Apple Releases iOS 12.3 With New TV App and Channels Feature

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released iOS 12.3, the third major update to the iOS 12 operating system that first launched in September 2018. iOS 12.3 comes over a month after the release of iOS 12.2, an update that introduced the Apple News+ service, brought new Animoji, and included dozens of other changes.

The iOS 12.3 update is available on all eligible devices over-the-air in the Settings app. To access the update, go to Settings > General > Software Update. As with all iOS updates, iOS 12.3 is free to download, but it may take some time for iOS 12.3 to propagate to all iOS users.

[​IMG]

Much of the iOS 12.3 update focuses on the TV app, which has been overhauled and enhanced with a new look and fresh functionality. Apple first introduced the updated TV app at its March 25 event, and after several weeks of beta testing, the new app is ready for its launch.

In the overhauled TV app, "Watch Now" and "Up Next" are still front and center for keeping track of the TV shows and movies that you're watching, but there's a new machine learning-based recommendation engine that offers up customized content suggestions based on your viewing preferences and history.

[​IMG]

The TV app's interface has been streamlined with sections for movies, TV shows, sports, and children's content, and on iOS devices, there's a bottom navigation bar for accessing the library, search, and Watch Now options.

[​IMG]

Apple added a new "Channels" feature in the TV app, which is a major component of the company's new services push. Channels are subscription services that you can sign up for and watch within the TV app without having to open up another app, and when you use them, Apple gets a cut of the subscription revenue.

As an example, if you come across a show you want to watch on iPhone or Apple TV that's on HBO, Showtime, or Starz and you don't already have a subscription, you can tap to subscribe right in the TV app and then watch the show right away without having to open a third-party app.

Some of the new Channels that will be supported include Acorn TV, CBS All Access, Starz, Showtime, HBO, Nickelodeon, Mubi, Tastemade, Cinemax, Sundance, EPIX, Smithsonian, The History Channel Vault, and Comedy Central Now.

[​IMG]

You're still going to get recommendations for content from services that aren't part of the Channels feature, but non-channel content will still need to be watched in a third-party app. You'll also find all of your iTunes TV shows and movies available in the TV app, and you can purchase new content too.

The new Apple TV app is available in more than 100 countries starting today, and with Family Sharing, up to six family members are able to share subscriptions to Apple TV channels. Channels content can be watched both online or offline.

Today's update also includes support for AirPlay 2-enabled TVs, allowing you to AirPlay content like TV shows and movies to compatible television sets from companies like LG, Samsung, Vizio, and more.
    When Apple's Apple TV+ service launches this fall, you'll be able to watch all of Apple's original TV shows and movies in the TV app as well as existing content.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 12.3 With New TV App and Channels Feature

2. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Is this the first time we go between two x.y releases without an x.y.z in between?

I don't recall this happening before, going straight from 12.2 to 12.3 without even a 12.2.1!

3. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I'm guessing we'll get a 12.3.1 or 12.4 beta soon with the Apple Card coming out in the summer

4. maverick28 macrumors regular

Who the **** needs AppleTV? What about bug fixes and stability improvement? Jesus!

5. otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

Which is of no value whatsoever to non subscribers or users outside of the US of A.

Is there anything else that's worthwhile in this update?

6. smaffei macrumors regular

So, I'm assuming the AppleTV OS will be updated too… Any word on the Roku and Fire TV apps?

7. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

OTA is not available for me yet. What about y'all?

Edit: Even though it isn't 10am yet, I'm still curious.

8. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

...If only the release notes attached to the end of the article said, "This update also includes bug fixes and improvements." Kelly Clarkson!

9. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

Edit: I know its still before the expected release time, but I'm still curious

10. smaffei macrumors regular

Nope. But it's not 1PM EST yet, so…

11. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Not sure where you are, but it isn't 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern here yet ;)

12. canadianpj macrumors 6502

Hey, thanks for speaking for everyone. I'm personally looking forward to this feature and want it very much.

13. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

lol yeah I realized that right after I posted and I tagged it onto my last post

14. metalsiren macrumors 6502

metalsiren

Apple always adds bug fixes etc... the problem is they SUCK at release notes. The should have detailed release notes with bug ID and fixed etc... no different that other companies like Cisco, etc

15. tsukeyomi macrumors newbie

tsukeyomi

Why even push this update outside the USA? Completely useless

16. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Well at least Apple allows us to delete apps we'll never use like the TV app.

17. amill9601 macrumors newbie

amill9601

They’ve done this before all the way back with iOS 8; 8.2 to 8.3 to 8.4

18. Benz63amg macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

Will macos and watchOS updates comes out today as well?

19. axantas macrumors 6502

axantas

Just skip the part with "Apple TV" and take the hopefully corrected bugs.
    So: nothing really visible, but generally running smoother.

20. Appleman3546 macrumors newbie

Appleman3546

Releasing Apple TV plus and Apple news Plus is a good way to build up a subscriber base before the App Store monopoly on iOS comes to an end (forcing Apple to compete with similar apps at the same price point without the Apple 30% cut).

21. Kagio macrumors regular

I just need an iPhone X Wifi FIX. IT SUCKS. Anybody else? Answer is yes according to my research...

Signal/speed is way slower, ONLY on iPhone X .. trying other devices at same spot will perform way better.

22. Planey28 macrumors 6502

Positivity and cognitive thought as always on MacRumors comments I see.

23. gigapocket1 macrumors 65832

don't know if I should believe this article or not... 9to5 hasn't reported it

24. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

AppleTV+ will be a worldwide release.

A2BDF9B7-F1D0-4D8B-A684-9DE92D08ECE4.jpeg