Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Soft-bricked, then. This site's staff frequently uses the term "bricked" when these situations occur - here's a good example: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/13/ios-10-update-bricking-iphones-and-ipads/

Well - they're using it wrong too

The fact of the matter is that my phone is useless until I get home and perform a restore.

THIS!!

It was temporarily bricked, until the user came back to the computer it was originally set up on.

"soft" bricked, "temporarily" bricked don't really convey the meaning. What is it? A nerf brick? :) The phone was temporarily eff'd up, but it wan't bricked.

From Wikipedia: "In the common usage of the term, "bricking" suggests that the damage is so serious as to have rendered the device permanently unusable"

But I'll stop now because it's pretty much spitting in the ocean......

camilaacolide

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2014
Out of curiosity what apps are you viewing as essential that haven't been updated to 64 bit yet?
Well, being a little pedantic, he didn't say essential apps; he said favorite apps.

I'm on the same boat: these are not essential, but two apps that I use ALL THE TIME SINCE FOREVER, are Chwazi (to select players in games) and ChimeO'Clock (to say each hour aloud with a voice similar to GLAdOS).

These apps will definitely make me think twice before upgrading to iOS11.

soanis

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Europe
iPad mini 2 and iPhone 5s updated without issue :)

Updated my iPhone 5s without problems :)

I hope you guys test it for a few days and let us know if it's worth updating for the 5s.

I've been having lotsa lag when I rapid switch between apps, rotate the phone or type in dialog boxes or bars...(I'm on 10.3.2)
Battery life has been dreadful as well...

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
All of my "tweaked" apps are no longer working with this update. Do they update them so that they work with the latest iOS versions? And yes I know I'm being naughty and you're not supposed to install them in the first place, but I am gutted.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
during the short beta testing period

I don't think this could be called a short beta testing period, it was more than 2 months long, longer than the beta phase for even 10.3.0. This makes sense of course, given 10.3.3 may be the last release for a number of devices, and the changes related to APFS filename normalisation, but a short beta it was not.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Well, being a little pedantic, he didn't say essential apps; he said favorite apps.

I'm on the same boat: these are not essential, but two apps that I use ALL THE TIME SINCE FOREVER, are Chwazi (to select players in games) and ChimeO'Clock (to say each hour aloud with a voice similar to GLAdOS).

These apps will definitely make me think twice before upgrading to iOS11.

Well essential enough that he's willing to forgo an upgrade because of them. Anyway, the reason I asked is I'm interested to know of apps that have such a following that even though they haven't been updated in years (presumably if they're still 32 bit after all this time) people are willing to give up a new OS and new features to keep them. Potentially there's a gem in there.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
It appears they updated the contrast in this small update. Someone noticed it on beta 6. I just compared between 2 iPhone 7 plus's one with the update and one without. The updated phone has a brighter contrast to my eye. Looks better. It's possible it's the variance between the two screens but I'm thinking probably not since multiple people have noticed it. I'll update the second phone and compare again.

Note: it was mentioned that maybe it's only been changed on the DCI-P3 ios devices but it's only speculation.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
why is it they release all variants of OS together on the same day? It seems for things like continuity they might depend on each other but they should still have to work with older or newer versions of accessory devices. Just seems like an unnecessary restriction on themselves.
[doublepost=1500514797][/doublepost]Doesn't seem to be recognizing my Apple Car anymore ;)

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
That's not the only annoying notification you get, I really wish Apple went back to 'the old days' where you didn't get such notifications at all, the one I really dislike is the one showing up if you don't have internet, yeah F***, I know I don't have internet, I can see that I don't have WIFI or 2-3-4G.
Yeah. I wish there was a way to turn off 1x,3G. I would rather have none than those alternatives. Just give me LTE and that's it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah. I wish there was a way to turn off 1x,3G. I would rather have none than those alternatives. Just give me LTE and that's it.
Except for where/where there isn't a good (or any) LTE signal.

n20nine

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Massive battery drain after updating from .2 to .3 on iP7+. Phone was recently swapped out at the Genius Bar, so new phone. Have done hard resets, cleared background apps etc. What next?

kalakana

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
Just sit back and relax. If the phone is recently swapped out then it takes some charging cycles to "learn" about the battery. I would suggest doing full charge cycles 100% -> 0% -> 100% etc, so the phone would get a better pictures of your device.

Massive battery drain after updating from .2 to .3 on iP7+. Phone was recently swapped out at the Genius Bar, so new phone. Have done hard resets, cleared background apps etc. What next?

n20nine

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Just sit back and relax. If the phone is recently swapped out then it takes some charging cycles to "learn" about the battery. I would suggest doing full charge cycles 100% -> 0% -> 100% etc, so the phone would get a better pictures of your device.

Thanks, will try that.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
If these are critical vulnerabilities, then what the hell took them 2 months as to resolve them ?
And if the Wifi chip/addressbar spoofing issues were resolved in 10.3.1, do we get informed as why those returned in 10.3.2 (and possibly the iOS 11 beta's with parallel development)
Are the Crown Jewels in the hands of sw professionals or hanky pank guys...?

Last edited:

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015

Might be just a Spotlight reindex and if they changed anything in APFS everything will get converted again. But I don't know if the latter happens while the installation process or after.

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Updating my 6S+ via iTunes fubar'd my device yesterday. I had to do a full recovery and then iTunes wouldn't let me restore the backup it made since it kept prompting for a password I didn't set. Had to restore my iCloud backup from way early yesterday morning and it lost all of my photos and folders since those weren't being sync'd to iCloud due to the size.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If these are critical vulnerabilities, then what the hell took them 2 months as to resolve them ?
And if the Wifi chip/addressbar spoofing issues were resolved in 10.3.1, do we get informed as why those returned in 10.3.2 (and possibly the iOS 11 beta's with parallel development)
Are the Crown Jewels in the hands of sw professionals or hanky pank guys...?
What wifi chip address bar spoofing issues returned on 10.3.3? Maybe Apple has the wrong head of development. This is an issue that is far worse on android where almost 50% aren't even randomized. Where is the head of development for android?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.