have generally spoken they want larger displays with bigger batteries. To be honest, I’m surprised Apple offered the SE as long as they did, considering no one else was really offering a 4 inch smart phone at the time.

For Apple to offer a ‘4 inch iPhone’ again in the future, they have to be able to see the perspective that it will make them money, which I suspect the SE was not, being one of the reasons they discontinued it.

14. Classie macrumors regular

I think the potential lies in the full screen ratio that is now standard. I know several people how would be interested in smaller one-handed phone. It won’t be a top-seller but carve its own market.

15. Frantisekj macrumors member

Frantisekj

Will there be 4 models of XS successors and 3 of XR? So we get those 11 models?

16. Relentless Power, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But does Apple see ‘several people’ being enough for them to generate a 4 inch iPhone again? Likely not. I totally understand the passion for a phone that small, because like I said, there is a small demographic, but all that matters to Apple, will it make them money long term to manufacture another 4 inch iPhone as they once already did?

17. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

I’m sure there is a market for a small phone. The issue as I see it is that the market isn’t large enough to justify Apple selling one.

Smaller companies can sell several hundred thousand units and consider that a success. But given Apple’s size it doesn’t justify it.

18. Megakazbek macrumors regular

Because, unless you’re an ancient Roman, XI is pronounced as /ˈɛks/ /ˈaɪ/. Pronouncing it any other way is not correct (intentionally or not)

19. dz5b609 macrumors newbie

I never understand these comments, if there really is a large demand and great potential don't you think Apple would be making one. Apple not making one means that the demand isn't large enough for them to warrant the investment. They do their research (real research, not "I and others around me want a small phone so there's demand").

20. Superhai macrumors 6502

Superhai

An iPhone with the name of their great leader surely must be a required buy.

21. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

And at the same time you don't see that Apple also ships a Macbook Pro with USB-C only, a strange keyboard and no SD Card which no one asked for. Apple products have nothing to do with demand or customers requests, but only what Apple thinks is right. It always has been like that.
    So, no, I don't think Apple would make one even if there was demand if they don't like it...

22. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

I will wait for the 2020 iPhone with 5G Qualcomm modem and hopefully USB-C. I refuse to pay Apple another $1.5k for an iPhone XSS

23. ph001bi, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019

ph001bi macrumors regular

A SD Card slot is a waste of space. There are too many formats and it's not reliable. You need SD card, just get a dongle.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2019 ---
    Actually 11 models is interesting. The current models have the following numbers, so these are just like for like replacement minus 1. Apple has to register all their worldwide models in Eurasia. I would have thought that only the models sold in the Eurasian countries needed registering, anyway. The question is, "Which one of the three models will not have a Chinese or Japanese version?"

iPhone XS
    A1920, A2097, A2098 (Japan), A2100 (China mainland)

iPhone XS Max
    A1921, A2101, A2102 (Japan), A2104 (China mainland)

iPhone XR
    A1984, A2105, A2106 (Japan), A2108 (China mainland)

24. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

Rumour has it these are going to be the best iPhones Apple has made.

25. Hicksmat1976 macrumors regular

Hicksmat1976

people's faces when they see only a small incremental spec change in Sept/Oct 2019 - scenes!