Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

164229-aperture_3.jpg
Apple today released a pair of software updates, offering improvements for Aperture users while also updating iMovie to improve its ability to use video from Aperture.

- Aperture 3.0.2 weighs in at 69.83 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.2. It offers a significant number of improvements throughout the application.This update improves overall stability and fixes issues in a number of areas. The key areas addressed include:

- Upgrading Aperture 1.x and 2.x libraries
- Importing libraries from iPhoto or from earlier versions of Aperture
- Importing hierarchical folders of photos into a library
- Adding names and confirming matches in Faces
- Reordering snapshots on the Faces corkboard
- Creating and saving print presets
- Duplicating metadata presets
- Adjustments using Curves, Straighten and Retouching
- Navigation of photos in the Viewer using scrolling
- Importing ratings, color labels and GPS data from XMP sidecar files
- IPTC metadata compatibility
- Deleting photos when emptying the Aperture Trash
- Exporting versions and librariesFull details of the over 65 changes included in the update are available in the release notes.

- iMovie 8.0.6, weighing in at 35.84 MB and requiring Mac OS X 10.5.6 or later, "improves reliability when working with videos from Aperture" and is recommended for all iMovie '09 users.

Article Link: Apple Releases Aperture 3.0.2 and iMovie 8.0.6

Snowcat001

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Yes :) nicely fixed some bugs that were annoying me (import bug, faces naming)

Thank you Apple!:D

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Faces is definitely improved in 3.0.2. The initial recognition is better and I'm not getting bombarded by the same rejected images over and over again.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
What a bloated app. Over half a GB...ONE app!

Aperture is the only reason why I'm still using a Mac. But when you're talking about bloat... Please let me know why that word processor Pages is so huge. Or Photoshop.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Aperture is the only reason why I'm still using a Mac. But when you're talking about bloat... Please let me know why that word processor Pages is so huge. Or Photoshop.

Pages is full of templates.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Aperture Is Gettin A Whole Lotta Love

Nice to see two updates since release of this App. :D

Apple SW teams is keeping their nose to the grindstone!!!

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Wow, never thought I'd be clamoring for a .0.2 update, but I've been going crazy waiting for this one!

Does it fix the time zone problems? Does Aperture recognize the existence of Daylight Savings time yet?

What a bloated app. Over half a GB...ONE app!
Your photo manager takes the same disk space as, what?, 50 or 60 images? I have 10's of thousands of images being managed-- the application size just doesn't seem that big a deal to me.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Loving Aperture 3 so far

A few months ago I was looking at jumping to LR, but I'm having a great time with Ap3. It really screams compared to Ap2 on my system, and I had no issues with converting my 80,000 image library.

Been playing around with the Places feature the last few days, as I bought an AMOD GPS logger for a recent 23 day trip to Argentina. I had synced the camera to the exact time before leaving (sometimes the intenet rocks!) to allow perfect syncing with the GPS satellite data, but found that Aperture doesn't import the logs directly to the images.

So some fiddling is involved, and you have to drag the images you want "placed" to the track, then drag the mouse around the track to match the time before releasing. Problem is that it shows "0 minutes" difference, but you still may be off by 59 seconds. But besides this fiddling, the feature really is cool.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Big surprise, my Mac doesn't recognize that i have Aperture on it. Couldn't get 3.0.1 to work, and now 3.0.2 is the same. What a waste.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Big surprise, my Mac doesn't recognize that i have Aperture on it. Couldn't get 3.0.1 to work, and now 3.0.2 is the same. What a waste.
Are you using Trial or full version? From what I heard (and in the way you wrote it), OSX wont register Aperture when you check for updates.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Hmm, big speed improvements for me regarding Faces, excellent news. It does seem to have flagged some of my previously correct faces wrongly though.

I'm enjoying all the little updates, I've been happy with Aperture but it's good to know they're still ironing things out.

uptherighttree

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
does it solve the import from the camera speed issue?

took nearly 20 minutes to import 8 images from my canon 5d mkII the other day!

photothatdodo

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2009
Glad to see this update

Hmm...for me Aperture 3 was a crisis. I'm a professional photographer and my 2010 Quarter 1 library, a 72 GB file, with around 9,000 images, was rendered virtually unusable by the initial conversion. Each time I opened it, it crashed or gave me the spinning wheel of torture and death within a minute. I could use Ap3 in 32bit mode, but to do real work, I had to go back to my back-up, use Ap2 and sit tight for 3.01.

Since 3.01, all the functions have been relatively stable. I still get system slowing and crashes when I use the retouch tool for more than a few basic adjustments, but other than that, it has been usable and quick. I haven't even attempted the use of Faces and Places.

Maybe with this update I will try Faces and Places and it looks like the 3.02 update includes a stability fix for the Retouch tool so maybe this is the One?

The bottom line is that even though Ap3 seems to have worked for some people, and I certainly don't understand the disparity with people like me for whom it was an absolute disaster, but it, 3.0, should never have been released. It was obviously not well tested and was worse than most Beta software that I've tried in the past. At least companies that release Betas, like Adobe, call them Betas. To be honest, 3.01 acted like what most companies would call a Beta. I'm hoping that 3.02 will act like stable software.

I love Apple, never wavered from them, even in the mid/late 90s, love my iPod, and loved, from the beginning, Aperture and iPhoto. They changed my life immeasurably and have made my life and my business easier, quicker and more fun, but hope they haven't grown to believe that they can sacrifice quality for speed, or quality in order to try and compete with Adobe.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Aperture 3 has got to be one of the buggiest new software releases from Apple in a while.

Really hoping the iPad's shipping version of 3.2 does not suffer similarly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.