Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases HP Printer Driver 1.1.1

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today released HP Printer Driver 1.1.1. The release notes suggest that this update contains a fix for an issue with LaserJet Printer Presets.

The update weighs in at 405 MB, requires Mac OS X 10.5.3 or later, and will only be visible in Software Update if a printer requiring the update "is connected to your computer or a print queue has been created for an earlier version." Apple previously released HP Printer Driver 1.1 via Software Update in late July.

Article Link

BVGuitarPlayer

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
I wonder if it will mess up my LaserJet 1020, whose software has not historically been fun to install, as you must download the 1022 driver and then the software convinces itself that you actually have a 1020. That's fun.

Comment

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
I hope they fixed the issue with not being able to scan from a HP all-in-one inkjet over Bonjour.

The last update broke this feature and I had to re-download and install the old driver from HP.com

Comment

ZrSiO4-Zircon

macrumors member
May 30, 2007
Washington State
Can't we just download the driver for just the printer we have, instead of drivers for every printer from a manufacturer? 405MB is the price we pay to make it easy.

I'll just go to HP directly for my specific driver :p

Comment

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
hm, not sure if this driver applies to my all still cant scan from C4280 ...i tried the Feb 2008 HP Software update as well; nothing.

it keeps telling me there is no USB cable attached...well clearly there is, i can print and all that fun stuff but not scan (scanning by: pressing the scan button, or selecting new scan from any software; or over the network)

Comment

xix

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Well, it's the driver for EVERY HP printer, is it not?

I thought that's what this thing was supposed to be, anyway.

If so, that doesn't seem too large.

It updates a lot of printers but not all.

405 MB for a printer driver? Does anyone else find that ridiculous?

It's more of an HP driver update than a printer driver. It updates a lot of printer drivers.

Comment

heyjp

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
Weird way to determine update

That seems like a weird way to determine the update! I print over a wireless network, so my B&W laserjet at home and Color laserjet at work are never "hard connected". So the only way for me to update is to start a big print job then hustle and do "software update" and hope the job doesn't finish first. Then do it again at home!

So I guess I have to run the updater twice? While it's printing to each printer?

Weird.

Jim

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I ended up with unresolvable issues on my last HP printer after installing the july update. Everything works fine now, and I'm going to keep it that way by not installing this update.

Comment

Martog

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
I have a Laserjet 1300 and it gave me a 52.4MB download, eh wouldn't have cared either way. :)

Comment

Impulse29

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2004
405MB? I know mine was big but not that big! I'm pretty sure my update was only like 56MB. I have an HP LaserJet 1012.

Comment

CrossFireXT17

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today released HP Printer Driver 1.1.1. The release notes suggest that this update contains a fix for an issue with LaserJet Printer Presets.

The update weighs in at 405 MB, requires Mac OS X 10.5.3 or later, and will only be visible in Software Update if a printer requiring the update "is connected to your computer or a print queue has been created for an earlier version." Apple previously released HP Printer Driver 1.1 via Software Update in late July.

Article Link

I just downloaded it... it's 105MB for me, I think it's a typo!

Comment

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Can't we just download the driver for just the printer we have, instead of drivers for every printer from a manufacturer? 405MB is the price we pay to make it easy.

There's convenience and then there's stupidity. Unless you work at HP in their hardware design dept, your chances of coming into contact with more than three of their printers in your regular life are slim. Even if you buy a new HP printer after your old one breaks, you're going to need to get a different driver anyway since the bundle you downloaded before wont cover a new model released a few years later.

Comment

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I'm confused by these updates. When Leopard came out it didn't support my printer (a cheapo DeskJet F2180) so I downloaded some drivers from HP. This includes all the tools for Scanning stuff, some Photo tools (which I never use), and various device utilities. Will this driver package update all these tools as well or is it just an underlying thing? Could it in fact break these tools?

Also if I check 'HP Software Update' it says there are no updates available direct from HP.

What should I do? Stick the Apple drivers on, or just ignore them given that the printer prints fine as it is?

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I hope they fixed the issue with not being able to scan from a HP all-in-one inkjet over Bonjour.

The last update broke this feature and I had to re-download and install the old driver from HP.com

I just had a "2+2=4" moment right now and these are the PRINTER drivers, so I'm guessing it won't update the scanner portion of the all-in-ones. Why it would break scanner functionality, I don't know. But I have a few 3970 scanners @ work & I saw they have a (somewhat) new 1.0 version of the scanner software. Maybe that'll help?

Comment

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
hm, not sure if this driver applies to my all still cant scan from C4280 ...i tried the Feb 2008 HP Software update as well; nothing.

it keeps telling me there is no USB cable attached...well clearly there is, i can print and all that fun stuff but not scan (scanning by: pressing the scan button, or selecting new scan from any software; or over the network)

Mine works fine. There might be an issue with the printer itself.

Comment

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
I'm confused by these updates. When Leopard came out it didn't support my printer (a cheapo DeskJet F2180) so I downloaded some drivers from HP. This includes all the tools for Scanning stuff, some Photo tools (which I never use), and various device utilities. Will this driver package update all these tools as well or is it just an underlying thing? Could it in fact break these tools?

Also if I check 'HP Software Update' it says there are no updates available direct from HP.

What should I do? Stick the Apple drivers on, or just ignore them given that the printer prints fine as it is?

"If it aint broke, dont fix it." Words of wisdom from from a redneck friend of mine.

Comment

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I wonder if it will mess up my LaserJet 1020, whose software has not historically been fun to install, as you must download the 1022 driver and then the software convinces itself that you actually have a 1020. That's fun.

That would be nice if it worked. Saves giving my 1020 away if it does, The 'hack' worked for a while then stopped completely for me. Seems that the entire chassis for that printer isn't supported. A few oem base lasers on it and none of them are Mac compatible.

Mind you it always seemed to draw the paper in at a slight angle, so maybe its worth getting rid of it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.