Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 17.1.1, Apple released HomePod 17.1.1 software to fix a bug that could cause some HomePod speakers to respond slowly or fail to complete requests.

HomePodandMini-feature-green.jpg

Today's update comes a couple of weeks after the release of the HomePod 17.1 update, which added Enhance Dialogue for the original HomePod and the HomePod mini.

HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌ software is installed automatically on the ‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌ unless the feature is disabled‌‌‌‌, but the ‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌ can also be manually updated in the Home app by following the instructions in our HomePod‌‌ update how to.

Article Link: Apple Releases HomePod 17.1.1 Software With Fix for Siri Response Bug

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
This bug has existed on my HomePod minis since they were released.
Yeah exactly, I’ll believe it’s fixed when I see it.

I frequently hear my wife yelling at her HomePod mini a second time just to turn her mirror lights on in the morning while she does her hair/makeup.

Wife: “Hey siri turn on the mirror lights…”

Siri: “…”

Wife: “HEY SIRI TURN ON THE MIRROR LIGHTS!”

Me: 😂

Siri: “Done!”

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah exactly, I’ll believe it’s fixed when I see it.

I frequently hear my wife yelling at her HomePod mini a second time just to turn her mirror lights on in the morning while she does her hair/makeup.

Wife: “Hey siri turn on the mirror lights…”

Siri: “…l

Wife: “HEY SIRI TURN ON THE MIRROR LIGHTS!”

Me: 😂
I witnessed my mother tell her HomePod connected to the AppleTV "Turn on the TV" and Siri responded "The TV is off".

It does usually work, but occasionally Siri just totally flakes.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
HomePod sounds great but is a complete mess when it comes to smarts.

To think that Steve gave Tim a several years head start on the competition and now it’s dead last and the butt of jokes because it has shown no perceivable progress since then; that level of incompetence is pretty astounding.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Resetting the HomePods is a pain for me, as it breaks all the scenes / shortcuts / automations I have that include them (which is many). HomePods are basically unreliable rubbish at this point (for me). I have a large collection of smart devices and a good network - everything is reliable other than the HomePods. Garbage.

kagharaht

macrumors 65832
Oct 7, 2007
That bug really started with version 15. LOL I have high hopes so here we go.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
HomePod sounds great but is a complete mess when it comes to smarts.

To think that Steve gave Tim a several years head start on the competition and now it’s dead last and the butt of jokes because it has shown no perceivable progress since then; that level of incompetence is pretty astounding.

Tim definitely did not move anything forward, but apparently Siri was a bad purchase as it was essentially a parlor trick. Say exactly the right thing and it does exactly one thing. But it’s difficult to add anything and it’s completely inflexible. A technological dead end.

Tim definitely should have had the foresight to start replacing it before now, that’s for sure.

Reactions: mjs916 and zapmymac

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I only updated from 16 over the weekend. Didn't think they would kick out any updates for a while.

Against my better judgment, I just started the update, as I did have a couple weird glitches.

Updated okay on both OG's 🥳🥳

Note: both HomePods became abnormally warm during update. This is new for me. 94 & 104 degrees on the top area ⚠️⚠️ never had this happen before. Post update, I always ask for the temp and also a joke by pressing the Siri button on each device.

Noticed the heat immediately.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.