Apple Release Events Question (MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aevelasquez, Feb 19, 2011.

1. aevelasquez macrumors regular

When apple has the keynote addresses for the new MacBook Pros, etc. How does the general public get the information when they're held? Like are they streamed online somewhere, or what? Before they're like uploaded on youtube and junk.

I love apple and am a longtime consumer of their products, I've just never really been in the loop for their releases...not like immediately, I mean.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's unlikely that there is going to be an event for the MBP update. Public gets to know about those a week or two beforehand when invitations go out.

3. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

By event you mean, the addresses where he like goes in depth about the product market, what they've done with the product, what they want to do with it, where they're taking it, etc. ?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Basically yeah. MBP update will most likely be a silent update, meaning that Apple will just update their website.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Those are usually withheld only for the big product updates (WWDC, September iPod event and more recently the pre-Christmas Mac-centric event).

Most products are updated silently on the website.

6. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

Really?! That just seems so unlike apple. thats such a monumental change, wouldn't they usually hold something to introduce the new, refreshed product in-depth?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No. Sometimes they may combine an event with a product update (e.g. WWDC 2009) but usually updates are silent.

8. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh, I gotcha, thanks man.

9. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Shame.
    I`d hope they`d make a bigger deal about one of their biggest product lines :(

10. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

You and I both, man.
    It's definitely the thing I'd most anticipate out of Apple's year.

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

When they release the iPhone 5 and Mac OS X Lion they will have an event, sometime in the summer. After that they may have another event for the MBP and iPad 2. These are just rumors and trying to follow the pattern of the previous years.
    So when there is only a speed bump or a fix of not well disclosed issues they simple update their website, and sites like this get the news out.

12. Kalach macrumors member

Kalach

I'm for silent updates! Let the product speak for itself! :)

13. eddieaus macrumors regular

there will be an event, new macbook pro and ipad2.

14. oOoDeXoNoOo macrumors newbie

It still is possible that the next MBP refresh is rather "major" since Apple only holds a select number of events a year. And now that Steve is absent that number will be even lower. Products like the MBP don't need a keynote because people who buy a MBP have done their research and it's not an impulse purchase. The MBP's have been around for a long time so people know what to expect.

The last 2-3 years it has become clear that Apple is shifting attention to the iOS products because those are more impulse purchases and are also products that you replace more easily then an iMac or a MBP and on top of that they are the most popular. As such most events Apple organises are events where an iOS device is the main attraction.

And now you can say "but what about the MBA?", well the MBA was a major change in every way possible. The MBA's market changed from only the elite who could afford the insane price to the normal consumer, and like Steve said the MBA is the future of all laptops.

And to finish, the Mac Mini was released also without a keynote and that wasn't a small change either was it?

Just my 2 cents :D

15. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I take your point but the Mini is a very minor product (comparatively).
    Macbook range is Apple biggest selling computer by some margin, worthy of a little fanfare imo.
    I do agree that without Steve the Keynotes will have a lot less "pull" than they used to when it was the "Steve Jobs Show".

16. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

No no, thats completely rational and understandable, I totally agree. :D
    It just seemed like such a drastic refresh like the upcoming one would call for some sort of KNA.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is no guarantee that the next refresh will be dramatic in some way. Rumors are just rumors.

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Who said that apple only has to update their mbp once a year? Current mbp is due for desgin change. It's almost 3 years old.

19. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Ok Steve, how is the new design?

20. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Er, Not me...

21. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

steve jobs is going to do his keynote using iFaceTimechat from his house

22. Nerq macrumors newbie

I dont really think that it will be a massive upgrade for the MBP (sorry, I was hoping so myself).

But I think we will see a few bumps, such as a new processor etc. this time around.

The MBA still needs to establish itself as a solid product and if they take the SSD tech from that, and put it in the MBP and also slim the MBP a little. Why would people get a MBA? It is not that much less.

(But I would like a MBP in the summer, so still hoping)

23. nfl46 macrumors 603

Honestly, I'm thinking the iPad 2 and MBP event will be held together. This is more lightly to happen.

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Uh no.

25. JonDownin macrumors member

It's a long shot, but it is still possible that they will hold a small event later this week or next. It is not unheard of for Apple to send out invitations for smaller events a few days ahead of time. Also, we are almost guaranteed an iPad/iOS/OSX event next month or in early April, and Apple has also held events within a month of each other before (last September and October for example).

Let me be clear though: It doesn't look like an event will happen for this MPB revision.