Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the release of iOS 12, watchOS 5, and tvOS 12, Apple today officially launched the Shortcuts app for iOS devices.

On iPhones and iPads running iOS 12, the Shortcuts app can be used to create multi-step shortcuts using first and third-party apps that can be activated by Siri voice command.

shortcutslibrary-800x655.jpg

So, for example, you can create a shortcut to do something like turn on the thermostat at home using the Nest app, text your roommate that you're on the way with Messages, and open up the Maps app with directions home all with a single "I'm going home" Siri command.

Shortcuts are deeply customizable, with third-party apps able to expose a series of quick actions to Siri that can be incorporated into your Shortcuts recipes. Starting today, thousands of apps are releasing updates with Siri Shortcuts support, giving us our first real look at all of the things that shortcuts can do. Apple's release notes for the Shortcuts app are below:
Siri Shortcuts deliver a quick way to get things done with your apps with just a tap or by asking Siri. The Shortcuts app enables you to create personal shortcuts with multiple steps from your favorite apps. Start from hundreds of examples in the Gallery or drag and drop to create your own.

Shortcuts includes over 300 built-in actions and works with many of your favorite apps including Contacts, Calendar, Maps, Music, Photos, Camera, Reminders, Safari, Health as well as any app that supports Siri Shortcuts.

Use the Shortcuts app to:
- Get directions home, send your ETA and start listening to the news, just by asking Siri
- Add a home screen icon that calls a loved one
- Make animated GIFs
- Make PDFs from Safari or any app with a share sheet
- Get directions to the nearest coffee shop in one tap
- Tweet the song you're listening to
- Get all of the images on a web page
- Send a message including the last screenshot you took
- And so much more...

Shortcuts can be launched from the Today widget, from Search or by asking Siri. You can even add an app icon to your home screen for your favorite Shortcuts.

Shortcuts opens up incredible possibilities to automate things you do regularly on your iPhone and iPad.
The new Shortcuts app was based on the Workflow app that Apple acquired last year, and the Workflow app been replaced with Shortcuts. Shortcuts can be downloaded from the App Store for free starting now. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 12 Shortcuts App for All Users, Update Replaces Workflow

motm95

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I know the quote says "Siri Shortcuts deliver a quick way to get things done with your apps with just a tap or by asking Siri..." but wanted to ask the collective: having not tried the beta, does Shortcuts /require/ the use of Siri? I really don't like talking to my phone and much prefer the tap interface of Workflow.

Also, I have lots of custom Workflows. Will they import into Shortcuts? Seems like Shortcuts is pretty basic compared to Workflow. Any way to keep Workflow too?

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
So I'm trying to figure out what exactly I can and can't do with this. Can anybody help? I'd like to set the following up:

When I connect to my vehicle bluetooth in the morning I'd like it to close my garage (I do have a HomeKit enabled garage door), get traffic info to my child's daycare and work, and start playing music. Is this possible?

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
I know the quote says "Siri Shortcuts deliver a quick way to get things done with your apps with just a tap or by asking Siri..." but wanted to ask the collective: having not tried the beta, does Shortcuts /require/ the use of Siri? I really don't like talking to my phone and much prefer the tap interface of Workflow.
Yeah you can still use the same interactions as Workflow.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
So I'm trying to figure out what exactly I can and can't do with this. Can anybody help? I'd like to set the following up:

When I connect to my vehicle bluetooth in the morning I'd like it to close my garage (I do have a HomeKit enabled garage door), get traffic info to my child's daycare and work, and start playing music. Is this possible?

Your helicopter has a garage.. and has to worry about traffic? :D

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Updated the app but my hopes for using this with NFC tags has been dashed.

Johnnyhandsome

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2017

Alongside the release of iOS 12, watchOS 5, and tvOS 12, Apple today officially launched the Shortcuts app for iOS devices.

On iPhones and iPads running iOS 12, the Shortcuts app can be used to create multi-step shortcuts using first and third-party apps that can be activated by Siri voice command.

shortcutslibrary-800x655.jpg

So, for example, you can create a shortcut to do something like turn on the thermostat at home using the Nest app, text your roommate that you're on the way with Messages, and open up the Maps app with directions home all with a single "I'm going home" Siri command.

Shortcuts are deeply customizable, with third-party apps able to expose a series of quick actions to Siri that can be incorporated into your Shortcuts recipes. Starting today, thousands of apps are releasing updates with Siri Shortcuts support, giving us our first real look at all of the things that shortcuts can do. Apple's release notes for the Shortcuts app are below:The new Shortcuts app was based on the Workflow app that Apple acquired last year, and the Workflow app been replaced with Shortcuts. Shortcuts can be downloaded from the App Store for free starting now. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 12 Shortcuts App for All Users, Update Replaces Workflow
[doublepost=1537206624][/doublepost]Looks very Windows 10 esque.

Reactions: nekonokami

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
How do I get Siri to take input for Things? I created a shortcut to add something to my home list, and when I use Siri with it, it just opens up the app with a text box to type something in, or if I create the same shortcut in Things, it automatically opens up Things with a prompt to create the shortcut. But I want to use my voice. When I try to say "Add to my list clean the gutters", for instance, it adds it to my reminders app. Is it too similar to what the reminders app uses? This is quite confusing.

EDIT: I think I've figured it out. Basically I think my query was too similar to a built-in system item. I also specified that this particular phrase add to my home list, so I'm not sure yet if it would automatically pick up on which list if you didn't specify.

IMG_2360.PNG

Last edited:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Can you disable auto-brightness using Shortcuts? I want to create a “driving mode” that automatically disables auto-brightness, launches Google Maps, turns the volume up etc.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I would like to tell Siri to start my truck so I don’t have to go in the app. Hope Ford makes happen.

Reactions: Pow!

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Wow, this is a pretty sloppy re-skin of the old Workflow app. It doesn't feel like a first-party App at all.

• It's full of shortcuts for Apps I don't have, which hide shortcuts for Apps I do have.
    (e.g. Fantastical, Omnifocus, Instapaper, Evernote - I don't use any of them).
  • Above also means some workflows are extremely suboptimal, e.g. "Browse favourite subreddits" opens in Safari, not the Reddit App.
  • The "News" workflows do not support Apple News, instead use menus of RSS feeds.
  • Apple Music genre playlists workflow is just menu of hard-coded web links, so you can't integrate with other actions.
  • Some workflows duplicate existing in-app functionality (e.g. Apple Music > "Duplicate Playlist").
  • Running a shortcut switches you out of the App you're using, e.g. GIPHY search.
Workflow was always a relatively well-made App, but you expect more from an official Apple app. You expect thorough integration with the other first-party Apps already on the device, as well as other Apple services.

I expected an awful lot more from one of the headline features of iOS 12.

Reactions: Regbial

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
"So, for example, you can create a shortcut to do something like turn on the thermostat at home using the Nest app"

This is literally something I'd love to set up a shortcut for as I own a Nest thermostat. I've been trying to do this in the app for 5 minutes. Either this is false advertising or not intuitive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.