Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 17.3, iPadOS 17.3, macOS Sonoma 14.3, and tvOS 17.3 Apple released HomePod 17.3 software with bug fixes and software improvements.

HomePodandMini-feature.jpg

Today's update comes over a month after the release of the HomePod 17.2 update.

Apple does not specify what's included in the HomePod 17.3 software, and the generic release notes only say that it brings stability and performance improvements.

HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌ software is installed automatically on the ‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌ unless the feature is disabled‌‌‌‌, but the ‌‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌‌ can also be manually updated in the Home app by following the instructions in our HomePod‌‌ update how to.

Article Link: Apple Releases HomePod 17.3 Software

Reactions: Aves and davvid97

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I'm sure it won't fix "Sorry this is taking too long", "I didn't get that", "Audio cutting in and out when play everywhere is asked", "There is a problem with Apple Music", "Siri ignoring you completely" "Volume suddenly gets louder then lower if you have Dolby Atmos enabled"...the list goes on and on.

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
“Who’s speaking?” Several times per week along with Siri completely ignoring me are the most frustrating to me. What the hell has Apple done to this solution? Remember when you could whisper across the room and Siri would hear and respond???

Antes

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
my OG HomePod that I bought when it first released is starting to making random crackling pop noises :/ here’s hoping it’s something software related vs hardware.

Queues

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2020
I'm sure it won't fix "Sorry this is taking too long", "I didn't get that", "Audio cutting in and out when play everywhere is asked", "There is a problem with Apple Music", "Siri ignoring you completely" "Volume suddenly gets louder then lower if you have Dolby Atmos enabled"...the list goes on and on.
Yeah I’ve given up hope on ever having the “There is a problem with Apple Music” and the like getting fixed for me. I won’t be buying another HomePod after this unless the OS gets a major revamp.

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
my OG HomePod that I bought when it first released is starting to making random crackling pop noises :/ here’s hoping it’s something software related vs hardware.
Hardware sadly :(

Eventually it will start making super loud farting noises, not even kidding. Woke me up one night and I thought my house exploded for a moment. I'm sitting happily with a HomePod GEN2 now, sounds just as great.

Reactions: SFjohn

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Mine are actually working fairly well right now, kind of afraid to touch them.

Edit: as usual couldn’t resist and did it anyway. The usual weirdness after the first reboot. I’ve found that Apple devices for whatever reason tend to work better after an update when you do a second reboot yourself, rather than just the one that the update does.

Might just be a voodoo ritual but it works, everything is fine. By the way I’m basically using them just as a stereo pair with an Apple TV and to control the lights in that room. That was all very buggy with 17 but is finally working well now.

Last edited:

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
hardware. I have the same since 1 year. seems to be a capacitor issue. it’s a ticking bomb sadly….

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I'm keeping my HomePods on 17.2 & letting my Apple TV stay on 17.3. My Home app has been the most stable without the HomePods tripping over themselves to be the Home hub.

postingtime

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2019
All of these things happen to us constantly lately! Fingers crossed it’s getting fixed with this…

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
There is a problem with Apple Music...this drives me crazy.

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
one of my OG HomePods died last year. I sent it to Nic and he fixed it for under $100. Highly recommended! You can watch him fix it live on YouTube. I would do it again when my other OG eventually dies. It’s like a stupid 10 cent resistor…https://nicsfix.com/

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
Anyone else having trouble installing 17.3? On my OG HomePod, it installed immediately. On my minis, though, it downloads, but then gets stuck spinning on "Installing..." for a length period of time before just giving up and stopping. And apparently losing the download, since it then has to be redownloaded.

I've tried unplugging and plugging the minis back in, restarting them from Home.app, quitting Home.app... Nothing seems to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.