Apple Releases First Beta of tvOS 9.1

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 3, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming update to tvOS, the new operating system that runs on the fourth-generation Apple TV. Today's tvOS beta marks the first software update to tvOS 9.0, a final version of which was released alongside the new Apple TV.

tvOS betas are not as easy to install as beta updates for iOS and OS X. The update will require the Apple TV to be connected to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, with the software downloaded and installed via iTunes.

[​IMG]

It is not yet clear what is included in the new version of tvOS, but Apple's release notes for the update include references to networking and scrolling tweaks and we will include any other external facing changes below.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Beta of tvOS 9.1

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I'm glad to see they are already sending out betas of tvOS. The device definitely needs some polishing so hopefully apple will be updating it frequently.

3. zakarhino macrumors 6502a

zakarhino

If someone installs this, please please please check if there's an option to change the Siri input language in the Settings menu.

4. JonneyGee macrumors 6502

JonneyGee

With an update so soon, it sounds like they'll be releasing updates on a schedule similar to iOS (and starting with 9.0 would further this speculation). That's a great sign! And I'm sure one of the the updates – perhaps tvOS 10 – will include direct updates instead of requiring it to be done through a computer.

5. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Largely exists to bring the tvOS version along the iOS version number.

6. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

It would be nice if they gave is a way to browse the app store - you know, like the other Apple stores.:confused:

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yesterday movie titles weren't showing above when movies was selected on the home screen, content didn't update to show the new charts section, and HDMI-CEC just stopped working. A quick restart resolved everything of course, but tvOS is definitely buggy at the moment.

8. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

It's a shame I don't have a USB-C cable laying around, and I'm not going to buy one just for this.

9. thomasdzubin macrumors newbie

"The update will require the Apple TV to be connected to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, with the software downloaded and installed via iTunes."

What am I, a caveman?

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Not sure why they didn't just begin at version 1.0, like WatchOS.

11. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

isn't it supposed to be iOS 9 but just formatted for the TV?

12. RealKrS macrumors member

13. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

Is there going to be a public beta for this like there is for iOS?

14. Trik macrumors regular

I don't necessarily disagree, but it's not as if you're investing in a proprietary format, it's just a matter of time before everything is USB-C.

15. snooover macrumors newbie

Because you asked please so many times...

The answer is unfortunately no. There is still no option to change the Siri input language in the Settings menu, even on the tvOS 9.1.

16. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea, but I thought that since this was such a significant overhaul to deserve its own OS name, Apple would just start from version 1.

17. salohcin macrumors member

I'm pretty sure it's just the Beta that requires a computer to update. The full release will be able to be updated from the ATV just like with previous models/OSs.

18. jb-net macrumors member

It's time to add the missing podcasts.app to tvOS9.

19. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

In my mind these are patch-worthy (not listing big features here)
    1. remote app (or at minimum some kind of private password/pin code entry from an idevice) support
    2. audio quality issues
    3. weird discoveryd-like issues from airplay (like appletv(3) all over again).

There are greater travesties but keep it to legit major 1.0 issues

20. StevieD100 macrumors 6502

StevieD100

It is a shame that I don't have a computer with USB-C capability lying around and not going to buy one just for this.

There fixed it for you.

Actually, I think that this can't be true. Surley any USB connection (USB-3 preferred) should be able to do this update.

21. heryqk macrumors newbie

Did they bring back the missing "Mark as watch / unwatched" feature ?

22. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I hope tvOS 9.1 brings proper handoff keyboard support to iOS devices for inputing text like during setup. I'd be fine if this replaced the remote app, but just give us a method for inputing text, other than the Siri remote!

23. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Man hope lets hope for some of the big missing stuff. But overall enjoying new apple tv.

24. EsbenJohnson macrumors member