Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases Firmware Updates for 'Late 2008' Portables

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today released a number of firmware updates for the "Late 2008" MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air. Each model requires two separate firmware updates.

EFI Firmware Updates: The Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) specifies the interface between a computer's firmware and the operating system. These updates address several issues related to system stability. Further information and installation instructions can be found on Apple's support page.

SMC Firmware Updates: The System Management Controller (SMC) controls various power-related functions. According to Apple, these updates address the "sensing and accuracy of the MagSafe Power Adapter indicator light, and the battery charge indicator lights." General information and installation instructions for SMC updates can be found on Apple's support page.

MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.3 (1.8 MB)
MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.2 (556 KB)

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.6 (1.9 MB)
MacBook Pro 15-inch SMC Firmware Update 1.2 (559 KB)

MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 1.1 (2.4 MB)
MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update 1.1 (556 KB)

Article Link: Apple Releases Firmware Updates for 'Late 2008' Portables

rlmccormick

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Sleep mode current

I wonder if the MBPs power consumption while in sleep mode will be improved. I lose ~20% of my battery in 12 hours while in sleep mode :(

Comment

chimpy72

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
I thought the SMC updates would address the supposed nVidia issues, not charging lights...

Can we get any reports from anyone to say if these updates fixed that problem?

Comment

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Is it ok to delete the files from the utilities folder after the updates are successfully completed?

Also, there was a past trackpad update that i performed and i see that that file is in my utilities folder as well. Can that be deleted too?

Thanks.

Comment

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hmmm call me a cynic but i have the weird feeling the firmwares are just gonna 'adjust' the GPUs (down-clock) or boost the fans so they 'perform better'

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Any news on whether this fixes any trackpad issues and the whole 4GB issue?

Comment

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA
SMC Firmware Updates: The System Management Controller (SMC) controls various power-related functions. According to Apple, these updates address the "sensing and accuracy of the MagSafe Power Adapter indicator light, and the battery charge indicator lights." General information and installation instructions for SMC updates can be found on Apple's support page.

I have a Late 2008 MacBook.
I have noticed that the indicator light on the MagSafe occasionally/randomly goes out. I will do this update ASAP and see if it fixes it.

Comment

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Odd. Am I the only one who only sees one new update?

EDIT: Wait a second. I only saw one update in software update, but once it had installed and closed another update came up. Interesting. Requires shutdown.

Update: Updated and working. No noticeable changes, though fingers crossed if fixes the sleep issue.

Comment

Soat

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2006
In true Apple update fashion, switching between GPUs "feels snappier."

Now if it stops BlSODing in the middle of WoW raid bosses while I'm main tanking, that remains to be seen...

Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I have a Late 2008 MacBook.
I have noticed that the indicator light on the MagSafe occasionally/randomly goes out. I will do this update ASAP and see if it fixes it.

That's an issue with the Magsafe, not the laptop. See this thread from 2007.

Google search = "magsafe light goes out"

EDIT: though the SMC updater does appear to indicate that their is some kind of update... interesting...

Comment

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Just installed both updates. I'm hoping the EFI update takes care of the issue with my MacBook Pro waking up out of sleep mode with the OHC2 wake reason code. *crosses fingers*

Comment

maxshanly

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Mac Genius replaced my MagSafe Power Adapter

I had an appointment at the Genius Bar on Saturday and the Mac Genius replaced my MagSafe Power Adapter because like me, he thought it was faulty. Turned out it just needed an EFI Update!

Comment

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
I hope this improves charge time. Also my alumacbook uses so much power while sleeping.

Comment

Bryanj026

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2008
In true Apple update fashion, switching between GPUs "feels snappier."

Now if it stops BlSODing in the middle of WoW raid bosses while I'm main tanking, that remains to be seen...

Download SMCfancontrol and use that while playing wow. I personally don't have any experience with this BlSOD thing but from what I understand its a heating issue. SMCfancontrol does what apple should have put in there computer to begin with but I guess they felt we can adjust the fan speed manually. anyway I hope this helps.

Comment

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
I installed the EFI update and all went fine.

Installed the SMC update and as it updates (during the reboot) the fans went on full blast.
It rebooted on completion and now back in leopard the fans seem to be running faster than usual at idle on the left side of the keyboard. I presume this is where the GFX card is.

Comment

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Re: firmware updates

Interesting... I just tried to apply both new updates to my new mbp that I received Monday. It came back saying my system already had the updates applied. Appears that they have had this update done for at least a week then.

Aside from that, I have absolutely ZERO complaints about this new rig. I love it, and its absolutely fantastic.

Comment

Bryanj026

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2008
I installed the EFI update and all went fine.

Installed the SMC update and as it updates (during the reboot) the fans went on full blast.
It rebooted on completion and now back in leopard the fans seem to be running faster than usual at idle on the left side of the keyboard. I presume this is where the GFX card is.

I noticed that too but they returned to normal after a minute. I'm trying to get my computer nice and hot now in hopes that apple has installed some kind of heat monitor. so far cpu 140F and GPU around 135F. I would think the fans would kick in my now but I guess I was wrong. Looks like manual adjustment through smcfancontrol ftw

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.