Apple Releases 2018 Conflict Minerals Report, Remains 'Deeply Committed' to Responsible Sourcing

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today filed its 2018 Conflict Minerals Report with the SEC as part of its commitment to supplier responsibility.

[​IMG]

Apple said it remains "deeply committed" to upholding human rights across its global network of suppliers and "works to safeguard the well-being of people involved in its supply chain and to protect the places where materials are sourced."

Apple commits to use minerals in its products that do not directly or indirectly finance armed conflict or benefit armed groups.
    In 2017, The Enough Project said Apple was the "clear leader" among companies around the world at developing efforts to source conflict-free minerals from suppliers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Article Link: Apple Releases 2018 Conflict Minerals Report, Remains 'Deeply Committed' to Responsible Sourcing

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Yet Apple has no problem still using foxconn to make their iPhones, a company which has to have suicide prevention nets to catch despaired employees from killing themselves

3. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

Well it only took one post for this thread to go off the rails.

4. vicviper789 macrumors regular

“We use only ethically mined carbon neutral vegan materials. Also, please toss out your old device into a landfill and buy a new one annually”

5. max.ine macrumors regular

max.ine

This is technically not possible. By sourcing minerals from nearly any country in the world, you are by definition financing armed conflict.

6. JagdTiger macrumors regular

JagdTiger

Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and other companies do too, now there will be a foxconn plant in America.

7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

So two wrongs make a right? Great to know

8. JagdTiger macrumors regular

JagdTiger

No, it does not but the other companies don’t seem to distinguish that either, it’s money.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Apple is not perfect but, they are trying. I applaud them for that.

10. Mikerz macrumors newbie

Mikerz

Its a case of damned if you do, damned if you dont. They put that net there because there was a suicide and they wanted to prevent them in the future.

The rate of suicide at foxconn is actually significantly lower than in the society as a whole. People don’t realize how enormous foxconn is.

11. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I wonder what the suicide rate is at Apple compared to Foxconn

12. now i see it macrumors 68030

Why does apple always use the adjective "deeply" to describe what it does. Nobody on earth deeply cares.

13. Jakewilk macrumors regular

It sounds like you deeply don’t care about what they have to say ;)

14. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Not relevant stay on topic

15. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

First, how about (a) stop using glue and (b) stop soldering in RAM and non-upgradable CPUs, GPUs and SSDs in more of the computers?
    Second, how about not obsoleting, for example, a 2011 MacBook Pro when it is still serviceable? Don't rush upgrades and keep updating macOS for the Macs for longer.

Less waste, more environmentally friendly.

16. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Ahh, the I see no evil crowd

17. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Well that didn’t take long. Even though Apple is an industry leader in divesting from conflict minerals, they’re imperfect so therefore they suck and deserve no recognition at all.

Gotta love MacRumors forums.

18. Agit21 macrumors regular

This is the only relevant post here! Apple once again tries to fool everybody.

19. BigMcGuire, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

All humans are flawed, even you. If you look you'll see corruption, greed, filth everywhere. It's what defines humanity. There is a reason why a lot of us buy Apple, they try to / make an effort to curb that. Yeah, are they perfect? Nope.

I like that Apple's data centers are renewable powered. Are they 100% renewable powered? Well, if you look at the fact that they still need to be powered overnight when renewables aren't being generated, yeah I could pick that out and claim it isn't 100%, but the fact is they do more than most companies.

That and they make hardware which lasts longer than most plastic phones I've had in the past, and they support their software a lot longer than most other mobile operating systems. My boss was using a 4s up until a few years ago. My mom and dad are happily using a 6 today.

Every iPhone I've purchased I've been able to sell back to Apple for it to be re-used. No phone has gone into a "landfill" - I could not do this with my android phones in the past.

Don't even get me started on my Macbooks. They lasted 2x longer than my Windows laptops, were easily more than 2x reliable, and I sold them back (after 3 years) for 50% of their value.

Agreed. It's so frigging popular to be negative, outraged, and down on Apple. Takes a lot less IQ and effort to tear something down, to criticize, than it does to build it up, see the positives, and improve it. Can't really blame them for taking the easy road I guess. I'm lazy as <blank> myself.

20. SCtester macrumors newbie

SCtester

Do you have a source for this? I've been hearing conflicting information about how horrible/not horrible the Foxconn working conditions are, I'd like to get a solid idea of what it's actually like.

21. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Then I’m sure you’ll be happy to know that even at its peak back in 2010 suicide rates among Foxconn workers is much lower than China’s (and most nation’s) national average or at 1.4 out of 100,000. The suicide nets were a response to the overblown media reporting. If they really cared about the mental health of factory

I’m not going to say their labor conditions are great compared to higher paying jobs in factories in developed nations, but it is well above average among Chinese factories.

22. adamski23 macrumors regular

23. Kabeyun, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019

Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

I think it’s more about attention grabbing than laziness. You’ll get a lot more attention if you offer up a tittilating complaint than an agreeable comment. Being contrarian also also presents the illusion of critical thought, even though a logical counter argument is much harder that a snarky comment on one’s way to the toilet.

24. ZacD macrumors newbie

ZacD

The real news here is blockchain!

25. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Source on the suicide rates: Forbes, Business Insider, Wired

The bottom line is that Foxconn factories are operating factories in China, a country that was near the bottom of the world’s economic ladder just over 30 years ago. Worker conditions was not prioritized during this rapid development although it’s showing some signs of improvment in recent years. The hours are long, the living quarters are cramped, and employee food is probably not the best quality. But it’s no different than other factories operating in China and most developing nations. Relative to the other factories in China, Foxconn is quite desirable as an employer, which is why people wait long lines every year to work at their factories.