Apple Releases First Public Beta of iOS 12

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 25, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple this afternoon released the first public beta of iOS 12 to its public beta testing group, giving non-developers a chance to test the software ahead of its upcoming fall release. The first public beta of iOS 12 should correspond to the second developer beta, which was released last week.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 12 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

[​IMG]

Those who want to join the beta testing program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. Before installing a beta, make sure to create a full encrypted iTunes backup or an iCloud backup and be sure to install iOS 12 on a secondary device because beta software is not always stable and can include bugs.

iOS 12 is a significant update to the iOS operating system, introducing Group FaceTime, local multiplayer shared AR experiences, new Animoji, and a Memoji feature that's designed to let you create a personalized Animoji that looks just like you.

Animoji, stickers, text, and more can be used in FaceTime and the Messages app, and there's a new Screen Time feature to help customers understand and manage the amount of time they're spending on their iOS devices. New Do Not Disturb features make it easier to manage notifications, as do interactive notification options and notification grouping.

Siri has been improved in iOS 12 with Siri Shortcuts, which is designed to allow Siri to work with any app, and Siri is also smarter and able to provide info on motorsports, food, and celebrities.

Under-the-hood improvements to iOS 12 will make everyday tasks on the iPhone and iPad faster and more responsive, with the camera launching up to 70 percent faster and the keyboard showing up to 50 percent faster.

iOS 12 will be available to developers and public beta testers as a beta for several months to allow Apple to work out kinks and bugs. The update will see a launch this fall.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Public Beta of iOS 12

2. bchery21 macrumors 6502a

bchery21

Have fun everyone, but I'll fall back and wait.

3. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

4. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

5. Sixcranker macrumors member

Sixcranker

Gonna dive in and try it...after I just DL 11.4 Beta 4 lmao

6. DrwMDvs macrumors member

DrwMDvs

7. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

Think ima wait one more rev on this and Mojave (which was also released to the public today).

8. jeek macrumors member

Great! I've been looking forward to this.

9. hlevolve macrumors regular

hlevolve

I'm going to install it when I get home (after I make a backup of my current setup of course). I'm hoping for some speed improvements here and there and oddly enough I actually want to check out the Screen Time features. I am curious if I am using the phone far more than I think I am. The other stuff I probably won't mess with too much until the full release later this year when it will work with other peoples phones.

And almost forgot the biggest thing. I wanna play with Siri shortcuts, thats probably the biggest thing in this update to me... once developers start to fully implement it I think thats going to be awesome.

10. MORGiON666 macrumors newbie

Enrolled my iPhone X, when installing profile it asked if I wanted to install on my Apple Watch. Can I use public beta on my Apple Watch too?

11. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

Downloading it and ready to f*** up my iPad Pro, but I could care less. I will try not to install it on my iPhone X yet.

12. munpip214 macrumors member

with GPS, Reminders, and Carplay issues I will hold off until at least PB2

13. twittervanitybonet macrumors member

twittervanitybonet

Well i will wait til beta 2

14. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68030

MuGeN PoWeR

15. Sound214 macrumors 6502

16. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Literally the story right before this one.

17. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68030

MuGeN PoWeR

i am sure they are fixed by them by now!

18. howard479 macrumors newbie

howard479

19. WilliamG macrumors G3

Waiting for confirmation this is fixed. I use CarPlay every day...

20. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

I read on reddit it is. I’m gonna wait till the next drop.

21. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68030

MuGeN PoWeR

2.xx gb

22. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Soooo, does this ship the Shortcuts app, unlike Dev Beta 2?

23. Sixcranker macrumors member

Sixcranker

Mine is 2.55 GB

24. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Kinda want to install it now but I'm gonna be patient and wait 'til I get home so I can backup my phone first.

25. zepfhyr macrumors member

zepfhyr

What's the build number?

For developers, the watchOS beta is separate from the iOS beta, so I don't know if installing the profile on your Watch will change anything at this time.