Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

aperture_3.jpg
Apple yesterday released Aperture 3.2.1, bringing several bug fixes to the company's professional-level photo editing and management application.
What's New in Aperture 3.2.1

- Resolves an issue that could cause Aperture to quit unexpectedly at launch on Macs with Core Duo processors
- Addresses problems that could cause the Crop tool to switch to the incorrect orientation or resize incorrectly
- Resolves rendering issues when cropping images with Onscreen Proofing enabled
- Location menus are now displayed correctly on the map in the Places view when "Photos" is selected in the Library Inspector
The download, which comes on top of the Aperture 3.2 update released earlier this month to support iOS 5 and iCloud, weighs in at 635.76 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or OS X 10.7.2.

Article Link: Apple Releases Aperture 3.2.1

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I'm glad Apple is still showing us love (in the form of bugfixes) for those stuck with original Core Duo processors... :p but not much love elsewhere... ;)

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Bugs were introduced in last update...

The wrong orientation on the crop tool was introduced on the last update. I never had that problem until then. It drives me crazy to have to manually switch orientation on every cropped photo.
The fix something but they always break something too... :confused:

Snowcat001

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Thank you Apple!
Was really annoying having to switch the dimensions of the crop tool!

Now how about improved noise reduction and faster processing :D

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Anyone know if this makes Aperture "projects" or "events" visible on the Apple TV in the grid-view, like what we get when using iPhoto?

The fact that Aperture only sends a list-view of all albums/projects/events to the Apple TV is the only thing holding me back from upgrading to Aperture from iPhoto at this point.

gavcur

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

17.19mb for me via app store :D

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I'm glad Apple is still showing us love (in the form of bugfixes) for those stuck with original Core Duo processors... :p but not much love elsewhere... ;)

That's for sure. Aperture runs kind of sluggish on my MBP. iPhoto runs much faster, just like most apps I run. I don't know if it's an Aperture issue or what. Hopefully this update will make it better.

smalltimewine

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
The cropping bug was annoying, and Aperture in general has slowed for me on Lion compared to Snow Leopard on a very speedy Mid-2010 i7 MBP. I'm glad they're at least reacting quickly to some issues.

I'm very much starting to wonder what they're planning (and if) for a version 4.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Great to see issues fixed, but I am still amazed at how absolutely inefficient Aperture is.

Incredibly slow. Yes. I have a large library. Yes, the images are large. But, isn't this the professional-level library management tool?

The issue I have here is that I know it is possible to do much better. Software can (and does) scale much better - and it isn't the hardware I'm running on :).

I think performance, scalability, and responsiveness is the next thing Apple needs to focus on here.

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
USA
I'm just glad I can open Aperture again. I'll take SLOW performance vs NO performance. :D

I am really starting to think about taking Lightroom for a spin.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
The cropping bug was annoying, and Aperture in general has slowed for me on Lion compared to Snow Leopard on a very speedy Mid-2010 i7 MBP. I'm glad they're at least reacting quickly to some issues.

I'm very much starting to wonder what they're planning (and if) for a version 4.

I always wonder what causes some users to have such differences in performance. My experience with Apeture is that it has improved significantly over time on my 2009 Mini...to the point where it is now the fastest it has ever been under Lion, even compared to SL. Maybe I cleaned some things up when I installed Lion?

marcmartineau

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
Sherbrooke, Quebec

Well, I have a MacBook PRo Sept 2009 Core 2 Duo upgraded to 8 Gig OWC RAM and 2 x OWC Mercury 3G SSD Drive and it flies ! Almost as fast as the new 2011 MBP ! ! !

Update fine for me ! Love Aperture !:):D

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Great to see issues fixed, but I am still amazed at how absolutely inefficient Aperture is.

Incredibly slow. Yes. I have a large library. Yes, the images are large. But, isn't this the professional-level library management tool?

The issue I have here is that I know it is possible to do much better. Software can (and does) scale much better - and it isn't the hardware I'm running on :).

I think performance, scalability, and responsiveness is the next thing Apple needs to focus on here.
Unfortunately Apple is focusing on consumers, not Pros.
I've been using Aperture since v1.0 and it bothers me that it hasn't changed much since. I have too much time and effort invested to switch to Lightroom or similar. Besides it works "OK" for me on a 12-Core MacPro with 24GG of RAM and 480GB SSD. The SSD makes the whole difference BTW, everything renders a lot faster, even on my 700GB library with 600 projects in it.
Apple is focusing their efforts on consumers because they want volume but they seem to forget that Macs have been "Pro" machines since the start. Every designer, videographer, photographer or creative pro has been using Macs from the start and now they are forgetting about us.
I want a new MacPro! They release updated MacBooks and crap like that every other week and no Pro stuff... No Pro Keyboards, no Pro Mice, no Pro nothing... :mad:

longtimelurker

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
SW US
Aperture has been a huge drain on my MBP RAM memory. In fact, since my puter is 2007 vintage and limited to 4g, I can't do much more than Aperture when it is running. This update for a few minor items is over 600 mb? whew.

Anyone have ideas about how to reduce RAM usage by the big A?
:(

binklewis

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Aperture has been a huge drain on my MBP RAM memory. In fact, since my puter is 2007 vintage and limited to 4g, I can't do much more than Aperture when it is running. This update for a few minor items is over 600 mb? whew.

Anyone have ideas about how to reduce RAM usage by the big A?
:(

I've found the following workarounds helpful:

1. switched to lion, disk drive was thrashing. Turned out to be the spotlight "mdworker" task thrashing the drive every time Aperture started or I touched a file. The workaround is to go in system preferences and change the "privacy" tab for spotlight to exclude the folder containing your Aperture Library.

2. memory hog - Aperture is taking up a ton of memory on a 4GB Core 2 Duo box (2008 iMac) running Lion. The fix was was to go the Applications folder, right click on Aperture and choose "Get Info". In that dialog, check the "Run this app in 32 bit mode" option. For some reason, this seems to clear up the memory issue. I don't think 10.7.2 / Aperture 3.2 / 3.2.1 fixed this, but maybe it did.

infobleep

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would like them to fix the issue where by thy trash alll the file creation dates of your reference masters if you do a update metadta option.

I have reported it but I guess most users don't understand about such things or don't used referenced masters so it not high on their list of fixes, if at all.

Currently I have to exported to XMP, use ExifTool yo update the images and the update the masters accordingly.

I also have to move the masters myself, if I wish yo change their directory because I cN't do that in Aperture either, without my file attributes being trashed.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Just curious, but those of you with performance issues and Aperture performing slowly, are you allowing Aperture to create Jpeg "previews" for all of your images? Do you use "previews" for anything outside of Aperture? In my case I don't, so I deleted all preview images and it reduced the size of my Aperture library and improved performance. Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.