Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Reiterates 'Enormous Potential' of AR, Hints at 'Devices That May Exist Tomorrow'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a recent interview with CNET's Scott Stein, Apple's head of augmented reality and virtual reality initiatives Mike Rockwell said AR has "enormous potential" across both "devices that exist today" and "devices that may exist tomorrow."

"AR has enormous potential to be helpful to folks in their lives across devices that exist today, and devices that may exist tomorrow, but we've got to make sure that it is successful," Rockwell told Stein. "For us, the best way to do that is to enable our device ecosystem, so that it is a healthy and profitable place for people to invest their time and effort."

Apple is widely rumored to be developing both an AR/VR headset and glasses, but with neither product expected to be released until 2022 at the earliest, Apple continues to play up AR/VR technology in more vague terms. Apple and its CEO Tim Cook have repeatedly referred to AR as "big" and "profound" over the years.

"There's a lot more we can do, especially related to our understanding of the environment that is around us," Rockwell said. "We can recognize people, but if you think about what a human being can understand about an environment, there's no reason that in the fullness of time a device can't have that level of understanding, too, and provide that to developers."

"We'll be working together with the blind and partially sighted communities to improve specifically on the people-detection side," added Allessandra McGinnis, Apple's senior product manager for AR, referring to potential accessibility features.

The whole interview reads like yet another tease of the so-called "Apple Glasses":

"A few years from now, it'll be one of those things where you kind of can't remember living without it, just like the internet," said Rockwell, referring to AR. "You're going to feel like, wow, I'm using this on a regular basis … it will become just integrated into our lives."

In May, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that "Apple Glasses" will launch in 2022 at the earliest and provide an "innovative" user experience.

Article Link: Apple Reiterates 'Enormous Potential' of AR, Hints at 'Devices That May Exist Tomorrow'

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hmmm, is AR really a thing? I mean sure there are some applications of it, but even games are not racing to use AR. There will be novelty apps great for demos, but it feels like the real life benefits are not really there yet.

OTOH, plenty of AR used for selfies/Tiktok. Yay... I guess? :D

James Godfrey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
I do think Apple have things in the pipeline to utilise AR, but I think we are a year or 2 away from anything major at the moment

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
The future is now! Soon every American home will integrate their television, phone and computer. You'll be able to visit the Louvre on one channel, or watch female wrestling on another. You can do your shopping at home, or play Mortal Kombat with a friend from Vietnam. There's no end to the possibilities!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I do think Apple have things in the pipeline to utilise AR, but I think we are a year or 2 away from anything major at the moment
I think 2021 is way more likely. They have fast CPUs, high resolution displays, competent AI and machine learning, excellent cameras, LIDAR - Essentially all the tech that is needed.

Well, other than a purpose, short of dynamic Ikea catalogs and car window screen displays..

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Moonjumper

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Hmmm, is AR really a thing? I mean sure there are some applications of it, but even games are not racing to use AR. There will be novelty apps great for demos, but it feels like the real life benefits are not really there yet.

As people won't have to look down at their mobile screen, I hope there will be fewer pedestrians not looking where they are going, just vision partially blocked by AR. :)

xxray

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2013
I started understanding the potential for AR when I was able to virtually try on glasses frames during the pandemic. I didn't have to take the time to drive to the store, worry about getting sick, feel guilty and uncomfortable having a worker watch me and sanitize after every pair I tried on, and it was a lot quicker switching frames than it was in person.

Reactions: G5isAlive

MrTemple

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness

If you’re having trouble imagining AR’s uses, gaming is actually the BEST place to look.

Gaming has used HUD interfaces for pretty much ever.

Because a HUD is so damn useful. LITERALLY game-changing.

A HUD for real life will change how we go through the world forever.

delsoul

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2014
I know the last few years, apple surely has been the punching bag of many things. Behind the times, products that are getting stale, etc...Seems like apple isn't holding back anymore and is saying enough is enough!

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE

Reminds me of other promises I’ve heard about “revolutionary” technology in the past. In the early 1970’s there was the first oil crisis. Companies started development of hydrogen powered cars: they were only 20 years away.

There was a price hike by OPEC several times in the very late 70’s and through the 80’s, and governments and companies wanted you to know that they were working on hydrogen powered cars: they were only 20 years away.

Today, for both environmental and economic reasons we have to reduce dependence on oil. Fortunately, car companies and governments are working on a brand new technology-the hydrogen powered car. It’s at most 20 years away.

But when you can buy your reliable and economically feasible hydrogen car you can wear your AR headset to get car and location information displayed and customized just for you. All this within the next 20 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.