Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
is it just me or does others find it unnecessary to leave your MBPs, or any laptop for that matter, in sleep/hibernation for that long? I mean, i dont mean to sound rude, but experiences tell me that nothing good can ever come out of hibernation. windows/mac/linux.. something is bound to go wrong and you wind up having to restart anyways.. but just my 2 cents:cool:

People turn computers off? Why? I thought even the apple website said don't bother unless you're leaving the computer for several days! Why do you turn it off?

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
I didn't think that this might be weird until I read about/installed the update. Since day one, my MB screen is very bright when I open it, and then dims considerably a split second later. If I'm in a light room I don't notice it, but in the dark it's very very noticeable/a little alarming. Is this normal? Expected? Common? Weird?

petz0ldt

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
I didn't think that this might be weird until I read about/installed the update. Since day one, my MB screen is very bright when I open it, and then dims considerably a split second later. If I'm in a light room I don't notice it, but in the dark it's very very noticeable/a little alarming. Is this normal? Expected? Common? Weird?

Im guessing thats the automatically adjust the brightness of the screen feature? Look under system preferences/display

starzplacez

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Hawkeye411 said:
I always use sleep mode. I never turn off the power on my MBP. Did the same with my iMac and white MB when I had them and I have never had any problems.

Cheers.

i agree about the fact that it is very nice to have it resume where i left off, i do that too very often.. just that i dont like the idea of leaving it sleeping for like 8+ hours.. maybe it's just me.. but i always feel that the computer is a bit sluggish after i resume it.. and no i am not a pc fanboy, i use PC at home, mac at school, and linux most of the time at work... hah:p

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
i agree about the fact that it is very nice to have it resume where i left off, i do that too very often.. just that i dont like the idea of leaving it sleeping for like 8+ hours.. maybe it's just me.. but i always feel that the computer is a bit sluggish after i resume it.. and no i am not a pc fanboy, i use PC at home, mac at school, and linux most of the time at work... hah:p

There is no reason to shut down your computer if you use it every day or even every couple of days.

KineticEcho

macrumors newbie
I bought my 2.4Ghz Alu Macbook two days ago, yesterday I downloaded the two updates and all worked fine (accordingly to the release notes, so no worry for the fan loud noise during the update).

Now the battery charge percentage displays 100% when full (it was stuck at 99% before) and the led of the magsafe becomes green (it was always orange before the update).

Plumbstone

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
JUst downloaded both updates for the MBP, once I got 'em I get a window telling e my computer doesn't need these updates... Guess they were already intalled as I only got the Mbp about a weel ago....?

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
I bought my MacBook Air Rev B 2 weeks ago and it installed the updates when I downloaded them. Mine was a Week 43 MBA.

dead76

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
Still not much improvement in sleep batt power

I just wanted to chime in for the record, after installing the updates, aside from fans now running slightly higher at normal computing stuff for me (non-gaming), I don't see a huge improvement in the drastic power loss I am getting during sleep mode.

I know people that leave their early Macs in sleep for days, I've done this for 1 full day and I'm at almost 70% from a full charge. I hope a future update will fix this specifically. Dunno what my computer is doing, but its using power somewhere. I thought this was supposed to be a "green computer"

-jeff

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
I had the hard drive clicking before and now I think it is worse if that is possible. I usually never had it more than 1 every 3 seconds. Now I get strings of clicks with 2 or less seconds between clicks and then quiet for a while or intermittent clicks.

johnryjr

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
I just received my MacBook today, the updates did not show up. How do I see if I have them?

RoDe

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2006
Biggest issue still not fixed

OK this morning I woke my computer to find it still has the problem, that when I wake the computer my ACD goes all fuzzy/blurry on me.

I'm starting to fear that this maybe well be a hardware issue and not an software issue.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm getting this strange feeling NVIDIA **** up

henk.honk

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
Are there any positive or negative differences between old & new efi & smc for the MBA?
Is the grafic improved (thin stripes on the display)?
Does the fan run more often?

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
I have an interesting problem. Earlier my MBP was extremely hot (CPU/GPU over 90c) while playing and fans were at the full speed most time. These new SMC/EFI updates fixed the heating problem quite well, the fans weren't at the full speed all the time anymore and the processor temperatures stayed between 70c-80c. Everything seemed fine.

However, last night I installed Windows Vista with Bootcamp and used the Bootcamp drivers on the Leopard DVD. Today I was playing on Mac OSX, and it seems that the fans/temperatures are similar to those BEFORE the SMC/EFI updates. Is it possible that installing Windows and "old" Bootcamp drivers somehow messed up the SMC/EFI and the new firmware was overwritten by the old one?

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
However, last night I installed Windows Vista with Bootcamp and used the Bootcamp drivers on the Leopard DVD. Today I was playing on Mac OSX, and it seems that the fans/temperatures are similar to those BEFORE the SMC/EFI updates. Is it possible that installing Windows and "old" Bootcamp drivers somehow messed up the SMC/EFI and the new firmware was overwritten by the old one?

I don't know, but it should be easy to check. Go to :apple: menu -> About This Mac, and click on "More Info": that will tell you the current Boot ROM and SMC versions.

From http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacBook_Pro_EFI_Firmware_Update_1_6:
Boot ROM Version Information: MBP51.0074.01B
From http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacBook_Pro_15_inch_SMC_Firmware_Update_1_2:
SMC Firmware version = 1.33f8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.