Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a fifth Studio Display 17 firmware beta, with the update coming two weeks after the release of the fourth beta.

apple-studio-display-blue.jpg

All Studio Display models are able to receive over-the-air firmware updates, but this firmware update is limited to Macs that are running the new macOS Sonoma operating system at the current time. macOS Sonoma is also being beta tested.

Studio Display owners running macOS Sonoma can go to System Settings > Software Update to install the firmware.

Apple has not provided details on what's included in the firmware update and no new features were found by those running the betas. Release notes and full launch information will be available when the new Studio Display update comes out this fall alongside macOS Sonoma.

Article Link: Apple Releases Fifth Studio Display 17 Firmware Beta

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I don't understand what the point of these betas is when they don't even want to tell us what has been changed nor what to test.
In the near future, updates and changes to the underlying OS will be invisible, no documentation will be available, and you won’t even be sure, and sometimes not even aware that it happened. In fact this has already happened.

• Wow

ralphthemagi

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
meanwhile my LG 32 inch 4 K monitor...just seems not not need updates... BECAUSE IT IS A MONITOR! the studio display is an over engineered, over priced and unnecessary piece of electronics.
The LG Ultrafine's don't get updates either but desperately need them. Every Ultrafine ever made has a critical design flaw that all but guarantees failure.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
meanwhile my LG 32 inch 4 K monitor...just seems not not need updates... BECAUSE IT IS A MONITOR! the studio display is an over engineered, over priced and unnecessary piece of electronics.

That's great if you're not fussy and your needs are met with a 4K display.

As a photographer, I require an outstanding 5K display and Apple's delivers.

cs44

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
I'm in the market and have considered the Studio Display. Have the front facing camera issues been resolved?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I'm in the market and have considered the Studio Display. Have the front facing camera issues been resolved?
I've used my Studio Display for hundreds of video calls and meetings. While the camera is not as good as the ones in some of Apple's other devices, it's been more than adequate. The only thing I hope gets fixed with this firmware update is a glitch where my image sometimes moves unexpectedly in the frame with Center Stage on.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Ah but it is so gorgeous. Seriously. I love mine.

I'd love it even more if it had HDMI input but I knew what I was getting when I bought it. And after 18 months, I still love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.