Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Is your printer turned on and connected to your Mac when you run Software update? If it isn't, SU won't see it and therefore will decide you don't need the update.

Rich :cool:

Correction, you do not have to be connected. You just have had to use it recently so that the system recognizes it as being an active driver. SU will not update drivers unless they have been made active on that computer.

mk14, not all drivers have been updated. Just a few. If yours is not one of them it will not update.

Bonked

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2005
1012 issues

1012 worked for me with the original snow leopard set of drivers...this doesn't sound right.

The 1012 works plugged directly into the computer, but will not function when connected to an airport extreme 'g' base station. I've heard that it will work with an 'n' base station, but I haven't gotten confirmation of that. Anyone?

mk14

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2005
Is your printer turned on and connected to your Mac when you run Software update? If it isn't, SU won't see it and therefore will decide you don't need the update.

Turning on the (networked) printer doesn't make a difference. I don't think it's even necessary - as soon as I added a bogus printer (invalid IP address etc.) with a Brother driver, the 2.1 Brother update appeared.

mk14

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2005
I added a bogus HP LaserJet 1022 (with an invalid IP address) and now the 2.2 update shows up.

So my experiment's conclusion is: even if you have earlier versions of the printer driver package installed (e.g. 2.0 that came on the install DVD or the recent 2.1 update), it does not get updated to the most recent version unless you have a printer installed that is affected by the update. I guess this makes sense to a certain extent - however, considering this it doesn't really make sense to install all printer drivers from the install DVD in order to have them ready if you ever need them (e.g. when hooking up to a printer while not having an internet connection).
I think you should either get all subsequent driver updates if you installed an earlier version of the driver package. Alternatively, I would prefer if Snow Leopard only downloaded/installed a printer driver when you actually need it - i.e. why do I need to download the complete HP driver package just to be able to use my HP LaserJet 1022?

n20nine

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
My HP P1006 works. Can't believe it too sooo long. Not like this is an old crusty printer!

I have the same printer. As I remember, it supports duplex printing in Windows, unfortunately I can do so in OS X, also when I am out of paper, there is no option to continue printing once I add more paper :(

TheGraphicMac

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
In a house
FWIW, I updated my HP C5180 AIO printer which is connected to my TimeCapsule; the printer was turned off (though I had used it earlier that day), and it updated just fine.

kris1212

macrumors newbie
what about OS X?

Sorry if this is a re-hash of this question, but I haven't found an answer that addresses my particular situation. I recently bought an iMac 9,1 running OS X 10.5.8. I tried to install my HP Officejet 6310 -- about 6 times and counting. Each time, I get a message at the end of the install that says HPIO Trap Monitor Quit Unexpectedly. Then the system prompts me to run HP Setup Manager, which fails to detect my printer. I can print via bluetooth, but I can't scan or manage certain printer options, like color printing. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times and have disconnected and powered down my printer a bunch of times. I don't know what the "Trap Monitor" is or if it is the source of my problem. I also have not been able to identify if there is a software update that I need.

So...li'l help for the newbie over here? please?? :confused:

Diesar

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
HP Laserjet P1005 Printer Driver for Mac OS 10.6

Guys,

I had troubles with my HP Laserjet P1005 Printer under OS 10.6, so I deleted all hp drivers from the folder Library/Printers, and then plugged in the printer again. The system automatically ask to install the plugin... and "voila", the printer works perfect! Even the icon changes in the dock, showing a small picture of the HP Laserjet P1005.

Best wishes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.