Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 15.4.1 and iPadOS 15.4.1, Apple today released a new 15.4.1 update designed for the HomePod and the HomePod mini. The 15.4.1 update comes two weeks after the release of the 15.4 HomePod software.

homepod-feature-purple.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, the HomePod 15.4.1 software update fixes an issue that could cause some HomeKit accessories to fail to respond when controlled via Siri voice commands.
Software version 15.4.1 addresses an issue where some HomeKit-enabled accessories could fail to respond when controlled via Siri. This update also includes bug fixes for your HomePod.
‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ software is installed automatically on the ‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌ unless the feature is disabled‌‌‌‌, but the ‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ can also be manually updated in the Home app by following the instructions in our HomePod‌‌ update how to.

Article Link: Apple Releases HomePod 15.4.1 Software With Siri Fix

• Haha
Reactions: sorgo † and ikir

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
LET US USE A DIFFERENT WAKE WORD THAN SIRI

MY HOMEPOD MINI IN THE OTHER ROOM ACTIVATES WHEN SAYING HEY SIRI TO MY PHONE RIGHT NEXT TO MY FACE.

solved by giving us wake words options like alexa has done since what 2010.

COME ON

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Even their crash logs are crap.

I don't have any apple tvs on my network. Yet Apple TVOS 14.4 is the OS version. It's just sloppy on Apple's part.

Also check out this key: daily_total_BogusMeasureNotActuallyEverUsed

{"crashreporter_key":"05a9dbc5f6bf1e45a793efc08a35266ba2f13682","bug_type":"211","timestamp":"2021-02-28 19:03:05.00 -0500","os_version":"Apple TVOS 14.4 (18K802)","incident_id":"CC11298C-BC2A-458D-ACBA-6191E86477FE"} {"_marker":"<metadata>","_preferredUserInterfaceLanguage":"en-US","_userInterfaceLanguage":"en","_userSetRegionFormat":"US","configUuid":"a86019aa-d83c-4881-9673-8e3cbd180431","deviceCapacity":32,"startTimestamp":"2021-02-28T03:34:45Z","version":"2.1"} {"message":{"BogusFieldNotActuallyEverUsed":null,"Count":10,"daily_total_BogusMeasureNotActuallyEverUsed":null},"name":"StabilityHeartBeatCount5","sampling":100,"uuid":"3c8f638f-d492-465e-9e27-546a163beac9_2"} {"_marker":"<end-of-file>"}

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Lots of Siri haters... I find that I usually get what I want from her. I was pleased this morning when I heard my phone alarm clock blaring in the distance while I was in the shower, figured I'd have to put up with it's incessancy or go running wet and naked to silence it (didn't think the phone would hear me from inside the shower), then remembered I have a new HomePod mini in the bathroom, asked Siri to silence my alarm, and Siri instantly responded "I've silenced the alarm on one of your devices". Not a difficult task, but I never knew it could do that, and it worked just as I had hoped!

podycust

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2017
Even their crash logs are crap.

I don't have any apple tvs on my network. Yet Apple TVOS 14.4 is the OS version. It's just sloppy on Apple's part.

Also check out this key: daily_total_BogusMeasureNotActuallyEverUsed

{"crashreporter_key":"05a9dbc5f6bf1e45a793efc08a35266ba2f13682","bug_type":"211","timestamp":"2021-02-28 19:03:05.00 -0500","os_version":"Apple TVOS 14.4 (18K802)","incident_id":"CC11298C-BC2A-458D-ACBA-6191E86477FE"} {"_marker":"<metadata>","_preferredUserInterfaceLanguage":"en-US","_userInterfaceLanguage":"en","_userSetRegionFormat":"US","configUuid":"a86019aa-d83c-4881-9673-8e3cbd180431","deviceCapacity":32,"startTimestamp":"2021-02-28T03:34:45Z","version":"2.1"} {"message":{"BogusFieldNotActuallyEverUsed":null,"Count":10,"daily_total_BogusMeasureNotActuallyEverUsed":null},"name":"StabilityHeartBeatCount5","sampling":100,"uuid":"3c8f638f-d492-465e-9e27-546a163beac9_2"} {"_marker":"<end-of-file>"}
That’s might be because the HomePod software is based on tvOS I believe that’s why it’s identified as such in crash log

Reactions: andreyush

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
HomePod Updates are the scariest thing to see lol, and my HomePods currently suck…. So what does that say?!

Since the last update, Siri has been unable to control most homekit devices about 70% of the time, it ALWAYS has an issue when telling it to play Apple Music.

