Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past few hours, a number of MacRumors readers have reported seeing dozens or even hundreds of pending app updates showing in the App Store on their iOS devices, including for many apps that were already recently updated by the users. In many cases, the dates listed on these new app updates extend back as far as ten days.

app_store_old_updates.jpg

Apple has not shared any information as to why updates for these already up-to-date apps are being reissued, but some users suspect it may be related to the recent "This app is no longer shared with you" issue that was preventing some users from launching certain apps unless they are offloaded or deleted and then reinstalled.

It's possible there was an issue with an expired certificate or other credential related to app sharing, and Apple has had to reissue these updates to include a valid certificate on each of the affected apps in order to fix the issue.

So if you're seeing an unusual number of app updates available in the App Store, you're not alone.

Article Link: Apple Reissuing Numerous iOS App Updates, Potentially Related to Recent 'This App is No Longer Shared' Bug

Last edited:

JustinCymbal

Contributor
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
I had this problem too - it’s still happening as well - I have received over 30 updates...

I thought it was strange to get over 30 updates on a Sunday especially a holiday weekend (Memorial Day here in the US) when the Apple employees who approve apps are home

Good to know it’s been reported by others as well... Hopefully Apple fixes it soon

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Intersting. I was wondering about this. I suddenly had 74 app updates, even though all of them had already been updated. I was going to wait a day or two in case it was an app store error.

Also, how eerie that mine shows exactly those first and and third screenshots of app updates.

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
Fun fact: those updates are installed instantly regardless of your internet speed. If that is a full size update, it would need time to download and install. So the expired certificate thing sounds reasonable.

Edit: some still take a few seconds to download. Interesting. Maybe some are legitimate updates while others are just certs issue.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
'This App is No Longer Shared' Bug?
Ooops... bug? Say again?
[Checking the three unpublished rules of the MacRumors Forum.]

1. It is never a bug, it is always a feature.
2. Since it did not happen to me, it never happened.
3. And, if I blame Apple's eroding quality control, I am just a malcontent, a rube, an Apple hater.

/s

Last edited:

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
So, 13.5 and all that contact-tracing stuff is nice and secure, is it? Not buggy? Not letting every app track and trace you?

Roll back, if you can, because that is the root of the problem: shared apps and the tracking API not knowing which version of the shared app / device to follow and log. It is a cluster****.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: hagjohn

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
So, 13.5 and all that contact-tracing stuff is nice and secure, is it? Not buggy? Not letting every app track and trace you?

Roll back, if you can, because that is the root of the problem: shared apps and the tracking API not knowing which version of the shared app / device to follow and log. It is a clusterfuuuck.

Some of us who received the app updates are on 13.4 so your hypothesis is busted dude.

adetoye50

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2020
I saw 77 updates, most of these apps have been updated previously and no explanation was given as to why they should be updated again.
It is high time apple consider the previous ways of updating apps both on the devices and on the computers.

mtrm

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2013
Portugal
I had 16 updates on my iPhone and 11 on my iPad. Which is quite a bit given I only have around 65 apps installed (and even less on my iPad)! I found it quite suspicious as well, especially since it occurred on a Sunday evening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.