Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the first public beta of iOS 11 to its public beta testing group, allowing non-developers to download and test the update ahead of its fall release. iOS 11 has been available for developers since June 5, and the first public beta corresponds with the second developer beta.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 11 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

ios-11-beta-800x500.jpg

Those who want to join the beta testing program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. Before installing a beta, make sure to create a full encrypted iTunes backup and be sure to install it on a secondary device because beta software is not stable and can include many bugs.

iOS 11 brings subtle design changes to the operating system, including a new Lock screen experience and a customizable, redesigned Control Center. Siri is smarter, has a more natural voice, and can do more, Messages features person-to-person Apple Pay, Notes has searchable handwriting and document scanning, and Music now lets you share playlists with your friends.

A new Files app improves file management on iOS devices, and for the iPad in particular, there's a new Dock, an App Switcher, and support for Drag and Drop, all of which vastly improves multitasking on the device. An entirely revamped App Store is coming in the update, photos and videos take up less space, iMessages can be stored in iCloud, and developers are getting new tools like ARKit for creating impressive new augmented reality apps and games.

For full details on all of the new features included in iOS 11, make sure to check out our iOS 11 roundup. iOS 11 will be available for developers and public testers for testing purposes for several months ahead of a planned fall release.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Beta of iOS 11 to Public Beta Testers

tbalena

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
Any idea if the old Public Beta profile (used for new 10.x releases) will automatically shift over to giving me 11.0? Or do I have to install a new profile?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Can't wait to hear if DirecTV Now and Plex work with this one. The developer's beta did not. Maybe now that its public, there will be movement from all concerned to make them work again.
I have no issues with Plex on my Air 2 running 11B2. Haven't tested with the revised build yet tho. This will most likely be the same build as DP2.1 as PB always has the same build as DP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.