“sorry… this is taking too long” is possible the most annoying phrase I’ve ever heard now, and hear it 7-8 times per day, along with “one second”.

All of this is separate from the HomePods randomly cutting out when music is playing and been an issue for a few updates now.

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
My favorite is when my wife asks Siri to do something and Siri replies "Who's speaking?" God, that pisses my wife off. It happens several times per month. It's me, my wife, and a 9 year old boy (who sounds nothing like my wife). Why is this so difficult? Then there is the shortcut I created to turn off all my lights when I go to bed. I set it up so I say "Hey Siri, Good night" and she replies "Good night?" like she is asking a question. It's so weird.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
TBH Siri needs more than a fix, it needs to be thrown in the garbage and built again from the ground up.
as an adamant Homekit supporter, I finally gave up a few weeks ago and couldn't agree with you more...I just transitioned back to Alexa for all voice automations....I use homekit for background automations, and conditional automations, as well as wall displays (it's just better than any other with that), and switched to Alexa for everything else, it annoys me as hell to have to use 2 platforms, but Siri just ****** SUCKS! PERIOD!

andrewvonpelt

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2016
15.4 broke my siri on HomePods being able to properly set "percentages". I used to set my air purifier fans to some percentage, or set my blinds/shades to 25% for example and that stopped working. I HOPE this fixes it!

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
Lots of Siri haters... I find that I usually get what I want from her. I was pleased this morning when I heard my phone alarm clock blaring in the distance while I was in the shower, figured I'd have to put up with it's incessancy or go running wet and naked to silence it (didn't think the phone would hear me from inside the shower), then remembered I have a new HomePod mini in the bathroom, asked Siri to silence my alarm, and Siri instantly responded "I've silenced the alarm on one of your devices". Not a difficult task, but I never knew it could do that, and it worked just as I had hoped!
my only question for you is how many homepods and apple tv's do you own, how many homekit devices do you have...because if it only works with one, that doesn't mean anything...I honestly believe they only test with one homepod and apple tv, because once you start putting them all over the house, it just doesn't work...I have 7 apple tv's and 10 minis and big homepods scattered around the house...any of them have an issue, whole system goes down, something happens, you have no clue which one is the problem, so you are basically wasting hours unpluggging homepods and apple tv, or restarting iphones and ipads, just to get the ****** lights to turn on...it's CRAZY! and don't get me started with members of the home, and personal voice, that is just a MESS! Look at any youtubers who cover homekit, when they open their home app, they always have no response on devices, always...it's basically impossilbe to have homekit open with everything connected properly when you have hue, wemo, myq, lutron, tv's, ecobee, logitech, faucets all connected to homekit...it's not Siri haters, it just the truth, and if you only tell Siri "silence my alarm" and you think it works and it's perfect...PLEASE!! LMAO!

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004

A large part of the Siri hate should actually be directed towards HomeKit. HomeKit is the PoS that randomly cannot connect to devices, randomly changes the UI [ie the phrases you have to use] for devices, never explains to you why a device no longer works, etc etc.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Any ideas on how to get this to push to my HomePods? They’re in the Appleseed program and the instructions on the site say to look for a profiles button (much like the watch or phone), but it’s not there.

I do have mine in a stereo pair if that matters.

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
my only question for you is how many homepods and apple tv's do you own, how many homekit devices do you have...because if it only works with one, that doesn't mean anything...I honestly believe they only test with one homepod and apple tv, because once you start putting them all over the house, it just doesn't work...I have 7 apple tv's and 10 minis and big homepods scattered around the house...any of them have an issue, whole system goes down, something happens, you have no clue which one is the problem, so you are basically wasting hours unpluggging homepods and apple tv, or restarting iphones and ipads, just to get the ****** lights to turn on...it's CRAZY! and don't get me started with members of the home, and personal voice, that is just a MESS! Look at any youtubers who cover homekit, when they open their home app, they always have no response on devices, always...it's basically impossilbe to have homekit open with everything connected properly when you have hue, wemo, myq, lutron, tv's, ecobee, logitech, faucets all connected to homekit...it's not Siri haters, it just the truth, and if you only tell Siri "silence my alarm" and you think it works and it's perfect...PLEASE!! LMAO!
I agree, we only have two Apple TV’s and four HomePod minis, 2 separate and one stereo pair, plus some lights and other homekit accessories. Having only two HomePods was amazing, having three was “pretty good” but really useful, having 4 has turned into a nightmare.

I can’t possibly imagine adding another HomePod without the whole system being fixed on apples end and reliable on my end for a solid year lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.