Apple Releases First Public Betas of iOS 13 and iPadOS

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 24, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released the first public betas of iOS 13 and iPadOS to its public beta testing group, giving non-developers a chance to test out the software ahead of its upcoming fall release.

The first public beta of iOS 13 corresponds to the second developer beta released last week. Apple originally said that the public beta would be coming in July, but has apparently decided to release it a few days early. Apple's public beta testing website is still down, so public beta testers will not be able to install the software until it's up.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 13 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

[​IMG]

Those who want to join the beta testing program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. Before installing a beta, make sure to create a full encrypted iTunes backup or an iCloud backup. It's best to install iOS 13 on a secondary device because beta software is not always stable and can include bugs.

iOS 13 is a major update to the iOS operating system that runs on the iPhone and the iPad, but this year, iOS 13 and iPadOS, the version of iOS 13 that runs on the iPad, are separate downloads as they've been split up.

iPadOS is identical to iOS 13 in almost every way, though there are some iPad-specific features such as new multitasking capabilities. For the most part, the two operating systems share the same features.

iOS 13 introduces a long list of new features. Dark Mode changes the entire look of the operating system, shifting it from light to dark, while an overhauled Photos app makes it easier to relive your memories with new Days, Months, and Years viewing options.

There's a new photo editing interface that makes it easier to edit photos than ever before, plus there are new tools to work with and options to edit the intensity of the built-in filters.

You can edit video right in the Photos app for the first time, and on the newest iPhones, there's a new High-Key Mono lighting effect and an option to adjust the intensity of Portrait Lightning effects.

There's a less obtrusive volume HUD, a new Find My app that combines Find My iPhone and Find My Friends and lets you track your devices even with they don't have an LTE or WiFi connection.

A Sign In with Apple feature (not yet active) gives you a convenient and data safe way to sign into apps and websites, providing an alternative to Facebook and Google sign in options.

Maps has a new street-level "Look Around" mode and a Collections feature for making lists of places, Reminders has been entirely overhauled to make it more functional, there's a profile feature in Messages along with new Memoji and Animoji stickers, and Siri has a new voice.

There are a ton of additional new features and changes coming in iOS 13, and for a full rundown of what you can expect, you should check out our iOS 13 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Public Betas of iOS 13 and iPadOS

2. GIZBUG, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019

GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Posts containing MAJOR bugs / battery issues, "Can this be used as a DAILY DRIVER" incoming!

Let the party begin! Good luck beta testers!

3. desh.iit macrumors newbie

desh.iit

4. cale508 macrumors 6502

5. Bornee35 macrumors 6502

Bornee35

the ole' is battery life better 10 minutes post release?

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

7. thatJohann macrumors 65816

thatJohann

8. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

Wow! What a great surprise! :D

9. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Installed the second beta a few days ago cuz ... impatient and it is working fine on my iPhone XS Max. Nothing really stops it from being used on a daily base and I am on my iPhone A LOT

10. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I'm considering beta right now on my primary device just because of this! :-D

11. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Just installed the public beta, I'm getting 31 hours on a single charge with it. Pretty impressive stuff!

12. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

You're holding it wrong.

13. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

No ****! that's awesome!

14. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

45 here

15. benshive macrumors regular

I'm not experiencing this bug with the beta but I wish I was

16. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Yep! I wanted to make sure that was a valid number, so I just finished ten more battery drain tests. Averaging 30 hours per test, so I'm extremely pleased.

17. Jimmy Bubbles macrumors 6502

Jimmy Bubbles

TFW the article goes live, yet the site is still down.

18. 0014 macrumors 6502a

Turn off 4G. Thats the workaround.

19. aardwolf macrumors 6502

Dev Beta 2 bug you should be aware of - Cannot send an email through an Exchange server account using the Mail app. Use Outlook as a workaround.

20. FriendlyPanda Suspended

FriendlyPanda

No they don't. That is an isolated bug that does not affect everyone.

21. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

same build as beta 2 dev they should wait till next week for beta 3

22. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

I’ve had the iOS 13 betas on my iPad Pro, 2018 9.7, Apple Watch and iPhone Xs. No big issues on any device other than compatibility with some apps.

23. Jerry Raia macrumors regular

Works fine for me

24. bluespider macrumors 6502

bluespider

is this a real issue with the current beta? I just can't imagine why they would release a public beta with that big of a bug..

25. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

So weird they released this as a public beta, there are way too many bugs I feel, mail, calls going to voice mail etc.