Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 17.2, Apple released HomePod 17.2 software with bug fixes and software improvements.

HomePodandMini-feature-green.jpg

Today's update comes over a month after the release of the HomePod 17.1 update, which added Enhance Dialogue for the original HomePod and the HomePod mini.

Apple does not specify what's included in the HomePod 17.2 software, and the generic release notes only say that it includes bug fixes and performance improvements.

HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌ software is installed automatically on the ‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌ unless the feature is disabled‌‌‌‌, but the ‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌ can also be manually updated in the Home app by following the instructions in our HomePod‌‌ update how to.

Article Link: Apple Releases HomePod 17.2 Software With Bug Fixes

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I have the original Homepod and I really don't know what to do with it. It's a decent speaker, but it's just so lonely. I wish one can have cross compatibility between the old and new. I feel like of all the purchases of Apple products I've made over the years, the Homepod is the one I regret the most.

Reactions: samuellavoie

alayal

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2015
I have the original Homepod and I really don't know what to do with it. It's a decent speaker, but it's just so lonely. I wish one can have cross compatibility between the old and new. I feel like of all the purchases of Apple products I've made over the years, the Homepod is the one I regret the most.
buy another one in the used market, it is what I did to have a stereo pair

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Does it fix Whats Playing on homepods from showing up on my phone and my watch because I am seriously sick of that. I have homepods playing all the time, I don't even see my watch face anymore because everytime I raise my wrist I see the stupid cover art for whatever song whatever homepod in my house is playing. HATE HATE HATE this. And dont say "disable handoff" cause that doesnt fix a damn thing.

pappl

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
Hoping for following fixes:
- Thread enabled devices were unreachable intermittently. E.g my EVE smart plugs.

- „Hey Siri, play my playlist XY“ doesn‘t work as family shared member (user), not the family admin.
Siri can‘t find any playlists of family members or sometimes doesn‘t recognize my voice.

- My Homepod mini initial setup stuck in configuring when initial firmware is 14.x.

- Feature Request: Add recurring reminders and use saved shortcuts for automations.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
I have 2 of them - for now they work great with my aTV.

But lately, I start to realize most of apple products have high risk of becoming obsolete too soon.
I don't regret having them, I regret spending so much money on them.

Reactions: Razorpit

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
OG HomePod downloading it... updating it... taking its time 😅

It's been glitchy for ages... as usual, fingers crossed that this is the release that fixes it! Especially now I have a brand new high end router, there's no excuses for it misbehaving.

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
They’re normally around 400-700mb mark, I thought. Wonder why it’s so large this time

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
OG HomePod downloading it... updating it... taking its time 😅

It's been glitchy for ages... as usual, fingers crossed that this is the release that fixes it! Especially now I have a brand new high end router, there's no excuses for it misbehaving.
30 mins after it started... it's still updating. 🥶

Reactions: davvid97

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Ironically after 17.1 that was supposed to make Siri more responsive, my HomePod minis are slower than ever.
Hue lights, hub in the same room. Siri on my phone turns them off instantly. The HomePods take a good three to five seconds every time.
Stereo pair to Apple TV is laggy.

Hope this actually fixes the bugs.

Edit: it is a little better actually. Back to how it was about 17.0. Good not great.

Last edited:

Flying Grayson

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2020
I have 4 HomePod Minis and I firmly believe this update won’t fix their many problems. I want to speak highly of them but I can’t. Although the sound quality is pretty good. I’ve never experienced an Apple product that’s so consistently riddled with bugs.

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
I’m really hoping this fixes the weird HomeKit lag introduced in iOS 17.

Edit: it does not. HomeKit still sucks.

Last edited:

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Does it fix Whats Playing on homepods from showing up on my phone and my watch because I am seriously sick of that. I have homepods playing all the time, I don't even see my watch face anymore because everytime I raise my wrist I see the stupid cover art for whatever song whatever homepod in my house is playing. HATE HATE HATE this. And dont say "disable handoff" cause that doesnt fix a damn thing.
Apple Watch App - General - Auto Launch - Turn off Auto-Launch Audio Apps

Nozgog

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2019
OG HomePod Stereo Pair not updating - briefly shows “Downloading” but then stops

Currently on 17.1.1

HomePod minis updated fine

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Five hours later, both my HomePod 2 stereo pair and Mini stereo pair are stuck on "being configured."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.